| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegetables A-Z cookbook
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

New around here so maybe this has already been posted. If that's the case, apologies and can someone point me to those threads, please? (because I could not find them).

I'm looking for a good A-Z vegetables cookbook. Any ideas/suggestions?

I sometimes buy vegetables at the market and then I don't really know what to cook with them. Also, there are some vegetables that I seldom or never buy because I don't really know what to do with them (but they look really 'interesting' and I'd love to learn how/what to cook with them!). My solution so far has normally involved going through the index of the cookbooks I already own (or the Internet) trying to find recipes calling for those ingredients. This is fine, but I'm looking for something a bit more focused, that deals with each vegetable 'separately'. That's why I thought of getting one of these A-Z cookbooks giving ideas on how to cook (+prep/buy/etc.) each vegetable (either as the main or almost only ingredient).

I found on Amazon a bunch of books that fit this description. For example (not exhaustive list or particularly interested in these, and I'm sure there are plenty more):
  • "Vegetables, Revised: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking, with More than 300 Recipes", by James Peterson.
  • "Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce With More Than 350 Recipes" by Jack Bishop.
  • "The Vegetable Butcher: How to Select, Prep, Slice, Dice, and Masterfully Cook Vegetables from Artichokes to Zucchini" by Cara Mangini.
  • "Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook" by Joe Yonan.

Does anyone have any recommendation or piece of advise? Any good A-Z vegetables cookbook?

Post subject: Re: Vegetables A-Z cookbook
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:55 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Not vegan, not vegetarian, and not cheap (unless you buy used): Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini, by Elizabeth Schneider, is, I think, the definitive vegetable cookbook.

It has forking everything, with extensive discussions about each vegetable, what the pros do with it, and several recipes for each. Some recipes are accidentally vegan, and many are easily veganizable with obvious 1:1 substitutes of butter, milk, or broth; a few with eggs would be trickier. But you are going to see ingredients lists with the words "beef broth" in them, if that type of thing grosses you out.

Amazon doesn't have a preview, but Google books does, except for blocking the photos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:14 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I highly recommend the New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison or How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. They both have a huge encyclopedic section on vegetables. Vegetable Literacy by Deborah Madison is also a great pick. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:07 am 
Tofu Pup

There are e-cookbooks or buy some veggie recipe books.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:19 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

kidsdoc wrote:
I highly recommend the New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison or How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. They both have a huge encyclopedic section on vegetables. Vegetable Literacy by Deborah Madison is also a great pick. Good luck!

I was going to suggest the Madison and Bittman books. There's also Wild About Greens by Nava Atlas which is useful for seasonal vegetables since a lot of the year greens are all that's available.