| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gluten free, soy free, nut free flour
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My folks 50th anniversary is coming up around Thanksgiving, and I've been tasked with baking for the vegan/gluten free contingent. My nephew can actually tolerate walnuts and pecans, but no other nuts. I use soy quite a bit when I bake/cook, so this will be a challenge.

Is it best to just mix my own flour (as in go with Isa's recs from VCIYCJ)? I've done my own combining in the past with mixed results, but I've never followed her recipe. Or is there a commercially available GF flour that is also soy/nut free that any of you have had luck with? I've ordered "Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats", as well, so I'm hoping to get some ideas there.

I have a few weeks to play around, so there's that. I'm wanting to make cookies, a tartlet crust (for sweet/savory tartlets) and cupcakes. Maybe more.

Post subject: Re: Gluten free, soy free, nut free flour
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:56 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Bob's Red Mill all purpose GF mix fits the requirements but it may depend on what specifically you want to bake.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've made xgfx cookies from VCIYCJ using Isa and Terry's Gluten Frida mix (and the instructions for using the mix at a 1:1 ratio for AP flour) and they turned out just fine. I've used a couple different variations (almond/quinoa and coconut/quinoa) including, sometimes, pistachios instead of almonds and brown rice flour. Obviously you wouldn't want to use the almonds or pistachios, but maybe try with pecans! The only thing I would say to keep an eye out for is that in my experience I've sometimes needed a little extra liquid when using coconut flour. But yeah, it's worked well!

In terms of not using soy milk for baking, I really like hemp milk and oat milk if that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'm with madeleine.teacup - hemp or oat milk are great for baking (just make sure the oat milk is gf, i remember a few years back they couldn't guarantee it, although i haven't checked in a while). Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats is an excellent book; we've made a ton of goodies from it (both savory and sweet). Allyson's flour mixture varies in the cookbook, but she uses a lot or sorghum flour, brown rice, tapioca starch, etc... her chocolate chip cookies from GGFVE are some of our favorites. i've used soy-free earth balance in her recipes with success as well.

oooooh, also - an awesome gluten-free, soy-free, nut free flour mixture i love is here (chickpea, tapioca starch, and potato starch): http://www.drlucys.com/blog/2011/11/18/ ... rrot-cake/. i've used it for many cakes since i've never had too much success making my own mixture that works.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks for the replies. Good to know that coconut flour may need some extra liquid, as well. And I never thought of using hemp milk in baking; I've only bought it when it's on sale at Grocery Outlet and used it in my cereal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've had awesome luck making Isa's Gluten Freedom Chocolate cupcakes (mini, even)! adding a smidge of xanthan gum per PPK advice. I think they actually turned out better than the basic chocolate cupcakes I usually make! I also scored making those Pecan-caramel bars using the Gluten Frida mix from the front of VCIYCJ. Holy shiitake, those were good. My GF co-workers are loving me right now.

My attempts at mini- pastry shells (X 2) using a store-bought mixture, Mama's Coconut Blend, have been a resounding failure. Except to the canines, who do seem to enjoy them. I just received "Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats", so may try the chocolate chip cookies out of them, but will probably continue to bake from VCIYCJ with the Frida mix.