| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

heathenmama wrote:
Our favorite is the hot or cold tangy cheddar sauce. I use it on nachos on a regular basis. I leave out the tahini and add more cashews, halve the lemon juice, and use fresh garlic instead of powder. I think I could make this recipe with my eyes closed by now. So thick and creamy and tasty! Even my omnivore husband and picky kids love it.

I just got this cookbook the other day and this was the first recipe I tried.
I made it with the idea of putting it on top of baked potatoes with broccoli but ended up eating some right away with tortilla chips. Very good! The idea of roasted red peppers in there threw me off, but it works!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:07 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i make a big batch of the dry ingredients for the nacho cheez and keep it in a jar until i need it. it makes nacho-time happen faster.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vgnwitch wrote:
Aubade wrote:
I have the original book, but also borrowed the new one and photocopied any interesting recipes I didn't already have. I couldn't live without the gee-whiz spread. It is still my favorite way to make vegan mac and cheeze - especially southwest style with salsa and chipotle pepper. I also have liked every block cheese I've tried: colby, muenster, gooda, onion, dill & horseradish, mostarella, swizz, havarti & gruyere. I think that's all of them. The colby makes a great melty grilled cheeze sandwich on the george forman. Oh and I like the boursin herb cheeze a lot too.

I have the original Uncheese and I just love it so much. It is one of my all-time favourite cookbooks (along with Table For Two, also by Jo Stepaniak). A while ago, I bought a copy of Ultimate Uncheese from Jo and she signed it for me. I like it well enough, but the first one is still my favourite!

I also have both editions of Vegan Vittles. I seem to use those equally and don't prefer one over the other. I think they are both good.

I pulled out my dusty copy of table for two recently and cooked a couple things from it. Funny enough, this is now that I'm a family of three! The recipes all seem pretty good for kids though, so that's why I got interested in it again. I made the swiss seitan, brown rice croquettes, and the peanut butter cookies so far. The peanut butter cookies were (naturally) the biggest hit with my toddler!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

I want to make the broccoli-rice casserole but never have white rice. Has anybody made it with brown? How long did it take?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:48 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

akasha wrote:
I want to make the broccoli-rice casserole but never have white rice. Has anybody made it with brown? How long did it take?

I haven't made this in ages, but it only worked if I half-cooked the brown rice first - otherwise the rice never cooked completely and the broccoli turned to mush. So, I precooked the rice in 1.25 cups of water for 25 minutes (1/2 my normal cooking time,) then added 1.25 cups of soymilk, the rest of the ingredients and baked as originally directed.

I think I might try it again, soaking the brown rice overnight instead.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the horseradish, onion and dill cheese this afternoon to grate into my salad for dinner. I just snuck a slice off of the end and I was totally impressed! I really liked the onion pieces in it. I don't know if I've ever had a non-vegan cheese like this, but it's super delicious! I even think it'd crumble nicely into salad to stand in for feta, since the minced onion makes it not totally homogeneous and helps it break into uneven bits. I even fed it to my omni partner and he said that it tasted "like feet, in a good way." Haha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I found the original edition cheap, I am wondering if it was heavily revised for the Ultimate edition?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The original Uncheese Cookbook is one of my all-time favourite books. I use it more than Ultimate Uncheese, honestly, although I do like that one as well. The original book has biscuit and potato recipes that weren't carried over to the new edition.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks. Biscuit and potato recipes sound good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tried the gouda cheese and it turned out great! Probably would add the optional oil next time!