| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White Cake
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:42 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've tried two recipes, one from gluten free goddess and one from manifest vegan, that latter turning out gummy and with an undesirable texture with the addition of pureed fruit in place of some of the milk. The gluten-free goddess cake was good but the flavor was off and the cake got, how do you say, crunchy on the edges.

I really want a nice, fluffy vegan vanilla cake a la VCTOTW that has no off-flavors and doesn't taste nutty. I haven't been able to find one that translates well from a cupcake to a cake, so that is also important. Do you have a favorite? My birthday is soon. I really want to find a white cake that tastes good!

Post subject: Re: White Cake
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm 
And you never will.

Have you tried the recipe in VCTOTW? I made the chocolate and it went down well with everyone (even us gluten eaters). I haven't tried the vanilla, but it might be worth a go?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:35 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

the vanilla cake recipe in the allergen-free baker's handbook is fantastic. i made it for some non-gf folks and they couldn't even tell the difference!

(formerly known as wintermitts)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hm, I haven't tried the exact one from VCTOTW, but almond flour is really expensive, so I doubt if I will, if even for my birthday. Unless I can find it for super cheap somewhere. I do like anything chocolate but I'm trying to make a funfetti cake, and that well, it just won't work. Buuuut I did love a ripped version of that recipe that I tried when I was also not eating sugar, but that's the one that had a strong quinoa flavor that just wouldn't match the flavor I'm going for

Also, I think that I'd give that second one from Pascal's book a go. I have to look for it online, maybe somebody ripped it from the book to share with blog followers, in which case, I will be eternally grateful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:13 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

if you have a food processor you can make your own almond flour by grinding up some almonds. i put a little brown rice flour in with it to keep it from turning into almond butter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:59 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I did the corn flour option with the VCTOTW vanilla cake and it was totally cornbread texture. The flavour was good but I couldn't get around the texture. I'd really like to try the almond flour version but I can't afford it currently (nor the almonds to make it myself).

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:27 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

IDJI, that's a very helpful tip. I might just try that instead of buying the flour, as it tends to be $10+

Sorry to hear about your cornbready cake. I've had problems with my cake tasting a bit like cornbread, even though there was no corn oil, flour, or starch involved in the process. Even my younger sister made a remark about it. Wish I could offer you an answer.