Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

Vegan Planet
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=124
Page 2 of 3

Author:  dimsimkitty [ Sun May 01, 2011 11:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I've made a lot of recipes from this book. Lately I have been cooking more from 1000 Vegan Recipes, but I still go back to Vegan Planet for new fun times. It's a great book!

Author:  rohai [ Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

This is one of the first vegan cookbooks I had bought and I kind of gave up on it, though I'm not sure why.

Last night I made the tahini rotini with broccoli and lemon, and it was really good. I'll make it again for sure.

Author:  starrynight87 [ Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I brought the key lime cheesecake to a potluck and no one knew the difference. It was phenomenal. I need an excuse to make that again.

Author:  fenice [ Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

We made the Sweet & Spicy Chili at an omni chili cook off -- no one believed it was vegan and we came in second (and only because we ran out of chili before the end of the competition).

Author:  Efcliz [ Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

rohai wrote:
This is one of the first vegan cookbooks I had bought and I kind of gave up on it, though I'm not sure why.

Last night I made the tahini rotini with broccoli and lemon, and it was really good. I'll make it again for sure.


When I first became vegan I ate that so often I got fed up of it, but I love it so I must make it again soon.

Author:  Phoenix [ Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

It was my first vegan cookbook too, but I haven't used it much - mostly because it doesn't have any pictures, I guess.
I dimly remember the peanut butter brownies, though... I think those were from VP.

Author:  AlwaysHungry [ Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

There's a coconut curry noodle recipe in this cookbook that I use often... I just love it.

Otherwise, I haven't used this cookbook much. But after hearing some recipe love from you guys, I think I'll be picking it up again.

Author:  Norelle [ Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I'm currently cooking my way through this entire cookbook (every recipe, except for the ones where i can't really omit the olives...) and it's been very good to me so far. I WOULD HAVE brought the key lime cheesecake to my family's thanksgiving, if not for something starting on fire in the oven and setting the smoke alarm off and turning it this brownish color. Butttt my boyfriend been eating it and hasn't figured out that it's all tofu yet so, i'd say that's good marks :)

Author:  Norelle [ Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

made the black bean and sweet potato enchiladas and they were FABULOUS. my boyfriend ate four of them at once.

Author:  molly [ Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I have this out from the library right now and made the key lime cheesecake - it was my best vegan cheesecake so far! I topped it with blueberry-ginger sauce from Vegan Brunch.

Author:  Norelle [ Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

So, i made the poblano peppers stuffed with cumin and orange rice for dinner tonight, because i like a little heat and my boyfriend loves spicy stuff but these were hot to the point of inedible. my mouth was on fire like two bites in, and i actually called a spicy foods buff friend of mine who is on his way over to pick up the last six of them. normally i would have halved the recipe, but matt and i generally love stuffed peppers and would eat a whole bunch of them. i don't know if i just picked particularly spicy poblanos but this recipe was a fail for us!

Author:  creep [ Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

Norelle wrote:
So, i made the poblano peppers stuffed with cumin and orange rice for dinner tonight, because i like a little heat and my boyfriend loves spicy stuff but these were hot to the point of inedible. my mouth was on fire like two bites in, and i actually called a spicy foods buff friend of mine who is on his way over to pick up the last six of them. normally i would have halved the recipe, but matt and i generally love stuffed peppers and would eat a whole bunch of them. i don't know if i just picked particularly spicy poblanos but this recipe was a fail for us!


Did you get the seeds and membranes out completely?

It seems like peppers are hotter certain times of the year, depending on where you are.

Author:  Norelle [ Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

creep wrote:
Norelle wrote:
So, i made the poblano peppers stuffed with cumin and orange rice for dinner tonight, because i like a little heat and my boyfriend loves spicy stuff but these were hot to the point of inedible. my mouth was on fire like two bites in, and i actually called a spicy foods buff friend of mine who is on his way over to pick up the last six of them. normally i would have halved the recipe, but matt and i generally love stuffed peppers and would eat a whole bunch of them. i don't know if i just picked particularly spicy poblanos but this recipe was a fail for us!


