| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Found Substitution for Wheat Flour in Recipes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:21 am 
Tofu Pup

Hello everyone, I am a Vegan who has been doing a lot of reserach online lately, to try and find new recipes that are also gluten-free. I found this recipe in a Gluten-free cookbook written by Robyn Russell that I got from the Library. If this is a repost, I apologize - I haven't completely gotten through all the pages of past posts yet.

She quotes....

"I find that a combination of gluten-free flours acheives the best results when replacing wheat flour. For more than 10 years, I've mixed this with that and then that with a bit more of this and concluded that witchcraft must also be involved. From my research and recipe testing I developed this recipe called Rice Flour Blend. It's quite versatile and can be substituted cup for cup for wheat flour.

Ingredients
2 cups (8 1/2 oz/240 g) white rice flour
2/3 cup (3 1/2 oz/105 g) potato starch
1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz/40g) tapioca flour

Method
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly & store in a canister so that you've always got some onhand.

Baking Tips
All brands of white rice flour are not the same & will produce vastly different results in your baked goods. I specifically recommend the Erawan brand of white rice flour, as it has a very fine texture & is light weight. It is available in the Asian food section of the supermarket. For a few recipes I use a store-bought gluten-free, all-purpose (plain) flour, which contains some soy flour and therefore bakes up a little heavier but stays moist a little longer. As a general rule, I use the Rice Flour Blend in recipes where I want a lighter finished product, which will be eaten the same day, and the store-bought flour in recipes such as fruit or nut loaves that have a heavier texture anyway."

Please let me know what you think of this - any comments would be appreciated....
Thank you, Amelia