| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please help--bread recipe!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

HI all,

ok--I like to use Bobs Red Mill all purpose mix (GF). I cannot seem to find a bread recipe on their website, nor can I seem to find one online that doesn't use 5 different flours +a lot of eggs and such!

I made Gluten Free Girls recipe for rustic bread last night...the recipe called for almond flour + a few others...ughhh...I subbed Bobs and it turned out horrible...Im sure you can guess; hard, bitter aftertaste, heavy heavy heavy/dense...YUCK.

I just want to be able to make my own bread!!!! Is it really that hard? I feel like I'm chasing an impossible dream.

Maybe I'm being difficult...I do NOT want to have to buy all those different flours when there are so many mixes out there!!!! But EVERY recipe I see calls for all the different combinations (spelt/teff/almond/sorgum/buckwheat/rice/starches....the list goes on and on.

I have the xanthan gum...Im fine with adding those additions...but I cannot find a recipe! ughhh...

Help???? Anyone????

Thank you for reading this!

Daphne

Post subject: Re: Please help--bread recipe!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Daphne wrote:
HI all,

ok--I like to use Bobs Red Mill all purpose mix (GF). I cannot seem to find a bread recipe on their website, nor can I seem to find one online that doesn't use 5 different flours +a lot of eggs and such!

I made Gluten Free Girls recipe for rustic bread last night...the recipe called for almond flour + a few others...ughhh...I subbed Bobs and it turned out horrible...Im sure you can guess; hard, bitter aftertaste, heavy heavy heavy/dense...YUCK.

I just want to be able to make my own bread!!!! Is it really that hard? I feel like I'm chasing an impossible dream.

Maybe I'm being difficult...I do NOT want to have to buy all those different flours when there are so many mixes out there!!!! But EVERY recipe I see calls for all the different combinations (spelt/teff/almond/sorgum/buckwheat/rice/starches....the list goes on and on.

I have the xanthan gum...Im fine with adding those additions...but I cannot find a recipe! ughhh...

Help???? Anyone????

Thank you for reading this!

Daphne

I don't know that you're going to be able to get around the multiple flours thing. The all purpose mix simply isn't a substitute for wheat flour in that regards. Bob's Red Mill does make a GF bread mix that works reasonably well veganized (subbing for egg). I've only used it once or twice, though.

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thank you--yeah, I just went ahead and purchased the Bobs bread mix. Going to try and make it tomorrow...Im ok with that...I love to cook and make most everything homemade...but I just dont feel like doing the 500 different types of flour thing! :)

Hopefully the bread mix will work with Ener-G...

D.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

A lot of Bob's stuff suggests subbing out ground flax for the egg. Of course, they also make ground flax...

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

You don't need 500 flours, but you do need at least two plus a starch and gum to make really good bread.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

thanks--my bobs loaf is in the oven right now--my house smells like real bread! I used Ener-G for the eggs...I will let you know how it turns out. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I don't want to dissuade you but here is how my experiment with Bob's GF bread (w/ flax eggs) went:

1st slice: OMG yum heaven bread it's been so long yaaaay
2nd slice: ... wait... this is weird... um... meh.....
3rd slice: this is weird and tastes odd and icky and i don't want to taste it anymore ever again... threw remainder or loaf in trash

I hope you do better than me. I really have to buy a bunch of flours and really dive in to trying to bake some proper gf bread, but it feels so overwhelming!!! my sister has been having tons of success with making things with Better Batter flour mix (dunno if she has tried a regular old loaf of bread yet) but i havent tried it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

well it turned out really good!!! I was worried about some funky after taste, but none!! I'm having a sandwich with it right now--pretty happy with it!

Erynne, sorry you had that experience with it!! Thats why I went for the mix--the whole diff flour thing is overwhelming for me as well!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:25 pm 

Glad it turned out well for you! Maybe I should give it another shot with the EnerG!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I would...you may find that it works well for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

two books that will change your xgfx bread life forever:
allergy free cook bakes bread - laurie sadowski
gluten-free and vegan read - jennifer katzinger

xo
kittee

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 am 

kittee, thanks for the suggestions... if you had to pick just one of these to add to the shelf for a truly novice gf baker and someone scared of having a million flours and gums, which do you think it might be?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Jennifer Katzinger just came out with a gluten-free vegan bread book, too. Maybe that would help?
http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Vegan-Bread-Artisanal-Recipes/dp/1570617805/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352217343&sr=8-1&keywords=gluten+free+vegan+bread

Editing here: oops! I believe that Kittee was trying to say "bread," it just came out "read." My bad. Hey, but the link should be helpful, lol!

I do think there are some mistakes with times/temperatures in the book, however. The temps seem very high and the times exceedingly long (almost 2 hours!) So you make have to trust your intuition where times/temps are concerned. The recipes themselves however, are wonderful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

erynne936 wrote:
kittee, thanks for the suggestions... if you had to pick just one of these to add to the shelf for a truly novice gf baker and someone scared of having a million flours and gums, which do you think it might be?

Well, both book use multiple flours and starches. Laurie's book is more utilitarian recipes--bagels, buns, rolls, cornbread, etc. Jennifer's book is more artisanal style breads, although there are a few quick breads. So it sorta depends what you are looking for. Laurie's book uses more of the same flours over and over again, so maybe that would be better for you, although I like the flavor variety in Jennifer's book a bit more. I've reviewed them both of my blog, so maybe that would help?

http://kitteekake.blogspot.com/2012/11/ ... ecker.html
http://kitteekake.blogspot.com/2012/10/ ... bread.html

xo
kittee

pakupaku