| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrot Cake from VWAV
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:11 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hey there, I want to make my favorite carrot cake for a feaster celebration that will include a couple of GF folks. I love love love the carrot cake in VWAW and was wondering if anyone has successfully made this GF? If not, I was thinking about subbing Bob's GF flour mix and seeing how it goes, but I'd hate to waste so many ingredients if it wouldn't be possible. Are there any extra things I should be aware of? I don't really have much experience baking GF except using Pamela's Chocolate Cake mix which is absolutely amazing.

Do you think it will work?

Post subject: Re: Carrot Cake from VWAV
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:58 pm 
Naked Under Apron

personally, I haven't had excellent luck with gf cakes. I love Julie's Kitchen (ppk name:cupcake) white cake mix. It's gf and it works so well - and she has tons of recipes to tweak the original cake mix on her website/blog. If you don't have access to her cake mix, maybe you could use a similar gf cake mix and just tweak it to resemble the carrot cake?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i agree with amey. Whenever I try to come up with GF recipes on my own it takes a while. Usually just subbing flour cup for cup doesn't work great. I have had luck with Pamela's GF flour mix and I don't love bobs because I can always taste chickpea flour in things. I bet you can find a GF vegan carrot cake recipe and use the macadamias and pineapple and all that good stuff in it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:41 am 
Nailed to the V

I haven't tried the VWAV recipe as written or GF, but I do often get good cake results using half Bob's original GF mix (not the new cup for cup stuff) and half GF oat flour, plus a teaspoon or so of ground flax. But full-size cakes are tricky. I would definitely try a practice cake first. Also, I think that if there are lots of spices, like cinnamon and ginger, then that will disguise the bean-y flavor of the flour.

I do like this naturally GF and vegan carrot cake recipe, but I know chestnut flour is not really a pantry staple.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=dk