| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Great Vegan Bean Book
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:31 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Question on the Hawaiian Sliders: the pineapple is fresh pineapple, right? Not canned.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anek wrote:
Question on the Hawaiian Sliders: the pineapple is fresh pineapple, right? Not canned.

nope, i used canned. i've made this recipe a few times, no problem using canned. just make sure to drain the pineapple well.

edited to add: although if fresh is what you got, i'm sure that will be just fine!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:14 pm 

Thanks! I bought a fresh one, and then got unsure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:42 am 

Made the Hawaiian Sliders last night, they were very tasty and my omni boyfriend liked them very much. I was not super excited, maybe the pineapple taste is something I just don't get in food. Good, but not my favorite. I made the sauce as well and it went great with the burgers, definitely a must-have.
The fresh pineapple worked just fine, it was just more prep work but no issue.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the lentil quinoa bolognese. It was just okay, especially for the amount of time it took. I used more tomatoes than the recipe calls for, and it still ended up more solid than saucy. Definitely would've been dry if I'd only used the amount in the recipe. I like that the sauce is full of veggies, but it just didn't do it for me. Doubt I'll make it again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:20 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Made the stovetop mac the other day, and it was okay. It tasted too beany for me, which surprised me, since there are other bean-based mac recipes I've tried and loved/really liked (like the one from the Healthy. Happy. Life. blog, and FFV:s baked mac). I added the cashews but I still didn't find it very creamy, it was way too saucy. I liked the liquid smoke in there though. If I made it again I think I would add some miso as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:12 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I just received an email from the library telling me that a copy is available for me to pick up - yay!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the rum beans over coconut lime sweet potatoes last night, and they're probably my favorite thing from the book so far. Really interesting flavors. I did have to add splashes of water to the beans the whole time they were cooking, because the only liquid in the recipe is the 2 tbsp of rum, which cooks out pretty quickly when you add it to a hot pan, and you're supposed to simmer for 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

has anyone made the apple baked beans on page 122?

the recipe calls for either 1.5 cups cooked pinto or white beans, OR you can instead use one can (15 oz) of pinto or white beans. **i plan on using one 15 oz can of the beans**

what i'm concerned about is that the stove-top instructions say to combine all ingredients except the salt & pepper and cook until the beans are tender, about 1.5 hours. i find this strange since the beans are already pre-cooked. (the slow cooker recipe calls for cooking for 7-9 hours!)

i have all the ingredients for this recipe and was planning to make it friday or saturday but just want to make sure everything is a-okay...... has anyone made this yet????? did this really take 1.5 hours to cook????

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FYI - in case anyone else is interested, i also e-mailed kathy privately through the PPK and the recipe is just fine the way it's written :) it can take time for the apples to break down and become one with the sauce :)

i'll be making this friday or saturday and i'm excited about it. earlier in this same thread (i searched after i sent my private note), 2 other PPK'ers made this dish and said it was graet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Creamy Spinach-Artichoke White Bean Dip last night, and it's really good. I will say this: the recipe, as written, was just a touch bland, so here's what I did. I added a few Tbsp. of champagne vinegar, some fresh chives, and some dried thyme. Also, I added more beans than the recipe called for, so the dip would be less runny. Also, I transferred the dip to an oven-proof dish and baked it at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes, so it would be a warm spinach artichoke dip. The result was pretty awesome! I would proudly serve this dip to omnis, and I don't think any of them would miss the dairy. Seriously, it's way creamy and yummy, but with like no fat. Love.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:34 am 
Naked Under Apron

I made the Tamale muffins for breakfast in the week. But if course I had to try one just to be safe. Loved them.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the dish came together really well texture wise, but hubby & i were not a huge fan of the apple baked beans. it was too sweet for us. i used a granny smith and fuji apple -- maybe my apples were too big? i think i'd make this recipe again but use 1 apple and maybe throw in some onion and pepper to change the flavor profile.

