Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

Vegan Boulangerie
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1080
Page 1 of 2

Author:  ShannonLea [ Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Vegan Boulangerie

Does anyone have this book? I saw it on Amazon and am very curious!

Author:  mel c [ Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

A few people on the previous PPK boards bought it and were sorely disappointed. A lot of the photos appeared to be stock and not representational of the actual recipes.

Author:  chickpea35 [ Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

I have it. At some point I'll make something, but it seems so complicated.

Author:  interrobang?! [ Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

It's... not the best.

Author:  Taymer [ Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

oh no I am sorry to hear that stock photos what the heck?! in the book itself or for the front cover...for the front cover i can understand but in the book.
I am still sorry to hear that though

Author:  interrobang?! [ Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

Taymer wrote:
oh no I am sorry to hear that stock photos what the heck?! in the book itself or for the front cover...for the front cover i can understand but in the book.
I am still sorry to hear that though


The book itself doesn't have any photos- it's just black and white drawings. The cover has picture of macarons that are not vegan- i think Messyveggie (and maybe others?) tried out that recipe and no way did it produce the macarons featured.

Author:  hoveringdog [ Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

I have it, never used it. It's everything bad about self-published books. The crepe typography and production quality alone have kept me from actually endeavoring to try any of the recipes.

Author:  hoveringdog [ Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

interrobang?! wrote:
Taymer wrote:
oh no I am sorry to hear that stock photos what the heck?! in the book itself or for the front cover...for the front cover i can understand but in the book.
I am still sorry to hear that though


The book itself doesn't have any photos- it's just black and white drawings. The cover has picture of macarons that are not vegan- i think Messyveggie (and maybe others?) tried out that recipe and no way did it produce the macarons featured.


They're black and white photos, don't know if your edition differs. But they're fairly crepe quality.

Author:  interrobang?! [ Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

hoveringdog wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
Taymer wrote:
oh no I am sorry to hear that stock photos what the heck?! in the book itself or for the front cover...for the front cover i can understand but in the book.
I am still sorry to hear that though


The book itself doesn't have any photos- it's just black and white drawings. The cover has picture of macarons that are not vegan- i think Messyveggie (and maybe others?) tried out that recipe and no way did it produce the macarons featured.


They're black and white photos, don't know if your edition differs. But they're fairly crepe quality.


nah, you're right. i was just too lazy to look it up properly. Still, they're shiitake either way!

Author:  Mihl [ Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

hoveringdog wrote:
I have it, never used it. It's everything bad about self-published books. The crepe typography and production quality alone have kept me from actually endeavoring to try any of the recipes.


This. I just made a trip to France and maybe I am trying out some of their doughs. But maybe I'll look for recipes online instead.

Author:  erin32mc [ Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

I wish I would have waited on this purchase. I was really excited about the idea of the book and once I received it, I was disappointed. Nothing about it is inviting.

Author:  mean soybean [ Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

i recently purchased the book and was psyched to see a recipe for Madeleines. I know there's a (fairly popular) blogger trying to get her vegan version right. I can't wait to try it.

Author:  celyn [ Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

Which blogger?

Author:  annak [ Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

I wish I'd seen this thread before ordering it as well. I can't say there's anything I would expect in a vegan french bakery cookbook that isn't there, exactly, but I haven't made anything yet and it's really one of the least accessible cookbooks I own. I'm dismayed that so many of the recipes seem like bijective veganizations (for the non-math nerds, I mean that it seems like they took regular recipes and just veganized them ingredient by ingredient, like pepperoni->vegan pepperoni! cheese->vegan cheese!). I find the lack of appealing photos, while not a dealbreaker, makes it tough to jump in and want to make something. There aren't any blurbs by each recipe, so I find myself having to google what a "fougasse" or a "mouilette" even is. The recipes are NOT at all Americanized. I lived in Europe and have a scale so I can mostly deal with this OK, but my scale isn't precise so I tend to shy from recipes that measure everything out by weight. When I break down and FINALLY buy a nutritional scale I may suddenly start using half my cookbooks I've ignored. Plus it really just seems like they assume that you've eaten all these things and probably made them in non-vegan versions and know what to expect things to look, feel, and taste like at each step. I'm sure thee are plenty of American cookbooks with the same flaws where I take these things for granted, but gosh, how intimidating. I've been to France a few times but I still couldn't tell you what half the stuff is supposed to look like without googling it.

It's not completely vegan and it's not a bakery cookbook, but for anyone looking for more inviting French veg cookbooks, I really like "The Vegetarian Bistro." It doesn't have photos either, but I love blurbs before recipes explaining why the author included them and it's just so much more accessible.

