| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Talk Me Out of Buying More Cookbooks Support Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:09 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Amy wrote:
Sometimes I go to Amazon, search "vegan" in books, then sort by publication date (newest first). I just put some February 2012 books on my wishlist.

oh wow that is neat! Looks like Sticky Fingers baker has a book coming out..I better order that at the library now!

I do like getting things from the library. It takes a bit longer if they don't already have the book (or it has 20 holds), but I like reading through the books too, and I just don't have the shelf space anymore to store them. I just gave several books to a friend that recently went veg. There are so many new books coming out, it is exciting that more people are learning about veganism. Even some normally non food related blogs I read may mention an Isa recipe or something and it makes me smile.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I went to Borders to check out the sale. There was still a fair amount of vegan cookbooks, but they were only 20% off, so I'll have to go back another day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:15 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I walked past a used bookstore yesterday. I was going to go in and check out the cookbooks, but then I thought of this thread and kept right on walking. Success!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yay! I've been good too. I resisted ordering a new one even though I had to spend nearly $100 on two textbooks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm trying to resist buying AFR even though Book Depo has it for a really good price as well as AVK. I just checked my library and they have AFR avail, so I might borrow it for now. I shouldn't bother with any new books, I am cooking my way through Viva Vegan! so I should focus on that and I still have so many books that I've neglected.

Rach*n wrote:
I am making tamales today. They scared me until I saw this video-she makes it look easy! I love viva vegan!

http://tofuguru.net/show/%C2%A1vegan-tamales

That was a great video, the tamales from VV! are delicious.

Beanitarian wrote:
If it's any help, I'm probably not going to get the pie book either. At least not for a while. It will probably be an awesome cookbook, but I just don't have time for making pies that often, and when I do I already have tried and true recipes for a few kinds of pies.

Me neither, I don't make pie often but I will probably buy it eventually so I have the trio all together.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:16 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Ugh. I asked hubby to help me and tell me "NO MORE!" when I want a new one, and he was very wishy-washy in his reaction. Like "uh... Ok..." is he addicted too, or does he know he won't win when I want one? Must be strong myself here....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I was doing so well. Then I made the chocolate chocolate chip pancakes from VwaV for the hubby for breakfast yesterday. I told him it was from a cookbook I had been looking at buying along with two others (Vcon and VB) and he said, "Well, you do use your cookbooks and you don't have many vegan ones." Today I fell off the wagon and promptly bought all three on amazon. I had just been using recipes of Isa's from this website...

It is true though, most of mine are vegetarian and some of those recipes can be hard for me to adapt, and I did spend the last month cooking lots of Isa's recipes to see if we really liked them and we pretty much loved everything. Now I'll need to get rid of some vegetarian cookbooks, any good suggestions on what to do with them?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I give books of all types to the library. They're always glad to take them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't bought any more, either. I looked through Vegan Cookie Connoisseur and was tempted but ultimately realized that I'm a simple lady when it comes to cookies; I rarely use Isa's cookie book because I just prefer basic cookies and have plenty of recipes to suit me. Plus, if I want something different I've got veganizing traditional cookie recipes down.

I am considering Vegan Lunchbox if kid gets into prek. I know there's plenty of info online but I prefer a book. Maybe I'm rationalizing but I wouldn't see this so much as breaking my abstinence since it is to serve a very specific purpose and also to help give my husband an easy guide for lunch packing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:35 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

bekki wrote:
I haven't bought any more, either. I looked through Vegan Cookie Connoisseur and was tempted but ultimately realized that I'm a simple lady when it comes to cookies; I rarely use Isa's cookie book because I just prefer basic cookies and have plenty of recipes to suit me. Plus, if I want something different I've got veganizing traditional cookie recipes down.

I am considering Vegan Lunchbox if kid gets into prek. I know there's plenty of info online but I prefer a book. Maybe I'm rationalizing but I wouldn't see this so much as breaking my abstinence since it is to serve a very specific purpose and also to help give my husband an easy guide for lunch packing.

