| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
Made the Seitan Coriander Cutlets yesterday, and they were perfect! I was prepared to take this thread's suggestions to bake them longer than the recipe states, but they only took about 32 minutes, which is what Terry says. I did the Mediterranean version and added dried oregano and rosemary, too. I used half the cutlet batch to make the seitan piccata from V'con, and it worked great!

Next up: the Greek Lemon Soup. I have a nasty sore throat, and I'm hopeful that this soup will be soothing and easy.

that is awesome to hear! i guess everyone's oven is different. the seitan coriander cutlers are still on my to-do list and so is the greek lemon soup, it sounds so yummy and comforting! get well soon. if you weren't under the weather, what other side dishes might you make to go with the soup?

Thanks for the get well wishes, bookwormbethie! My throat is doing better than it was this morning, but I've just been taking it kinda easy today.

Last week I made the kale bagel recipe from Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites, except I was lazy and just baked the dough as two loaves instead. So, I froze a lot of the bread and now I'm so grateful I did, because I am going to serve the bread alongside. I am also working on a kale salad with pomegranate arils and roasted chickpeas on top, with the pomegranate molasses dressing from the Autumn Toasted Pita and Kale Salad in VEW, page 100. I'll let you know how it all turns out!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:05 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just got my copy this week... can't wait to jump in and get cooking!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 am 
Chard Martyr

I'm making the adobo tonight. I'm both excited and nervous because I've never had it or anything like it before and it sounds like so much soy sauce and vinegar! but, i love sour and salty, so i assume i'll love this.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I was nervous but I loved it - but the toppings are a must, even the controversial banana.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:46 am 
Chard Martyr

Oh thanks for that. I will make sure to get a banana!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:40 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I agree, the banana was really great in this!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I'm making the adobo tonight. I'm both excited and nervous because I've never had it or anything like it before and it sounds like so much soy sauce and vinegar! but, i love sour and salty, so i assume i'll love this.

I'd recommend using the ground pepper unless you like bites of big peppercorns. It was super delicious otherwise though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:58 pm 
Chard Martyr

thanks! now that you mention it, i don't like whole peppercorns, but i probably would have used them anyway without thinking...

I even bought a super out of season probably awful tomato, which i usually don't do in the winter.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

I ended up making the naan the same day as the greek lemon soup, and both were wonderful! I only had chickpeas for the soup instead of cannellini beans but it worked anyway. As for the naan, it was a runaway hit in my house. My husband and my 7 year-old went ape over it. I'm already planning when to make it again, cuz it's gone!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:04 am 
Chard Martyr

the adobo was so great! thanks for the reassurance. I used low sodium soy sauce and white vinegar and it was super delicious!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I haven't this book that long so have only made a couple of things but there are so many more I want to make! The Char Siu Seitan is my favourite so far, so yummy! The Pad See Ew and Massaman curry were also pretty good.

Today I am making the coconut roti and the coconut black-eyed pea curry but with the kidney bean option cause I couldn't find black eyed beans anywhere, not sure what else to make with it but might make some kind of curried cabbage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:35 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Just made the drunken noodles tonight and they were amazing!
I plan on making the steamed buns tomorrow but I was wondering if the 1.2 ounce packet of yeast in the fluffy bao dough recipe was a misprint. I can only find 1/4 ounce packets. Does it maybe mean 1 package of .2 ounces??
Sorry if this sounds stupid but I'm so confused:(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:22 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Made the Greek salad and the lemon garlic potatoes (without the garlic, as the boyfriend is allergic) with chickpea cutlets last night - all very tasty, although I wouldn't rave about them like I would with some dishes from this book. My only whinge is that the feta, made as written, seemed way too salty (even by, you know, feta standards). I added another half a cup of cashews and some more lemon juice and it was good.

Now I've eaten all the potatoes and salad but I still have lots of feta left. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:27 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

The socca was so easy and really good. I just made the basic recipe, but I can't wait to go back and try the variations soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 am 
Nailed to the V

Morgyn wrote:
Made the Greek salad and the lemon garlic potatoes (without the garlic, as the boyfriend is allergic) with chickpea cutlets last night - all very tasty, although I wouldn't rave about them like I would with some dishes from this book. My only whinge is that the feta, made as written, seemed way too salty (even by, you know, feta standards). I added another half a cup of cashews and some more lemon juice and it was good.

Now I've eaten all the potatoes and salad but I still have lots of feta left. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

Make Spanakopita! Just use the feta in place of the tofu feta if you're using the VWAV version, or do half of the super salty feta and half tofu feta to make it less salty.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i made the tempeh katsu meal with soba noodles and cabbage. pretty yummy and very easy to make.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:19 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Efcliz wrote:
The cake was the star of the show. So versatile. You could have it warm with ice cream, with coffee for breakfast or with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I might even put a dollop of custard on leftovers later.

Would you recommend it for someone who doesn't have much of a sweet tooth?[/quote]

I have the least sweet tooth in the world and I loved it.[/quote]

I have more of a salt tooth, too, and I thought it was delicious! It's also super omni-friendly and the recipe is agreeable to some substitutions - I made two cakes for family Hexmess, as my omni sweetheart's omni mom doesn't eat fruit and sugar together. They looked pretty different in terms of color but they were both devoured!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The yassa tofu was delicious!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone attempted to make the Eggplant Shakshuka yet?
a quick search through the thread looks like one person tried it and really liked it.
that's on my list of things to make this week i just have to go to the grocery store and get everything.

im making the yassa tofu tonight based on everyone raving about it. i dont think that is one that would have grabbed my eye otherwise.

ill just serve it with brown or jasmine rice. either one good probably?

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The black bean soup was really tasty and easy to make but I didn't buy poblanos, I had to use cubanelle peppers and I used 2 tsp. chipotle chile powder and maybe that was a bit too spicy but that can be remedied by using another blend or 1 tsp. chipotle (because I love the smoky flavor of chipotle) and a tsp of a milder Mexican chile powder or like that next time I make it. I want to try it with the proper peppers though. It's really yum despite the sub. It's begging for me to make some of Vegan Diner's cornbread to go with it, which I'll do tomorrow in my cast iron skillet. The sweetness of the cornbread will balance out the slight overspicing error I made when I chose my chile powder for this recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The roasted beet salad with dill vinaigrette was delicious!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:53 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

LisaPunk wrote:
has anyone attempted to make the Eggplant Shakshuka yet?
a quick search through the thread looks like one person tried it and really liked it.

I might have been the one talking about eggplant shakshuka, but I made it and it was really tasty. The only real tweak from the recipe i remember is that my eggplant soaked up all my oil so I had to use slightly more than the 1 T the recipe calls for.

I'm really looking forward to making this again with fresh summer veggies - i bet it will be amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im very intrigued by the green tahini sauce (probably cause there is a picture) so i cant wait to make the shakshuka

that and shakshuka is really fun to say.....

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

holy mustard bomb!! i must have made the yassa tofu wrong :-(

i feel like i did it exactly as written but it was like eating mouthfuls of mustard. like seriously.
it was borderline inedible.

what kind of mustard do people use? i just used generic brand dijon. if i ever made it again i might use a sweeter mustard. not sure what the vegan equivalent of honey mustard is.

it was very vinegary. maybe i need a quality brand of dijon rather than crappy generic?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:20 pm 
Mediocre Tart

i feel like i read someone say here that there's a huge difference between American dijon and European dijon? Not that that relates to your specific issues with the mustard, Lisa, but I'm concerned to go ahead with it if there is a significant difference! Efcliz, was it you? I think it may have been you!

Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 37  Next