| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help de-glutenizing a pear tart recipe?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:07 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

ok hoping some of y'all experts can help me out here!

Ive been making a carmelized pear tart (from the mediterranean vegan kitchen carmelized apple tart recipe) for the markets and several people have asked me about doing a gluten free one. The crust is basically oil and wheat flour put in the food processor, with a bit of sugar and aniseseed. it is a relatively thin crust. then you top it with pears and sugar and a bit of oil, and fold the crust edges over to make a rustic edge

Id like to make a gluten-free version. We were thinking almond flour, but almond flour by itself is way way wayy too pricey to be feasible. Suggestions? most of the GF flours are pretty pricey actually.... rice flour is affordable but often gives a flexible rubbery texture in my experience. i tried a glutenfree baking mix which had rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch (for some cookies, not for this recipe...i havent tried any gluten free adaptation of this recipe yet), and the baking mix turned my cookies into a nightmare--rubbery AND hard as a rock. go figure.
I guess maybe I could grind gluten free oats in my coffee grinder and try to make GF oat flour and mix that with the almond...? still pricey for those oats and a fair bit of work to grind them, but... ???

thanks

kaybee

Post subject: Re: help de-glutenizing a pear tart recipe?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just helped make a gf tart crust at the kitchen i'm interning at today, it had corn flour (not cornstarch), and rice flour. I have had a lot of luck with brown rice flour in baking. And maybe use margarine and or shortening in place of the oil? it might help make it more flakey. I think a mix of rice flour with the almond meal would be good and maybe a little xanthan? but see what the GF experts say!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:53 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

hmm. im also thinking now of a problem with almonds though...this thing has to be carmelized, so, put under the broiler until the pears and sugar start to carmelize. i doubt the almonds will hold up to that..they will probably burn... :/

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I dunno, if you fill the tart up all the way, i don't think it'd burn, or you can put foil around the edges of the crust or something. or buy yourself a blow torch!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:13 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I use this recipe for pie crust. It works very well and is super tender and flaky once baked, so it suits a classic pie, but it might not be rustic enough (or sturdy enough?) for your tart. In any case maybe it can be a jumping off point for you?

1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup sweet (sometimes called sticky or glutinous rice flour--"glutinous" meaning sticky, not gluten containing!)
1 T sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 T cold lemon juice
1/2 cup cold soymilk
3/4 cup cold vegetable shortening

Combine the soymilk and lemon juice, leave to curdle. Sift together the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening until you have crumbs. Stir in the liquids and gently knead to combine. You should still have visible bits of fat; it won't be a perfectly even dough, just smooth. Try not to over-handle it. Can be rolled out or chilled for a bit if it's difficult to work with.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:10 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks.
I think I will try both of these, a mix of brown rice and almond, and the one posted above, if i can find sweet rice flour...i know we dont have it in the health shop here :/ Not sure if the corn flour-brown rice flour crust would work with this recipe... i know we have corn starch, and corn meal, but i dont think ive seen corn flour, and the idea of either starch, or the flavor and texture of the meal dont seem like they would taste good/work :/

Ah! thanks for reminding me about the tinfoil for the almond crust, that might save it. I had thought of that the other day but then forgotten.

Ill update how I get on. the gluten-free peeps have been eyeing the gluten containing pear tart and asking about a gluten free one, so will give it a try. just not sure if it will end up too crumbly though...we'll see ....

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

kaybee wrote:
Thanks.
I think I will try both of these, a mix of brown rice and almond, and the one posted above, if i can find sweet rice flour...i know we dont have it in the health shop here :/ N.

You might be able to find sweet rice flour in an Asian market, if there is one in your town. It often comes in a smallish box (like the size of a mac-and-cheese box) instead of in a big bag. But it's still pretty cheap.