| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dinner planning help please!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:20 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

hey gluten free ppk!

I feel silly even needing to ask for help, but I figure why not - next week my husband's brother and sister are coming for dinner. His sister has a pretty severe gluten allergy, and his brother is a verrry picky eater - he's mostly a meat and potatoes guy, and I think his favorite food is fast food take out egg rolls. I find each of them separately very easy to feed, but for some reason with Thanksgiving about to happen and having just planned a dinner for his sister last night (we had the roasted potato & fennel soup and the kale/butternut squash salad and it was all easy, amazing and effortlessly gluten free), my brain is just stalling trying to plan something.

It'll be a weeknight so it would be great if it was simple-ish (but this isn't my biggest concern). I need to make something that won't be too "weird" for him, but that she can eat without worry or compromise. I'm so sensitive to her needs because as a vegan I obviously feel her pain at being the one at dinner with a special consideration that either gets shafted or has to eat something different or less exciting than everyone else. I need a fair amount of food because there will be 4 of us, and my husband and his brother have the largest monster appetites. It would be especially great if I could make something out of one of Isa's cookbooks since I have all of them, but again, not a deal breaker.
My brain is tired, help please!

Post subject: Re: dinner planning help please!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

what about spaghetti, using gluten-free pasta. if someone isn't a fan of red sauce you can make a little olive oil-white wine-garlic sauce.

Isa's pesto risotto is pretty darn easy, very filling and yummy.

chili? with a side o' gluten-free cornbread - or just serve over rice!

lasagna can be easy - just with gluten-free noodles. i love zucchini and spinach in mine (although mushrooms are pretty great, if everyone is on board with them) and make a cashew cream to layer in (raw cashews, basil, lemon juice, sea salt, almond milk - blend!). you could use store bought sauce to save time, too.

i don't think ancho chile lentil tacos are too weird and who doesn't love tacos?!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:54 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Basically all the above suggestions are awesome. But I would personally go with the lentil tacos option if you can find gluten free tortillas. Even if you can't, she could have a taco/burrito bowl and you guys could just eat the shells yourselves.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:17 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Welp, turns out that it was decided that we're going out for Mexican. Thanks for the suggestions though!! I will surely use some of them in the future.