Author:  mean soybean [ Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

celyn wrote:
Which blogger?


http://veganyumyum.com/2008/01/the-sear ... adeleines/

Author:  mean soybean [ Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

annak wrote:
[..] There aren't any blurbs by each recipe, so I find myself having to google what a "fougasse" or a "mouilette" even is. [..] Plus it really just seems like they assume that you've eaten all these things and probably made them in non-vegan versions and know what to expect things to look, feel, and taste like at each step. [...] I've been to France a few times but I still couldn't tell you what half the stuff is supposed to look like without googling it.


Yes! I just leafed through it again and noticed that there are no introductory blurbs to the recipes. I can deal without pictures but this is very annoying. I'll need to google all the stuff and hand-write notes into the book. The only reference to a Croque-Monsieur I have is from Futurama, and I didn't know it was a sandwich til now.

Author:  trash [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

Another 'wish I'd seen this before buying.' I've had it several months now and nothing has really inspired me; it seems like I could just as easily have looked up a bunch of omni recipes and subbed vegan margarine and soya milk for the dairy ingredients, really. Might still have a go at the pain au chocolat or almond croissants from it sometime, though.

Author:  annak [ Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

For those looking for madeleines, the new Babycakes Covers the Classics book apparently has a recipe. I don't own the book and haven't tried it, just throwing that out there. (I actually have the first Babycakes cookbook and haven't made anything out of that because of the GF flours purchasing barrier, but the new book's recipes look more intrinsically interesting to me)

Author:  VegSo [ Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

I saw this cookbook in the new Vegan Sprout website. I am originally from France, so I know all that is listed, most of it I know what it tastes like and should look like. I can totally understand why this book would be super intimidating and hard to access for non-French people, which you know seems to be the public. I was thinking of buying it to see if I can get better results since I know what everything is. I don't want a cookbook that will sit on the shelves though, so I'm wondering if it's worth it or not! I was very excited too, because that is one thing I will miss in my next trip which will by my first vegan time in France!

Author:  allychristine [ Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

VegSo wrote:
I saw this cookbook in the new Vegan Sprout website. I am originally from France, so I know all that is listed, most of it I know what it tastes like and should look like. I can totally understand why this book would be super intimidating and hard to access for non-French people, which you know seems to be the public. I was thinking of buying it to see if I can get better results since I know what everything is. I don't want a cookbook that will sit on the shelves though, so I'm wondering if it's worth it or not! I was very excited too, because that is one thing I will miss in my next trip which will by my first vegan time in France!


1 book review and 17 recipe reviews have since been added, in case you're interested! http://vegansprout.com/detail/cookbook/ ... ulangerie/

Author:  annak [ Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

Wow, those reviews are not making me want to delve into this one.

Author:  VegSo [ Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

allychristine wrote:
VegSo wrote:
I saw this cookbook in the new Vegan Sprout website. I am originally from France, so I know all that is listed, most of it I know what it tastes like and should look like. I can totally understand why this book would be super intimidating and hard to access for non-French people, which you know seems to be the public. I was thinking of buying it to see if I can get better results since I know what everything is. I don't want a cookbook that will sit on the shelves though, so I'm wondering if it's worth it or not! I was very excited too, because that is one thing I will miss in my next trip which will by my first vegan time in France!


1 book review and 17 recipe reviews have since been added, in case you're interested! http://vegansprout.com/detail/cookbook/ ... ulangerie/


Did you write it?

I just had to read a couple to realize the person means pâte and not pâté (you know the spreadable pork product).

anyway, yeah I guess it's not worth it. It just feels wrong not to try this book, lol.

Author:  Minatomachi [ Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

I made the pain de mie (soft white bread) and it is very good! It was my first time baking bread in a loaf tin. The bread is soft and moist, with a thin, crispy, buttery crust.

I don't mind the French words, the weight measurements and the stock photos so I think I might love this book if other recipes turn out this well.

Author:  dropscone [ Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

Phew, I'm glad to see one positive review! I was given this book for my birthday a couple of years ago, never been inspired to cook from it yet, but feel like I should at least try something before dismissing it.

Author:  Minatomachi [ Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Boulangerie

I made the multi-flavoured wreath with a friend a couple days ago for a potluck and everyone loved it. I made two wreaths and what was left was still yummy two days after being made, too. I colored them pink with beet puree and they looked like cute flowers. And we had fun sprinkling a different ingredient on each roll of the wreaths. It's my second attempt with this book and a second success.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/