| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peace and Parsnips
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I ordered this on impulse while browsing around Amazon UK. I haven't made anything yet but am very happy with it. It's a big hardback book and is very pretty. The author is Welsh so it is UK weights and measures and you can tell from a lot of the recipes too. The book is absolutely crammed full of pictures of the author; he makes Anyi and Chloe seem camera shy! On the plus side his writing is good, he is obviously very well travelled and this comes through in his recipes. As well as all the author pictures there are lots of good pics of the food and the beautiful welsh countryside. It doesn't use any store bought meat replacements at all, there is the odd call for soya yoghurt or puff pastry but most things are freshly made. There is good use of a lot of veg I love which don't normally get much of an airing in US books - leeks, watercress, parsnips, swede etc. The recipes are reasonably complex enough to be interesting. I'm making my first recipe tomorrow (open top asparagus and cashew cream pie with fig and apple compote) so I'll report back then.

Edit to add there are a couple of raw recipes throughout, there is I think one which calls for seitan and one for tempeh. Those things are much more unusual here anyway.

Post subject: Re: Peace and Parsnips
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I hadn't heard of him or his book but this looks awesome. I just ordered a copy!
I don't think I have any vegan cookbooks by a British author so hopefully all the ingredients in there will be easy to get hold of for a change (at least it looks like it from the Amazon preview). Let us know how your pie turns out :)

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world. - kfad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:40 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've seen this and thought about getting it BUT I'm currently on a self imposed cookbook buying ban. It looked lovely & I'm looking forward to hearing what you've been making so I can justify buying it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh, I just looked at it ... I want it ... do I need another cookbook? do anyone of us need a cookbook at all what with all manner of fab recipes free to view, copy on-line.

NO!

But will we keep buying them?

YES!

They are delight to cosy up and read ...

Anne, whose finger is THIS close to 'add to basket'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So the very first thing I tried had an error in! The fig and apple compote says you need to remove the cinnamon when there isn't any listed in the ingredients. It was easy to guess but it was just not a good start. I had an oven thermometer in so I knew it was right, but I used the minimum cooking time. I thought the pastry would be overlooked or even burnt but it wasn't and it did give it a really crisp base.

I liked this but I wasn't sure about the blend of the compote with the tart. The compote seemed a bit overpowering. It grew on me as I ate it but I think the cashew cream needed more salt and a bit more nooch. The tart was lovely and would be something you could easily serve to omnis.

I liked this but it didn't wow me, but I'm definitely not put off trying something else. Hopefully the mistake will be a one off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:57 am 
WRETCHED

I'm definitely interested in hearing more although I'll say the veggies you mention, aren't exactly easy to get in the US (watercress, parsnips, rutabaga show up once in a great while in the grocery stores here, leeks are pretty normal though)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've tried a few more things. The next thing I made was the matar daal with watercress and braised red cabbage sabzi, but I had a GF visitor so I made the cauliflower rice from another recipe instead of the chapati. I really liked the daal and the cauliflower. I love watercress so much and hardly ever see recipes for it so I was always going to like that. The cabbage was OK but needed a bit more oomph. I tend not to like fruit with savoury so I skimped on the orange a bit, but I wouldn't next time. A nice meal which didnt take long to put together for 3 home made components and impressed the GF meat eating visitor.

Next I tried the spiced chana masala with brown chickpeas, tamarind and kale, to use up some brown chickpeas I'd had forever. I like this less; even though it used a blended tomato spice sauce and looked like a good recipe it tasted like curry you get in vegetarian hippy cafes. Not necessarily a bad thing but I expected more. Was a lot better on the second day.

Then I made the couscous salad with tempeh, preserved lemons, courgette and almonds. I used green courgette instead of yellow with no ill effect and I loved this. It was light but filling. It's not the sort of thing we normally eat for a meal but we both liked it. Could easily be made GF by using quinoa for the couscous, and a good potluck dish. Will definitely do again.

Next the chargrilled chorizo pinchos with pistachio and coriander pesto. There were a few confusing things in the recipe - it says it makes 8 sausages, but the recipe says to shape into 6, and then it asks for 4 panini cut into 3 slices each to serve. Anyway, disregarding that the flavours were good, the textures less so. He starts but saying they're normally small but he made them bigger to serve as a meal and I think they'd be better smaller. The inside of them was a bit claggy. I made the leftovers into smaller balls and they were much better. The pesto was good and there was an awful lot of flavour; they looked impressive too. I would do again but tweak the sizing.

Lastly I made the puy lentil and cauliflower tabbouleh. I loved everything about this. It made tonnes, used ingredients I have around but don't use much like pomegranate molasses, it was fresh but hearty and quite unusual. Another great potluck dish. Will definitely make again.

So it's a bit of a mixed bag but generally the flavours have been good and I'll definitely try more. I think there's a couple of pics on my instagram (same username)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:29 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I wanted to get this, but the price shot up to over $40, which would be too much of splurge. A paperback version is scheduled for release next year, so maybe the price drop a bit.

Hoping for more comments about the recipes though. Meanwhile, am contenting myself with his website, which has quite a few recipes on there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

This cookbook is now available in the US version. Shared my review here:

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... -giveaway/

Also includes the recipe for Turkish Spinach with Creamy Tofu Ricotta
plus a chance to win a giveaway.

Gorgeous cookbook, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:09 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Giveaway entered!

I've got this book sitting on my Amazon wish list - it's sounds lovely and different.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
I'm definitely interested in hearing more although I'll say the veggies you mention, aren't exactly easy to get in the US (watercress, parsnips, rutabaga show up once in a great while in the grocery stores here, leeks are pretty normal though)

I've seen watercress and parsnips in most larger stores, but they are always in strange places. Wegmans has parsnips by the mushrooms and watercress with the cilantro.

I'm also on a cookbook buying freeze, unless they are ebooks, but most cookbooks have horrible ebook versions so I've stopped risking it. That Turkish spinach looks really nice though...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

linanil wrote:
watercress, parsnips, rutabaga show up once in a great while in the grocery stores here

Is rutabaga the American word for swede? I wasn't sure what a swede was, other than a person from Sweden.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yep.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

linanil wrote:
But... but... those are all everyday foods. This is a bit like when I've returned American recipe books to the bookshop because none of the ingredients are buyable here, but they're usually only branded goods (apart from liquid smoke. fork you, liquid smoke).

How do you make your salads spicy? What do you roast apart from carrots and potatoes? What do you curry in soups?

I'll add that to my list of things we have but America doesn't, like self-raising flour and Kinder eggs.

Blah blah blah.

I've just ordered a copy. Thanks for the recipe reviews!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:46 pm 
WRETCHED

Spicy salads? Depends what types of salads but perhaps jalapeƱos or those yellow Italian peppers.

As for roasted veggies, there is broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, beets, and potatoes. I've never roasted carrots myself.

I'm also not sure what you mean curry in soups. I mean I've made Indian style soups but none of them called for rutabaga or parsnips.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

linanil wrote:
Spicy salads? Depends what types of salads but perhaps jalapeƱos or those yellow Italian peppers.

As for roasted veggies, there is broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, beets, and potatoes.

I'll add cauliflower, eggplant, peppers, onions, and portobello mushrooms to that list!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Gulliver wrote:
How do you make your salads spicy?

Arugula? Radishes? Red onion? Pepperoncini?

Also please note Linanil didn't say we never find those three veggies, just that they are found sporadically.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Gulliver wrote:
I'll add that to my list of things we have but America doesn't, like self-raising flour and Kinder eggs.

We have self-rising flour in America.