| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Peas and Thank You
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:15 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Efcliz wrote:
I'm honestly not trying to start a row here because I really do think there's enough room in the market for all kinds of vegan books, but I don't know any omnis who wouldn't think she was as annoying as hell (based on her blog because I haven't seen the book). I wonder if there's some difference between people with children and those without here. I have a whole load of books for fast storecupboard meals which just do what they say without slagging off their husband or their cat or making me cringe. But I don't have kids and don't know many people who do. Maybe I should get a copy for my (omni) sister and her family and if they cook anything from it I'll admit I don't know what's going on.
I do have kids, and I feel exactly the same way. Her recipes might be good, but I can't get past the fact that she calls them (gag) "recipeas." I mean, seriously? More off-putting, though (at least to my mind) is the cutesy-wutesy, white bread, self-congratulatory, OMG-I'm-just-a-suburban-mom-obsessed-with-bronzer-and-straightening-my-hair-and-buying-Gymboree-outfits-for-my-adorable-daughters tone. She strikes me as the veg*n version of http://twitter.com/#!/peanutfreemom, only she's (apparently) not a parody. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:35 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yeah I don't have kids and don't ever want them. Nor do i have friends with kids. I just enjoy a good pun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:00 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Fee wrote:
Yeah I don't have kids and don't ever want them.
They're actually pretty delicious, if somewhat an acquired taste. Just try a tiny bite some time; it might turn out to be your very favorite food!
Fee wrote:
I just enjoy a good pun.
So do I. That's part of my point!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:06 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I actually don't like the insertion of the word 'peas' into everything, but I like her overall schtick.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:21 am 
Nailed to the V

ndpittman wrote:
I actually don't like the insertion of the word 'peas' into everything, but I like her overall schtick.

So what you've all bean saying is that it peases you off. In peaticular I feel like putting a bullet in my peatuiary gland. Even so I don't mind a peppering of food puns.

------------------------------
OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:35 am 
Flounceiad 2011

dandirtyapes wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

So what you've all bean saying is that it peases you off. In peaticular I feel like putting a bullet in my peatuiary gland. Even so I don't mind a peppering of food puns.
This almost made me pea myself.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:36 am 

Aw jeez, guys.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:37 am 
Nailed to the V

Desdemona wrote:

You spelled 'pee' wrong.

OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:45 am 
Flounceiad 2011

dandirtyapes wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

You spelled 'pee' wrong.
I was only pulling your legume; peas stop trying to squash my enthusiasm!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:46 am 
Nailed to the V

Hopefully I didn't insalt your sense of propieetry.

OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:49 am 
Nailed to the V

I will be honest. I was bean minceincere. You can quiche my asparagus.

(Sorry. I can't help myself.)

OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I read this, then I read her blog and now I feel like we're all jerks (I know everyone is just kidding around). Her dad is having major heart surgery today. I just hope she doesn't kfisher this while she's already so sad and worried.

For the record, I think she's purposefully going for the over-the-top cutesy with the "pea" and alot of her jokes. Why not? It seems like she's just being herself and it's working for her. Of course it won't be for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:40 am 
Nailed to the V

Kelly wrote:
I read this, then I read her blog and now I feel like we're all jerks (I know everyone is just kidding around). Her dad is having major heart surgery today. I just hope she doesn't kfisher this while she's already so sad and worried.

For the record, I think she's purposefully going for the over-the-top cutesy with the "pea" and alot of her jokes. Why not? It seems like she's just being herself and it's working for her. Of course it won't be for everyone.

fixed.

OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:58 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Kelly wrote:
It seems like she's just being herself and it's working for her. Of course it won't be for everyone.

This. I haven't seen her book and I don't read her blog much, but I love it when cookbook authors let their personality shine through, no matter what it is. Like when Isa talks about making dildoes in VWaV. Or maybe that's just because I love dildoes.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:38 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Kelly wrote:
I certainly don't wish her - or anyone - any harm, and I hope her father makes a full recovery.
Kelly wrote:
Agreed; de gustibus non est disputandum (especially in gustatory matters)!
mrsbadmouth wrote:
...when Isa talks about making dildoes in VWaV. Or maybe that's just because I love dildoes.
Now that's what I'm talking about!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:53 am 
Nailed to the V

I feel I should apierogise.

OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:53 am 
Nailed to the V

I feel I should apierogise.

OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:57 am 

I just read her post about her dad, and it made me a little teary-eyed. I think because I'm a daddy's girl, and if it were me, I'd be shit-wrecked.

I just think she's good people. She's raised a lot of money for charity with her peanut butter dough balls, and she has some really tasty recipes.

Agreed that her style is not for everyone though, and I'm not trying to convince or cajole anyone into liking her or anything, so I hope I'm not getting on anyone's nerves!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:21 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I know this is a message board, but if someone is a decent person, and a vegan, can we not totally tear them apart here? Treat them the same way you would if they were another PPKer. I mean, she's not stealing recipes or forking anyone over. Maybe she's not your cup of tea, but if that's the case, just move on, or post on your own Facebooks or blogs or whatever. Things in this thread go beyond a review of a cookbook and enter into personal attack territory.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

IsaChandra wrote:
I know this is a message board, but if someone is a decent person, and a vegan, can we not totally tear them apart here? Treat them the same way you would if they were another PPKer. I mean, she's not stealing recipes or forking anyone over. Maybe she's not your cup of tea, but if that's the case, just move on, or post on your own Facebooks or blogs or whatever. Things in this thread go beyond a review of a cookbook and enter into personal attack territory.

Well said Isa. This thread was getting a little bisque-y..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:24 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Fee wrote:
You guys are making me feel like a total cornball for finding this lady hilarious.

I do too!

greenknittinggal wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

Well said Isa. This thread was getting a little bisque-y..

Agreed! I find her hysterical and I love her blog and her book and her and her kids and if I didn't I would just stay out of this thread. Stop being mean.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kelly wrote:
It seems like she's just being herself and it's working for her. Of course it won't be for everyone.

Well said. Her style might not be for me, but then again I'm sure my sense of humour isn't for everyone either. As far as I'm concerned, if her family-focus and writing style appeal to others and help show them that cooking vegan for a young family isn't hard or scary, then that can only be a good thing.

I haven't actually seen the book or tried any of her recipes, but I saw one for cheesecake muffins or something on her blog a while ago that looked super delicious (clearly I am not part of the health-conscious demographic).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

189 libraries in the world have copies so you might be able to test drive it at your local library. It's nice that more libraries are getting vegan cookbooks as soon as they are available.

(Please note that the Veggie Tales board book with the same title will not help you cook a darn thing.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:03 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I want to hug her because she's so nice and I like all the pictures of her kids because they really are adorable. I have no comment on the recipes because I haven't made any yet because I haven't gotten past the pictures yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:14 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

i just got sarah's book this past weekend, and while i'm not particularly drawn to any of the recipes (yet--have only done one casual flip-through), it reminds me a lot of the gluten free girl cookbook: it's really half-memoir-half-cookbook. since i tend to read cookbooks more than i cook from them, i enjoyed my perusal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next