| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cookbook Recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone,

I've visited this forum many times, but this is my first time posting. My husband and I are vegans, and for me, Isa's books have made all the difference. I am so thankful for her delicious, flavorful and filling recipes that leave me feeling so much healthier than when I was an omnivore.

I'm writing on this forum because I received many awesome things for my wedding just a few days ago, and among them, several copies of Isa books that I already own. I would like to exchange them for other vegan cookbooks, but I haven't had much luck finding good cookbooks that fit my needs. My hubby and I are both grad students who pre-cook all of our food over the weekend, so we're big fans of things that come in casseroles, huge pots, and woks which reheat well for the remainder of the week. We enjoy lots of spices (flavor, not heat) and pride ourselves on being pretty competent foodies. We're also broke, so really expensive or rare ingredients don't work for us. (The vast majority of ingredients in Isa books are fine for us.) The problem we're having is that many cookbooks seem awfully simple (e.g., combine tofu with peanut sauce and steamed broccoli!) and we're looking for something more refined.

Any help would be quite appreciated! Thanks all!

Post subject: Re: Cookbook Recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't have them for swapping, but cookbooks with more sophisticated recipes I can think of would be "Great Chefs Cook Vegan", "RawEssence", "The Blooming Platter Cookbook", "The New Vegan Cookbook", "Vegan Family Meals", "The Vegan Boulangerie", "Artisan Vegan Cheese" and "Lickin' the Beaters 2". I haven't tried them all, but those I haven't I had a good look at.

For casseroles and such, there is "One-Dish Vegan", and for spice that is flavorful rather than hot, "Vegan Fire & Spice", both by Robin Robertson, a cookbook author I appreciate.

Maybe it would help people to suggest swaps if you indicated the country you live in and the list of books you wish to swap. Also, there is a thread for cookbook swaps here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14202

Post subject: Re: Cookbook Recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:38 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I got Fusion Food in the Vegan Kitchen recently and I really like it. So far ingredients have been easy to come by, dishes have been easy, and they've made huge amounts of food.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD