| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your favorite vegetarian or omni cookbooks to veganize?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

A thread for talking about your favorite non-vegan cookbooks that contain vegan or veganizable recipes.

At the moment my favorite of these is Gil Marks' James Beard winning Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World. This is truly a world cookbook and one doesn't need to be Jewish to enjoy both the foods' history and the fabulous recipes.

Recently I also purchased The Vegetarian Bistro: 250 Authentic French Regional Recipes by Marlena Spieler and was pleasantly surprised at the number of vegan or veganizable recipes, at least for a French cookbook. I haven't made anything out of it yet but it looks good.

I'm also interested in Jerusalem by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi (an omni Middle Eastern cookbook) but I'm waiting for the ebook's price to drop.

What are your favorite non-vegan cookbooks for veganizing?

Post subject: Re: Your favorite vegetarian or omni cookbooks to veganize?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:03 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LFL wrote:
Recently I also purchased The Vegetarian Bistro: 250 Authentic French Regional Recipes by Marlena Spieler and was pleasantly surprised at the number of vegan or veganizable recipes, at least for a French cookbook. I haven't made anything out of it yet but it looks good.

There's an artichoke soup in there that I love.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:11 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Other than any number of ethnic books that I like that are not vegetarian much less vegan, I regularly use the following:

Food to Live By - Myra Goodman
Earth-Bound Cook - Myra Goodman
Power Foods - by the editors of Whole Living Magazine
The Barefoot Contessa - Ina Gartin (All of her books are of interest to me, but this is the one I use and like the most.)

These books all contain some really great tasting recipes that are either vegan or easy to make vegan. Some of my favorite recipes can be found on their pages.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:35 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I like pretty much anything by Nigella Lawson, Jamie Oliver, and Delia Smith. I'm just starting to explore Gordon Ramsay.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I love Madhur Jaffrey's "World of the East Vegetarian Cooking". I've had that cook book so long that chunks of pages are falling out. A lot of the recipes are already vegan, but most of the others are easily made vegan. The only things I haven't really been able to veganize is the section on eggs, though I'm sure people more skilled than I in that arena could probably at least get a couple of those recipes vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:27 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

non-vegan cookbooks my partner and i use on the regular:

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian
Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone by Deborah Madison
Chinese Vegetarian Cookery and Indian Vegetarian Cookery, both by Jack Santa Maria (partner uses these more than i do)
The Big Bean Cookbook by Nicola Graimes

there's also a big omni pan-Asian cookbook from the 70s that used to belong to his granny, but i can't remember the title or author. i don't know if we *veganize* the books so much as use the recipes that are already vegan or have ingredients that are easily substituted.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:52 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
LFL wrote:

Ooh, that looks good! Do you use fresh or frozen artichokes to make it? And have you ever made the Artichoke Soup with Hazelnuts variation? That sounds delicious too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:59 pm 

weaver wrote:
Other than any number of ethnic books that I like that are not vegetarian much less vegan, I regularly use the following:

Food to Live By - Myra Goodman
Earth-Bound Cook - Myra Goodman
Power Foods - by the editors of Whole Living Magazine
The Barefoot Contessa - Ina Gartin (All of her books are of interest to me, but this is the one I use and like the most.)

vgnwitch wrote:
I like pretty much anything by Nigella Lawson, Jamie Oliver, and Delia Smith. I'm just starting to explore Gordon Ramsay.

Can you guys say more about why you like these? Also, weaver, what are your favorites among the ethnic cookbooks?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:02 pm 

DEG wrote:
I love Madhur Jaffrey's "World of the East Vegetarian Cooking". I've had that cook book so long that chunks of pages are falling out. A lot of the recipes are already vegan, but most of the others are easily made vegan. The only things I haven't really been able to veganize is the section on eggs, though I'm sure people more skilled than I in that arena could probably at least get a couple of those recipes vegan.

I have this cookbook, owing to its pretty, pretty cover and to the recommendation of a friend who loved it. However, I'm sorry to say I haven't made anything out of it. What are your favorite recipes from this cookbook?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:09 pm 

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
non-vegan cookbooks my partner and i use on the regular:

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian
Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone by Deborah Madison
Chinese Vegetarian Cookery and Indian Vegetarian Cookery, both by Jack Santa Maria (partner uses these more than i do)
The Big Bean Cookbook by Nicola Graimes

there's also a big omni pan-Asian cookbook from the 70s that used to belong to his granny, but i can't remember the title or author. i don't know if we *veganize* the books so much as use the recipes that are already vegan or have ingredients that are easily substituted.

Yeah, maybe "veganize" wasn't the best word choice. In some cases I do veganize but in other cases I just follow the recipes that are already vegan within these cookbooks. But I wanted the thread to give recommendations of books that are adaptable to a vegan diet.

I used to have that Deborah Madison cookbook but I found that it was too big and heavy for me to use easily (I have a repetitive strain injury to my wrists), so I gave it away. Now that I have an ebook reader I could be tempted into purchasing, especially since I saw on Amazon that Madison will be issuing a revised version next year. What are some of your favorite recipes from Madison's cookbook?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Favorite recipes from "World of the East Vegetarian Cooking"-

Cold noodles in peanut sauce. I love this one. You have to use Chinese black vinegar though. If you can't come by that ingredient, don't bother.
mung dal pancakes
the Indian creamed eggplant (no idea what the name of the recipe is) can be veganized with cashew cream
samosas
there is a cauliflower in a coconut and cashew sauce that I liked and was very different
gujarati carrot salad is good on a hot day
The eggplant and potato dish in the Vegetable section

I'll have to actually get out my copy of the book later to see what I make. I can't remember now. I just know I love it. I do usually cut down on the oil a bit though as she has a generous hand and I just don't like quite that much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