If you can, look at before buying. It's organized sort of oddly and may or may not help as a guide, depending on how your mind works.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:39 am 
ol' garly cooch

After buying multiple cook books, I just don't see buying anymore because I don't use the ones I have enough and I can check out the ones I want at the liberry if I'm curious. I love me some vegan recipe writers/cooks but daaaaamn, I ain't made of money.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:48 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Not buying new cookbooks has made me use the ones I have more. Last week, I tried two different recipes for the first time - the Southwestern Black Bean Chowder from Vegan on the Cheap and the Vegan Comfort Food Mac and Cheese (which I have been planning on trying for months but never got around to it until recently). Of course, I liked everything. My kids loved the black bean chowder and ate it without a single complaint (a rarity lately) and they liked the mac and cheese but said they would like it better with less pepper - luckily, an easy fix.

I won't say I'll never buy any more cookbooks, but I am not able to buy them now at all. I thought it would be absolutely awful, but I'm trying to get around to cooking recipes that I've been meaning to try (as long as no crazy expensive ingredients are involved) and looking for hidden treasures in cookbooks I don't use nearly enough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:25 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Vegan Scoop or Lick It?

AUGH CAN'T CHOOSE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Kate wrote:
Vegan Scoop or Lick It?

AUGH CAN'T CHOOSE

Neither! Refer to thread title!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The Vegan Scoop is the same recipe with many flavor variations. But, the base recipe is not that great -- it was never creamy enough for me without a lot of additions (oil, corn syrup, etc).

If you have Veganomicon, that's really all you need. The vanilla ice cream recipe is easy, awesome, and amenable to experimentation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have a TON of cookbooks I don't use and probably never will. We should set up a swap.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:59 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Invictus wrote:
I have a TON of cookbooks I don't use and probably never will. We should set up a swap.

I think that's a great idea! I have ton of cookbooks too, but some I definitely don't like or use much, but they are vegan, so I think it's sad that they don't have a home that wants them. They're not crappy by any means, but they just don't appeal a ton to me (for example the Vegan Lunch Box cookbooks...I don't have kids and the recipes don't really interest me). I don't want to diss vegan cookbooks that just don't suit me, but I'd love to see them go to a more appreciative home. I wonder how we could organize this kind of swap. I don't have much spare cash for shipping these days.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:08 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

mollyjade wrote:
If you can, look at before buying. It's organized sort of oddly and may or may not help as a guide, depending on how your mind works.

Agreed. I actually went through my copy with a pen and cross-listed everything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:39 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

lavawitch wrote:
Kate wrote:
Vegan Scoop or Lick It?

AUGH CAN'T CHOOSE

Neither! Refer to thread title!

I KNOW BUT
BUT
BUT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:35 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

lavawitch wrote:
Yay! I've been good too. I resisted ordering a new one even though I had to spend nearly $100 on two textbooks!

You could buy like 8 cookbooks instead of 2 textbooks! Haha.

Cookbook buying/resisting buying tips:
-About 95% of the money spent on a book goes to the publisher and bookstore. Does Amazon really need more money? Resist!
-On the flip side, if you can't resist: if an author is selling books at a signing or on their website, buying directly from them really does help the author.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:06 am 
Discovered unobtainium

AutumnVegan wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

You could buy like 8 cookbooks instead of 2 textbooks! Haha.

Cookbook buying/resisting buying tips:
-About 95% of the money spent on a book goes to the publisher and bookstore. Does Amazon really need more money? Resist!
-On the flip side, if you can't resist: if an author is selling books at a signing or on their website, buying directly from them really does help the author.

Don't think I haven't thought of buying cookbooks and romance novels instead of textbooks.

We don't even have bookstores anymore. Boo! Once Borders goes bye bye, the nearest will be a 2 hour rt. I can't even...

When I can afford to splurge on another cookbook or two, your cookie book is top of the list. I love baking cookies. I don't love clothes with elastic waistbands.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:41 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I would love to swap out some cookbooks, mostly the older ones that I bought back in the day when there weren't new vegan cookbooks every damn month. Vegan Lunch Box, i'm looking at you.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:24 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Let's set this up! I have dozens I'd be up for swapping/gifting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Does anybody actually use Vegan Lunchbox? It looks nice, but I've never used mine either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:48 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I made a few things out of it, but since I don't have kids and I generally just take leftovers/cut up fruit, veggies, and dip/noodle bowls to work for lunch, I never feel the need to pull it out.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next