others in this thread have made this dish and really liked it, so it's just a taste bud preference for us.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:45 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I'm in the middle of cooking the Baked Lima Beans p. 128. The weird thing is I soaked the beans for 2hrs and they have been cooking for 2 hrs. Still not done. She gives the cooking time as 45 to 60 minutes, unsoaked. I added more liquid and I'm going to cook them another hr. Glad I started them early! I'm cooking them in a 3.5 quart Le Creuset dutch oven, covered, not a casserole pan as stated in the recipe. Could this be why it's taking so long?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:30 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I am giving this book away to a lucky US resident:
http://www.missmuffcake.com/2013/09/veg ... -bean.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sandy S wrote:
I'm in the middle of cooking the Baked Lima Beans p. 128. The weird thing is I soaked the beans for 2hrs and they have been cooking for 2 hrs. Still not done. She gives the cooking time as 45 to 60 minutes, unsoaked. I added more liquid and I'm going to cook them another hr. Glad I started them early! I'm cooking them in a 3.5 quart Le Creuset dutch oven, covered, not a casserole pan as stated in the recipe. Could this be why it's taking so long?

Does it say to cover the casserole dish? Covering can make a huge difference in how fast things cook in the oven.

Otherwise, your beans could be old?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sandy S wrote:

I made this receipe and it did take longer, but maybe only 20 - 30 min longer. Also, the beans were al dente instead of really soft like they are out of the can (which was fine by me). How old are your beans? That might be the culprit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

agreed, i think the beans are too old. i only buy dried beans from the natural grocery store since i know there is relatively high turn over in the bulk bins.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:31 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

emmalv wrote:
Sandy S wrote:

I made this receipe and it did take longer, but maybe only 20 - 30 min longer. Also, the beans were al dente instead of really soft like they are out of the can (which was fine by me). How old are your beans? That might be the culprit.

The beans weren't old. It took about 4 hours total. Maybe it's because they weren't submerged in water, the tomato sauce was denser. The beans were very creamy and good by this point and yes I did have them covered. In the end it was good. We had it over steamed kale and a small amount of brown rice. Nice healthy dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Apple Baked Beans yesterday, and then the Indian Cauliflower Lentil Stew today. We really, really liked them both! I used tons more cauliflower in the stew than the recipe called for, probably double the amount, and it was still awesome and amazing. We ate it over brown rice.

The baked beans were awesome. I actually liked them more than I expected to, because I'm always on the fence when it comes to baked beans. But this variation really worked for me. One note about the recipe: I soaked dry pinto beans for about 24 hours, then threw them in the crock pot with all the rest of the ingredients. I didn't precook the beans. I used the slow cooker directions, and I also threw in a bit more water than called for. It worked perfectly! So my laziness paid off I guess!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

A while ago I made the enchilada casserole, with the cashew-white bean queso, and I really liked it. I will probably make that queso again, it was awesome. I also made the baked chickpea-seitan patties recently, and I loved them. I skipped the breading though, but I think I'll try it next time. Great taste, great texture, really easy and fast to make.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:07 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

beethecookie wrote:
I made the Apple Baked Beans yesterday, and then the Indian Cauliflower Lentil Stew today. We really, really liked them both! I used tons more cauliflower in the stew than the recipe called for, probably double the amount, and it was still awesome and amazing. We ate it over brown rice.

I did just the same with the Indian stew last night. It need more chilli for us but otherwise it was a good easy meal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:00 am 
Nailed to the V

Efcliz wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

I did just the same with the Indian stew last night. It need more chilli for us but otherwise it was a good easy meal.

Yeah, you're right about the chili. And I had to add salt, too, but it was still great.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:19 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I made the cheesy yellow-eyed peas last night. I could have sworn I had black-eyed peas but I was mistaken, so I used navy beans instead. I also couldn't find turnip, so I subbed rutabaga. I added some Frank's when I had it dished up. I served it on top of steamed kale. I don't know if I would rush to make the dish again, but it was pretty good.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:58 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the Lima beans in tomato sauce yesterday. I must have done something wrong. I baked it in the oven for 5 hours!!! And the beans still we're not super tender. Maybe I used the wrong type of bean? It's too bad because the sauce was delicious. Probably won't bother making it again though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next