| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you notice that testers come out clean...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:58 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

...even when things aren't done baking? I think it's a GF phenomenon. I will stick in a toothpick or a skewer or a knife and it will come out clean and everything will appear okay. But then once cooled, stuff is underbaked. It kind of stinks because it's so easy to dry out GF stuff that overbaking would ruin everything, but obvs underbaking sucks, too. My solution has been to test early and then give it 5 more minutes. Has anyone else noticed this?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Do you notice that testers come out clean...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I have not experienced this, but I also don't bake a lot anymore. I get gooey testers all the time. Sorry, I'm no help.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

IsaChandra wrote:
...even when things aren't done baking? I think it's a GF phenomenon. I will stick in a toothpick or a skewer or a knife and it will come out clean and everything will appear okay. But then once cooled, stuff is underbaked. It kind of stinks because it's so easy to dry out GF stuff that overbaking would ruin everything, but obvs underbaking sucks, too. My solution has been to test early and then give it 5 more minutes. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm not a tester and haven't experienced this, but to some point it makes sense (with my limited knowledge of things)

I assume that in regular baking things, stuff is "done" when the gluten are fixed/fixated and the skewer or needle comes out clean.

When it's gluten free, that no longer is an indicator if the recipe or mix is fully done ?

(where is susie tofu monster? she's the kind of person that could probably explain it all)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:47 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

<3!

New boards!

I have a better name!

Thanks Veg Eric!

On the topic of the thread - So the toothpick test doesn't adequately identify the point at which these products are "done". These are my thoughts as to why you might notice this especially for gluten-free formulations:

* In gluten free batters, instead of doneness being a result of protein coagulation AND starch gelatinization, it is likely only or very-mostly-only a function of starch gelatinization, because gluten free vegan products probably don't have a lot of structural dependence on protein coagulation/gelation. Starch gelatinization starts at 140F, while gluten coagulation starts at 165F [1]. So, in a gluten-utilizing cake, the dry toothpick signals the temperature where protein coagulation happens has been reached, which is much higher than the starch gelatinization temperature. SO, it means that starch gelation has probably had the chance to reach completion.

* Gluten free things sometimes contain thickening components that do not require high heat to perform their thickening action, such as xanthan gum, which increases viscosity even before heating. Even if no gums are used, I'd guess that for a final product to be the correct texture, that maybe the starting batter must be thicker relative to the desired final texture than a batter containing proteins with structure-providing ability. The toothpick coming out dry really only means that a certain minimum thick and cohesive texture has been reached. If the raw gluten free product starts out thicker, because it can't rely on protein gelation for strength later on, then perhaps it will be more prone to reaching that minimum cohesiveness earlier, before all of the starch actually has had a chance to gelatinize.

I recommend scrapping the toothpick test for the gluten-free products. If it doesn't differentiate between "done" and "not done", there is not much point in doing it. Experiment with figuring out what a more reliable way of testing the product might be. If you have one of those oven probe thermometers, you could do some internal temperature monitoring, and examine how the maximum internal temperature reached correlates with the cooled product properties. Internal temperature seems as though it would be the most reliable way to predict doneness, although if you pay close attention to the gluten free things coming out of the oven at the right degree of doneness, you might be able to identify some characteristic that could signal doneness as conveniently as the toothpick, so you don't need the thermometer every time.

Cited:
[1] Gisslen, W. Professional Baking. 2004. Page 13. At Google Books: http://books.google.com/books?id=YrQZi4 ... re&f=false

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:25 am 
Cranky

Susie, will you marry me? <3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Susie!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Susie wrote:
I'd guess that for a final product to be the correct texture, that maybe the starting batter must be thicker relative to the desired final texture than a batter containing proteins with structure-providing ability.

Yes ma'am, this is true.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:39 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Dr. Apricot wrote:

can we do a three way?

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:41 pm 
Cranky

kittee wrote:
Dr. Apricot wrote:

can we do a three way?

Yes!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:08 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Dr. Apricot wrote:
kittee wrote:
Dr. Apricot wrote:

can we do a three way?

Yes!

gluten-three marriage?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:03 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Usually the testing works for me. But I had to bake a recipe 10 minutes longer yesterday because it was gluten-free'd.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]