Did you get the seeds and membranes out completely?

It seems like peppers are hotter certain times of the year, depending on where you are.



yeah i was pretty sure i did, but i don't know if i just left juice or something in there. it was bad news lol.

Author:  jessikitty [ Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I just ordered a used copy of this book and it looks really good! I see so many recipes that I want to make. The sad thing is, the copy I ordered is missing sections, while other sections are printed twice. One missing section was the pizza section, and pizza seems pretty necessary to me. So I will have to return it but definitely want to buy it again. The black bean and sweet potato enchiladas sound particularly good.

Author:  Norelle [ Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

jessikitty wrote:
I just ordered a used copy of this book and it looks really good! I see so many recipes that I want to make. The sad thing is, the copy I ordered is missing sections, while other sections are printed twice. One missing section was the pizza section, and pizza seems pretty necessary to me. So I will have to return it but definitely want to buy it again. The black bean and sweet potato enchiladas sound particularly good.


they are awesome. my meat eater boyfriend LOOOOOVED them.

Author:  Kelvia [ Sun May 06, 2012 12:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I'm excited that it's warming up, which means local asparagus, which means its time for the Springy Tarragon pasta salad. It is absolutely delicious, & I usually make it in the morning to let the flavors meld.

Author:  ComradeSquirrel [ Sat May 12, 2012 6:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I made the Moroccan five spice couscous salad (p128) last night and it was awesome. I used to make it all the time but had forgotten about it. I subbed the raisins for chopped dried apricots cause I was making it for my mum and she hates raisins. This recipe is super good for packing in your lunch box too.

Also, the key lime cheesecake is still the best dessert I have ever made. I haven't made it for at least 6 years but I still remember its fabulousness! You have to try it with a swirl of dark chocolate on top. Omfg, nom!

Author:  Lily [ Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I made the sauerkraut and tempeh goulash (not for the first time) and really liked it (again)! It was perfect for using up leftover tempeh and sauerkraut in the freezer.

Author:  Norelle [ Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

i finished making all of the recipes in this cookbook last week.

overall, excellent cookbook. there were only a few recipes that i skipped overall just due to not liking the food in question/ingredients (eggplant based, or couldn't omit olives without ruining the whole dish, etc)

Author:  daisysunshine [ Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

Lemon Risottto + Isa's Chickpea Picatta = mouth orgasm.

Author:  Lily [ Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

Norelle wrote:
i finished making all of the recipes in this cookbook last week.

overall, excellent cookbook. there were only a few recipes that i skipped overall just due to not liking the food in question/ingredients (eggplant based, or couldn't omit olives without ruining the whole dish, etc)



Can you recommend recipes that stood out or that turned out much tastier than you would have expected? Anything that is easy to overlook but really worth making?

Author:  Lily [ Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I made the pasta salad nicoise (not sure if that is the exact title) and liked it a lot. It was not spectacular but really good and made a huge amount of salad, too. This would be perfect picknick fare.

I did cook the green beans for longer though (until they were just done) because I just do not think that they should be half raw.

Author:  LFL [ Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

A revised edition of Vegan Planet is coming out in January. Link here.

Author:  Imogen [ Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I made the soda bread from this recently, and it was very nice but a little solid for my taste. I think I might have another go and up the leavening agent!

Author:  darksideknitter [ Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vegan Planet

I'm late to the Vegan Planet party, I bought the revised edition when it came out, it's like Celine and Joni's 500 Vegan Recipes (not the other 500 VR), I really want to like it but I think the lack of pictures causes me to skip over it in favour of other books with pictures.

I made my first recipe from it the other day, Portobello Satays. Mushrooms and peanut sauce? Two of my favourite things! And it really was delicious, I was very pleased with myself.
Tomorrow I'm making the Seitan Roast with Chestnut and Cranberry Stuffing, I've seen fresh chestnuts over the last month in the supermarket and keep telling myself I should try them in something.

Having previously made Isa's wonderful seitan roast before, I am confident that I can make this roast but I'm apprehensive about this new ingredient - chestnuts. I think I'll use the boiling method to be able to shell them.

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/