| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gluten free vegan not gross bread from a mainstream store
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:00 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Is this something that exists? I've searched and so far only found references to a few niche brands that are only locally available (in markets other than mine, obviously). I don't live in the most gastronomically progressive part of the US, but I have access to Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc. So far, I can only find sandwich bread that has egg in it, though I haven't searched exhaustively. Anyone know of a major brand with a gluten free sandwich bread with no eggs, and what store I can find it in?

Post subject: Re: Gluten free vegan not gross bread from a mainstream stor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

I tried some foreign brand, once but it fell apart when I went to take a bite.

Binding agents that are both GF and V exist but it seems like no one's taking advantage of this market, which I'm sure you know is growing!

Personally I like chickpea flour. You can make flatbread out of it.

Or, what I like to do is just take four of those white or yellow all-corn tortillas, layer them in 2s, and just stuff as much as I can between them. Works surprisingly well for Boca burgers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think Food for Life is the only widely distributed brand that is gluten-free and vegan? It's fine toasted but gross otherwise. Trader Joe's used to have one (that was Food for Life relabeled) but I'm not sure if they still do. Have you looked into whether there are any gluten-free bakeries in your area?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:54 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The only gluten-free bakery in my area is paleo/grain free, so I'm almost certain they will have eggs in everything :(

I will look for the food-for-life. I know my Sprouts carries their brown rice tortillas (only recommended for making enchiladas from, too dry to eat without drenching in sauce) so they might have the bread. I remember seeing something at Trader Joe's when I first had to go GF that was different from the fluffier non-vegan GF bread, and not buying it because the shape and density reminded me of a brick, haha. That might have been the FFL knockoff.

I do love chickpea crepes but sometimes you just want a PBJ sandwich made from normal sliced bread, know what I mean?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:02 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

My wife is GF and eats "Pure Knead" (this one might be local since we're on Atlanta and that's an Atlanta company) and O'Doughs. Both are available at Kroger - even the most run-down one near us with a tiny fridge for the "alternative" section.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:12 am 
Saggy Butt

And you cannot bake it yourself? I usually bake lots of bread some time a month, slice it and freeze it so that I just have to pop two slices in the toaster when needed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm with helgonblomma--I know it doesn't answer your question, but I'm a lazy asparagus, and I actually make most of my bread. You can dump a gluten free flour mix into a bread machine, and have tasty bread very quickly, fairly inexpensively and with surprisingly little effort.

I don't eat only or mostly gluten free bread, but I like the gf bread I've made. You can probably find a good bread maker very cheaply used. I also use it for pizza crust.

I just thought I'd chime in because before I started making my breads, I thought it would be too much effort, but even the cleanup is minimal. I'd estimate it takes a total of 15 minutes to make, including all prep and clean up.