| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cookbooks - Paper or eBooks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:27 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

As much as I love everything old school, especially my recipe box complete with old index cards, I don't have the room to buy a ton of cookbooks. I like having the book in hand but eBooks would be so much more convenient. I'm looking for people's opinions on what their favorite way to view/use recipes are....book, laptop, phone, ipad, kindle/nook, other?

Post subject: Re: Cookbooks - Paper or eBooks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:36 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Paper. I'm an insanely messy cook and I don't like having my electronic devices out in the kitchen because I don't want them covered in food. If I find a recipe online or something, I generally print it out on paper anyway.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:29 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Paper! If you're making a recipe that calls for other recipes in the book flipping back and forth using an ereader is a total pain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:49 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i've gotten the impression ebook versions of most cookbooks are very poorly done, lots of uncorrected errors, symbols where numbers should be, etc. that alone has put me off the whole idea.

even if they were perfect copies i'd still be hesitant to bring my ereader in the kitchen the way i do a cookbook. all my well used cookbooks are dirty.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Paper! If you're making a recipe that calls for other recipes in the book flipping back and forth using an ereader is a total pain.

This. The technology is there, but publishers are choosing to devote little time or money to producing quality ebooks, much less ebooks with things like linked indexes.

I've purchased several major NY Times bestselling releases for both Kindle and Nook and they read like uncorrected author proofs. It is really inexcusable and makes me very, very angry, especially when you can find paper copies cheaper.

If publishers were smart, they would have learned something from the music industry, but si ce they aren't very smart, they are choosing to kick and scream and throw tantrums and do the bare minimum they can get away with while still cashing in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:20 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Thanks, I didn't realize the quality of electronic cookbooks wasn't great. I have to decide whether flipping pages and poor spelling are worth the "price" of space in my less than 500 square foot apartment. :\

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:27 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
i've gotten the impression ebook versions of most cookbooks are very poorly done, lots of uncorrected errors, symbols where numbers should be, etc. that alone has put me off the whole idea.

even if they were perfect copies i'd still be hesitant to bring my ereader in the kitchen the way i do a cookbook. all my well used cookbooks are dirty.

even regular books! I find soooo many typos in popular novels. It's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got a couple of cookbooks on my Kindle, but have learned that I much prefer the paper kind. As others mentioned, it's annoying to flip through several pages to see the entire recipe, and there's the risk of liquid or food getting on the device. I make sure my Kindle is safely away from the prep/cooking area when using a recipe.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:43 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i have a lot of digital cookbooks (international moves tend to reduce the number of paper copies i keep) but I print recipes as needed and put them in a binder. I am too messy in the kitchen, and my kitchen tends to be wicked humid/steamy, not ideal for electronics.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Paper books for sure. Most of my books have stuff spilled on them or crumbs between pages, so I would surely ruin anything more technologically advanced. I do read stuff off my laptop or iPod touch occasionally, but I prefer to print out recipes that I use a lot. I keep them in a cute little recipe box.

Besides, I kind of like having all my books lined up along the kitchen counter/breakfast bar thing. They're all colourful and it's a nice decorative touch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:43 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just bought Vegan Diner Kindle version to see what it would be like, and though I made two recipes from it today, I found that the layout was nowhere near as intelligent as on paper. Also, there are many small translation errors from the print version to the e-version. In one case, it looks like 14-oz tofu was rendered as 1/4 tofu, which is weird.

That said, the kindle version is a bit cheaper ($8.99) than the paper version and it is usable, at least as usable as blog or vegweb formatted recipes. I loved being able to look up a term and find it in numerous places. Also, the table of contents is clickable. And I do like that it doesn't take up an physical space. And you can annotate it similar to a paper cookbook.

I think I'm happy enough with the kindle version of this book that I won't go buying the paper version. I will think twice before buying another e-cookbook.

I'm getting used to using my iPad in the kitchen (i load up an episode of This American Life, and am a happy, happy cook), so that's not an issue for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love the paper version. There's just something about flipping though the TOC and index and pretty pictures. Some day I might make the conversion, but we'll see.

Also, if it helps... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6161&hilit=cooking+from+kindle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:33 am 
Huffs Nooch

I do everything digital now and actively dislike reading an actual paper book (rather than an ebook)... and I still buy paper copy cookbooks.

The digital versions tend to be poorly done and heaven help you if one of the recipes calls for a sauce that is explained elsewhere in the book. I'm also paranoid about things getting on my Kindle screen.

I do have some of my fab recipes typed up and chilling in a dropbox directory though and at times I will set the iPad up in the kitchen and use that digital recipe - but even then it is a pain to make sure nothing gets on the screen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Cookbooks have been hit or miss on my iPad, seriously lacking in formatting and editing at times. So sometimes a recipe that fits on one single page of a paper cookbook takes up 1.5 pages on the ipad, just less convenient. I wonder if the authors have any say at all in this.

However, if you really still want to do this route, I truly encourage it! A friend of mine in Montreal has done this for a year now. The best recommendation is to buy an under cabinet mount. Here is a good example of one- http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2345 ... TY3ODQ5OTY . It will keep things convenient and tidy!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really love having access to my cookbooks when I'm out somewhere - I just made my grocery list for the week sitting in my office, for example. But I agree that they're difficult to actually cook from. Sometimes I will actually just write out the recipe on a piece of paper.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Paper! Paper all the way! It's not real unless it's on paper. It's like downloaded music - just not the same.

Maybe you could stack up all of your cookbooks against a wall into a shape like a wall, and then.. use the structure to.. put things on? OK. No ideas, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I too am a messy cook, and my kitchen is basically a disaster area most of the time. My kindle would get ruined in there. As it is, I try to be careful with my paper cookbooks, but...

I also agree with the folks who find so many editing errors in e-books. This annoys me to no end. It is as if they took the book and published it with no oversight at all. I am sick of spelling errors, usage errors, etc. It is very unprofessional, and makes me think twice about spending my hard-earned money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

I love eBooks in most cases, but I go old-school with cookbooks. I might feel differently when a bunch more books are available in smart, beautiful electronic formats, like for Kindle -- some magazines do a great jobs with their apps and I can see that approach working for cookbooks. But right now, it's just not anywhere near as good on my Kobo. And no colourful photos!