| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone had luck doing GF coconut lime cupcakes from vctotw?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:12 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

would love to do a gluten free version....and particularly with the flours i already have if possible...i have brown rice, tapioca, and cornflour. theres not that much flour in it so i was hoping it might work ok...with brown rice or something....?

anyone had any luck?

tx

kaybee

Post subject: Re: anyone had luck doing GF coconut lime cupcakes from vcto
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:00 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I haven't actually done this one GF--but last week I made the orange chocolate ones GF. I made the version with orange cake and chocolate chips rather than pudding since I don't like pudding. The texture was quite good, and they rose well. I think that the orange and chocolate were a nice strong flavor to camouflage any hint of quinoa in the batter. While I would guess that the same flours would work well in the coconut lime cupcakes, the lime flavor might not be strong enough to cover the quinoa scent. But it might be worth a try for a half batch?

For the 1 1/3 cups AP flour, I used 2/3 cup each brown rice flour and quinoa flour. I also added 1/4 cup of potato starch (cornstarch would probably also work, it's just very expensive here!)

After looking at the lime coconut recipe, I would recommend trying the brown rice/quinoa/starch mix--maybe 2-3 T of starch only--but definitely use the coconut oil and extract. I've made normal gluten-y cupcakes from this recipe using canola oil and only vanilla, but I think for GF you'll want the maximum lime and coconut flavor in there. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I would use mostly brown rice and then add a smaller amount of either tap or cornflour but not both - hope it works out!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:34 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I tried these with half brown rice flour and half almond flour, since thats what I had. and left the rest of the recipe the same. they came out ok but not great. the toothpick test said they were cooked, but even though the toothpick was clean they still came out a bit heavy and doughy in the middle :/ Not sure I would do t hem again. they were brown on the tops etc though so couldnt have stayed in oven much longer :/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hmm, might have been the almond flour, maybe a bit of starch would have lightened them up a bit?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I do these GF all the time, I even did 3 dozen for a GF friend's wedding.

I use the Gluten Frida mix from VCIYCJ, slightly modified.

From memory it's something like 1/3c rice flour, 1/3c quinoa flour, 1/4c almond flour, 3Tb tapioca starch, 1 Tb ground flax. I use half quinoa half sorghum for the quinoa portion - nothing super exact, I just spoon one in until the third cup is half full, then top off with the other.

These definitely benefit from undermeasuring the oil a bit and maybe a couple extra Tbs of this flour mix. If you make a bunch of the flour mix, keep in mind it's not quite 1c = 1c, it's closer to 1 & 1/8c GF = 1c AP. I was teaching the same friend to make them last night and for the first time they came out soggy & fell apart; I think she misread the recipe & only put in 1c flour instead of 1 & 1/3!

I hope you get to try them again! I wish i'd seen this thread a month ago, this is my #1 most frequently made gf recipe, bc it's my friend's favorite.

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]