LFL wrote:
What are some of your favorite recipes from Madison's cookbook?

i really love that there's a whole chapter for vegetables with dedicated sub-sections for each type - it's one of the first things i look at when i need ideas other than steaming or stir-frying. the other night i made beet greens Catalan style, sauteed with pine nuts & raisins.

that's what i primarily use the book for, but i also like some of the baking recipes, like the classic sandwich bread and sweet potato muffins (sub flax & water for eggs, etc). i could stand to delve more deeply into the other chapters.

the book i couldn't remember last night is The Complete Asian Cookbook by Charmaine Solomon. it's pretty meat-heavy, and now that i think about it we don't use it all that much anymore.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:32 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LFL wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
LFL wrote:

Ooh, that looks good! Do you use fresh or frozen artichokes to make it? And have you ever made the Artichoke Soup with Hazelnuts variation? That sounds delicious too.

I use frozen. I'm too lazy/cheap to use fresh. I haven't tried the variation. This is a book I checked out of the library, so I didn't get to try much else. But I regularly make the artichoke soup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 pm 

DEG wrote:

Cold noodles in peanut sauce. I love this one. You have to use Chinese black vinegar though. If you can't come by that ingredient, don't bother.
mung dal pancakes
the Indian creamed eggplant (no idea what the name of the recipe is) can be veganized with cashew cream
samosas
there is a cauliflower in a coconut and cashew sauce that I liked and was very different

I'll have to actually get out my copy of the book later to see what I make. I can't remember now. I just know I love it. I do usually cut down on the oil a bit though as she has a generous hand and I just don't like quite that much.

Thanks! Those recipes look really good, although the mung dal pancakes use a lot of oil.

Out of curiosity, what makes Chinese black vinegar different? I've never used it.

Also, to make the cashew cream you sub into the creamed eggplant dish, do you use a specific recipe?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't have any of his cookbooks, but I love veganizing Rick Bayless stuff. I've used his recipes as a base for sauces and other Mexican foods. We can't get Latin ingredients in the Netherlands, so I usually bring dried chilies back from the states and make everything from scratch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

LFL wrote:
DEG wrote:

mung dal pancakes
samosas

Thanks! Those recipes look really good, although the mung dal pancakes use a lot of oil.

Out of curiosity, what makes Chinese black vinegar different? I've never used it.

Also, to make the cashew cream you sub into the creamed eggplant dish, do you use a specific recipe?

I cut back the oil on most of her recipes, to be honest. I think she goes a bit crazy with the oil, and it doesn't add anything as far as I'm concerned. I don't mean I cut it out, but when she says to use 5 T oil to saute onions, garlic, and ginger, I usually use about 1. I think I've just been doing those subs so automatically and for so long that I forget to mention I do it.

Chinese black vinegar just tastes different than any other vinegar I've had, and it's that different taste that makes her peanut noodles special. If I couldn't get it, I would use a recipe that was not meant to have it to begin with rather than trying to monkey with her recipe. There certainly are enough out there. You can buy it from Amazon if you don't have any Chinese grocery stores locally, but it's one of those items that you have to buy along with other things. But that starts to get Spendy.

For cashew cream, I think I use 50/50 raw cashews and water blended up smooth in my blender. I'm really not too precise about that.

Also, I love her spicy chickpeas. Anything I've made from the first chapter that's just vegetables has been really good. Did I mention the samosas before? Because if not, those are awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:57 pm 

I'm bumping this thread. We went off topic last time, and I'd love to hear more recommendations along these lines, especially for ethnic cookbooks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:33 am 
Saggy Butt

I shared my favourite vegan and non-vegan cookbooks here with the recipes I have tried:
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/03 ... own-to-10/

The non-vegan cookbooks included 660 Curries, Love Soup, For The Love of Food and Rebar.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:15 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

"Smoothies and Juices" by Judith Millidge and "Party Nuts" by Sally Sampson are the non-vegan books I most enjoy.

I know what I would most like to veganize if I owned the books: "Vegetarian Tagines and Couscous" and "The Forest Feast".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:35 pm 

saveur wrote:
I shared my favourite vegan and non-vegan cookbooks here with the recipes I have tried:
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/03 ... own-to-10/

The non-vegan cookbooks included 660 Curries, Love Soup, For The Love of Food and Rebar.

Great list, Saveur. I've never heard of Tess Challis before but will have to look her up.

Minatomachi, thank you too! I started a discussion topic for Vegetarian Tagines and Couscous so if you've seen any recipes from it, please post about them there!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks! Tess basically turned me vegan without really knowing it. It was so easy once I had her cookbooks. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

---

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:32 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I've been wanting to get "The New Book of Middle Eastern Food" by Claudia Roden (originally published in 1972, most recent version 2000).

I love Middle Eastern food, and feel like this is one of the reference books for that type of cuisine. Plus, the cover is just so beautiful: http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Middle-E ... stern+Food. It would certainly be more of a challenge than a vegetarian book, but worth it I'm sure.

Have any of you ever veganized from it by chance?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:47 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Vij's and Vij's at Home! My mum and I have both veganized the hell out of those books, with delightful results. http://www.vijs.ca/vijs-cookbooks/

A hobby of mine is to check out gazillions of (mostly Vietnamese, Indian, Chinese, etc...) non-veg cookbooks and read them cover to cover thinking of ways I'd veganize the recipes but then having to return them before I get a chance. I also like to veganize Rick Bayless recipes, but mostly just sauces and salsas and stuff that are usually mostly vegan anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:49 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

saveur wrote:
Rebar.

The Rebar cookbook has a very special place in my heart! And is splattered with so much food.