| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:29 pm 
Chard Martyr

I liked the pub fondue! (I think that's what it's called. The one with beer.)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:19 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

The Gee Whiz mixed with salsa is party with omnis approved. Just call it a white bean salsa dip and not cheeze, and it will be gobbled up.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:35 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Our favorite is the hot or cold tangy cheddar sauce. I use it on nachos on a regular basis. I leave out the tahini and add more cashews, halve the lemon juice, and use fresh garlic instead of powder. I think I could make this recipe with my eyes closed by now. So thick and creamy and tasty! Even my omnivore husband and picky kids love it.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:31 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I love this book - it really helped my kids make the transition away from cheese.

Some of the recipes we make regularly are:
Gee Whiz Spread - great with crackers or on sandwiches
Hot Parmesan Artichoke Dip - big hit with omnis
Parmezano Sprinkles - we use sesame seeds and up the proportion of nutritional yeast
Nacho Cheez Sauce - excellent on nachos, duh
Nippy Tomato Non-Queso Sauce - referred to as the "white bean salsa dip" in the post above by lycophyte
Cheez Please Soup - my kids LOVE this
Frittata
Gooey Grilled Cheese - I usually make a double batch of this stuff so I can keep it in the fridge to make these sandwiches twice in one week.

Generally, for almost all the recipes, I cut the lemon juice in half and usually double the salt, for our tastes.

I tried one block cheese (the Colby, maybe?) and it was a disaster. The Buffalo Mostarella was really good sliced in rounds and baked on a pizza, though.

I've found without question that the best way to lead others to a more plant-based diet is by example - to lead with your fork, not your mouth. ~Bernie Wilke

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:41 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I do the nacho cheeze dip from this book all the time. I don't know if I am recalling the name of the recipe correctly, but I keep it dog-eared and the page itself is a bit messy in my copy. I love to dip anything in it.

My Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:49 am 
Nailed to the V

I have had this cookbook forever, but I'm nervous to actually try any of the recipes. I sooo want them to be good!
It seems like the broccoli rice casserole might be the safest bet to start out with.

Reading this thread has made my stomach grumble!! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:24 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm thinking about getting this, as we are budgeting tightly at the moment and soy cheese is just too expensive here! How do the hard cheeses compare, and are they expensive to make? We're looking for a cheap alternative!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

I finally made a recipe from this book! I made the Tofu Ricotta, to put on top of the pasta dish I made from AFR. I used extra firm tofu instead of firm tofu because that's what I had on hand. I think it's really good, I will definitely make it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Where do you guys find chickpea miso? I've never seen it anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

whole foods or any health food store, but it can be expensive, so i usually just substitute any mild miso.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

+1 to Whole Foods for chickpea miso. The miso master brand is in with the other miso/soy products. Here it typically runs around $7 I think. I got it on sale a couple weeks ago for around $5. But, it lasts a long time and the chickpea miso is the only kind I can use so worth every penny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't made a lot of the recipes, but the ones I've made I keep going back to. Well, except for the almond cream cheez that didn't turn out for me. I mostly love the Gee Whiz spread, the colby block, the beannaise and the chickpea pizza (flatbread)

ETA: Here's the link to the reviews from last year's cookbook challenge UUC week. AllyChristine did this for quite a few books http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=32268.0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

How could I have forgotten the blue cheez dressing? It's amazing. I think it's too thin though and add white beans to thicken it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ijustdiedinside wrote:
whole foods or any health food store, but it can be expensive, so i usually just substitute any mild miso.

I've looked in all those places, including three or four different WF stores. Not even the large ones in Richmond or Northern Virginia sell it.

Do you have a brand name?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

[url][/url]
lavawitch wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

I've looked in all those places, including three or four different WF stores. Not even the large ones in Richmond or Northern Virginia sell it.

Do you have a brand name?

This is the kind I get at WF http://www.healthytraders.com/miso-master%C3%82%C2%AE-organic-kosher-soyfree-chickpea-miso-plastic-p-2352.html Brand name : Miso Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks! I'll ask about that one directly next time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

rachell37 wrote:
We used to get one of those cheese and meat gift things from my great-grandmother every year for Xmas. I've eaten both crock cheese and port wine cheese (and liked both). I still haven't made the port wine cheese in Ultimate Uncheese, but I think I'll avoid it based on everyone else's experience.

I actually really like the port wine uncheese! I used to eat the orange and purple (real) cheese spread all the time when I was younger, and to me it tastes very similar.

I have the original book, but also borrowed the new one and photocopied any interesting recipes I didn't already have. I couldn't live without the gee-whiz spread. It is still my favorite way to make vegan mac and cheeze - especially southwest style with salsa and chipotle pepper. I also have liked every block cheese I've tried: colby, muenster, gooda, onion, dill & horseradish, mostarella, swizz, havarti & gruyere. I think that's all of them. The colby makes a great melty grilled cheeze sandwich on the george forman. Oh and I like the boursin herb cheeze a lot too.

The only one I didn't like was the cream cheeze. I haven't tried many of the other recipes though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

ijustdiedinside wrote:

yeah, i always just sub any old light miso.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:54 pm 
ugh

lavawitch wrote:
Thanks! I'll ask about that one directly next time.

I always get South & River chickpea miso and it is reeeeally good. I haven't tried that other brand so I can't compare.

Looks like this:

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:24 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I guess I've only tried a couple of recipes from this book. I made the crock cheez (smoked cheddar version) for our super bowl party this year and it was so good! The texture is amazing. I also made a grilled cheez sandwich which I thought was okay. This thread is making me want to try more!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:44 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I finally tried the broccoli rice casserole just 'cause it sounded so nice and basic, and the weird thing is it tastes quite a bit like Rice-a-Roni or whatever its called! I love it, and my god its gotten be about a million times healthier than that crepe you buy in an envelope/box.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:17 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Has anyone made the feta recipe and served it to omnis? I made a batch (I've never made it before) and we are going on a trip w/ some omnis this week and I'm not sure if I should serve it to them? I'm trying to show them how awesome vegan food is and I don't want to gross them out if this isn't good :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:54 am 
Inflexitarian

I like all the cheese spreads in the book but have steered clear of the desserts and other recipes. I really bought the book for the spreads and dips and that's what i try to stick to, I took a detour and decided to try some block cheeses and although the texture was great and it was fun making them the taste just wasn't there and I ended up throwing out every batch I made. I still recommend this book because out of the recipes I do use they are in heavy rotation in my home so that makes it worth it to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:32 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Aubade wrote:
I have the original book, but also borrowed the new one and photocopied any interesting recipes I didn't already have. I couldn't live without the gee-whiz spread. It is still my favorite way to make vegan mac and cheeze - especially southwest style with salsa and chipotle pepper. I also have liked every block cheese I've tried: colby, muenster, gooda, onion, dill & horseradish, mostarella, swizz, havarti & gruyere. I think that's all of them. The colby makes a great melty grilled cheeze sandwich on the george forman. Oh and I like the boursin herb cheeze a lot too.

I have the original Uncheese and I just love it so much. It is one of my all-time favourite cookbooks (along with Table For Two, also by Jo Stepaniak). A while ago, I bought a copy of Ultimate Uncheese from Jo and she signed it for me. I like it well enough, but the first one is still my favourite!

I also have both editions of Vegan Vittles. I seem to use those equally and don't prefer one over the other. I think they are both good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:14 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the smoked crock cheese two weeks ago and it was very good. I ate it every day for a week. It was very satisfying to my umami taste.

Though I didn't try it out on cheese-eaters, I think it is something that most people would enjoy. The taste and texture both remind me of something I had as a child.