| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me make a gluten free flour with what I have on hand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So, I'm out of regular white flour right now and I committed to making cookies for a potluck and my husband is about to take the car for the entire day. :-/ I decided I could just do them gluten-free instead. But I always seem to be missing *something* from all the various recipes I find!

VCIYCJ calls for almond flour which I don't have (think I could I grind it in a food processor? if so then I could use that one) ...And it seems like every recipe online calls for potato starch or flour, which I don't have!

Here's what I do have on hand - xanthan gum, arrowroot, brown and white rice flour, millet flour, teeny bit of quinoa flour, corn starch, and tapioca flour. Maybe someone here can give me good proportions for using those things?

GF baking is still a pretty scary for me but I want to do it right and not have faily cookies for this potluck, especially since I'm making a double batch!

(I'm wanting to do the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles, just for the record.)

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

Post subject: Re: Help me make a gluten free flour with what I have on han
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:18 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Three parts rice flour or millet flour or some combination, two parts corn starch, one part tapioca flour. Throw in a teaspoon of xanthan gum. Don't get mad at me if it doesn't work but I think it will!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've never made my own gluten free flour mix at home. But, I have made the mexican hot snickerdoodles with an all purpose gluten free flour mix and they come out very good. I used Namaste brand. There mix is Sweet Brown Rice flour, Tapioca flour, Arrowroot flour, Sorghum flour, and Xantham Gum. You should be able to come up with something from what you have on hand. Amounts of everything is another question and I have no clue!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

i don't know how helpful i will be, but:

if it's just potato starch that's missing, i've interchanged tapioca starch/potato starch and have never had a recipe totally flop on me, your mileage may vary though and i'm not incredibly picky about texture. unfortunately, most blends i've used have sorghum and i'm afraid to recommend anything else without personal experience.

if you have oatmeal, i know my sister has made cookies with oats blended in a blender. so if you see any blends with oat flour that could be another possible option. not sure if the texture would work with the snicker doodles though...

my one tip for whatever you end up using would be to make sure your dough seems like it's the right consistency - a lot of the time i end up having to add more liquid/oil to gf-ized recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking of trying a small amount of flour blend and making a tiny batch of something just to see how it does.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/