| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GF pancake fail (consistent)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:20 am 
Tofu Pup

I've tried several times to make a GF version of pancakes using the recipe(s) in Veganomicon. Consistently they come out of the pan looking great, but ultimately are raw on the inside.
Flour = Namaste GF blend
Liquid = soy milk and/or water
Leavening agent = baking soda (this may be at least one point of failure; I tend to eschew baking powder because of its aluminum content; should I not be concerned about that? Should I not substitute backing soda for baking powder? Last time I substituted 1 Tbsp of baking soda for 1 tsp of baking powder)
Mixing = 'minimal', but inevitably I mix more than I intend; I do it by hand and lumps still remain;
Heat = moderate; pancakes 'cook' in 30 - 90 seconds and come out of the pan all nice and fluffy looking, but as they cool, they fall, revealing raw insides - yuck.

I follow the recipe(s) (blueberry cornmeal and banana nut (waffle)) pretty closely although the last failure involved the banana nut waffle recipe that was thinned out to make a pancake batter. Per the Joy of Cooking this can be done, no?

Please help! This consistent failure is discouraging and I really need another breakfast meal to add to my rotation.

Post subject: Re: GF pancake fail (consistent)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:12 pm 
Semen Strong

I wonder if its the cooking time. With GF pancakes, I cover the pan and let the top of the batter get "dry" before flipping them, or they don't really cook through. You might want to try lowering the heat, letting the batter cook through before flipping.

These are our "Go To" GF vegan pancakes and they are fantastic! The chickpea flour makes them higher in protein and less expensive than those relying on GF flour blends. They're also really simple and if you get the cooktime right, they're nearly foolproof.

I veganize the recipe (warning the link is not vegan) by substituting a Chia egg (1Tbsp chia in 3 Tbsp warm water) and I add a tsp of vinegar to give the pancakes more fluffyness. You can definitely omit the banana essence and I've even made it with no banana just chia to bind it. We always double the recipe and its superyummy. https://twosaucysisters.wordpress.com/2 ... ever-made/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

You can't substitute baking soda for baking powder. Baking powder contains a base and an acid, baking soda is just a base so it has to be mixed with an acid to make the reaction. You can get aluminum free baking powder though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Also I have deglutenized a million pancake recipes using 3 parts brown or white rice flour/2 parts potato starch/1 part tapioca starch and a smidge of xanthan gum and they always come out perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

rakuAnarchy wrote:
Last time I substituted 1 Tbsp of baking soda for 1 tsp of baking powder)

If you really did that (rather than the other way around) that might be why your pancakes fell and tasted weird. Baking soda is much stronger than baking powder so you can substitute 1 tsp of baking powder with 1/3 tsp of baking soda + a teaspoon of vinegar, like strawberryrock says.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:06 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

http://www.heythattastesgood.com/2007/1 ... -free.html

The above link is for gluten free vegan white rice flour banana pancakes. I have made these numerous times and they never fail me. They are very easy to make, require few ingredients, and come out amazing!

With any pancake recipe, it is best to keep the temperature low in cooking them and cook them longer so they have a chance to cook all the way through. I have also found that gluten free flours need more oil in the recipe than glutenous ones as they are otherwise a bit dry or fall apart more easily otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:07 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

In addition to longer cook time, I like to really mix my GF batters well. When you're using wheat flour, recipes that call for minimal mixing do so to prevent the formation of strong gluten strands. Since there's no gluten to develop, mix away! I tend to get better rise that way.

I also suggest warming up your oven so you can slide your pancakes in after they come out of the pan. Some extra time in a 200 degree oven can work wonders for crispy waffles and pancakes that are fluffy and set in the middle. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:52 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I get lazy with pancakes, but I really like the GF King Arthur flour pancake mix that comes in a box. It's easy to sub out the eggs and it works well with whatever kind of plant milk you happen to have on hand. I just make the whole box at once, because leftovers heat up so well the next day.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:51 pm 
Tofu Pup

The secret to really good GF vegan pancakes is buckwheat. (Not wheat, btw). I buy it raw in the bulk section (little pryamidy shaped things) and grind it into a flour with a bullet blender right while I'm making the batter. Lets see if I can remember the whole thing...

whisk dry stuff in bowl #1:
2 C buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

whisk wet stuff in bowl #2:
1/2 C maple syrup
2 tbsp melted butter substitute of choice -i've used earth balance and melt (a new substitute that uses coconut oil) with much success
2 "eggs" - i use egg substitute from the box for this
1 tsp vanilla flavoring stuff (makes em extra yummy)
1 3/4 C coconut milk or some other milk substitute

**coconut syrup substitute stuff makes the batter way too sticky and the cakes are hard to flip**
**use pink earth balance or melt, and you've got yourself a soy free dish too, btw**

anyway, mix wet stuff into dry stuff

oil up a pan

fry

enjoy! particularly good with diced up fruit in the batter (think apple, mmm) or, my favorite, mix sliced strawberries and maple syrup for a topping to die for!! :)

anyway, hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:16 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Echoing what everyone else said about baking soda not being a replacement for powder, AND the fact that even a lot of mainstream grocery stores have aluminum-free baking powder!

As a GF side note, I have made all of Isa's cookbooks' pancake recipes using chickpea flour instead of wheat flour, no other substitutes, and they always turn out fine.