| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non*Fish*A*Li*Cious - Lisette Kreischer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:48 pm 
Nooch of Earl

While I'm at it creating threads for books I just ordered....

Anyone have this one? I don't super love fish but I couldn't resist it, and eg the Thai recipes sounded really interesting to me.

Post subject: Re: Non*Fish*A*Li*Cious - Lisette Kreischer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:24 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have the book, but never made anything till now.
There are really good recipes in it, that's for sure, but not a 'wow'-book for me...

http://www.facebook.com/fiekesgebakjes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So I got most of my bol.com order yesterday. Yaaay!! I haven't made anything from this one yet but I have to say I'm really impressed by it. Most of the 'fish flavor' comes from seaweed, which is pretty obvious, but I'm relieved that only a couple of recipes seem to call for specific brand name products (that can be hard to find in a different country).

It's a really clever collection of recipes, with lots of stuff that sounds good even to non-fish-loving me, and since the flavor comes from seaweed it's easy to just add less of it (or rinse it a bunch of times). There's some out-there stuff to be sure, like fish-flavored desserts (channeling Iron Chef, perhaps!), and it's just a really promising looking, clever cookbook that doesn't resemble anything else I own (though of course individual recipes, like crab cakes and tuna salad, have been veganized). Some of the more interesting stuff is deep fried, and I usually consider deep frying too much of a pain in the asparagus, but for unfish and chips? Might have to make an exception.

I love that there's a section with staples like oyster sauce, fish sauce, and tartar sauce. To be fair, my version of tartar sauce is usually just "chop up a pickle and add it to some vegenaise," but maybe someday I'll be ambitious! And I buy vegetarian oyster sauce but it goes through periods of unavailability, and I've never gotten my hands on the magical commercial vegan fish sauce I hear whispered about in rumors.

Anyway I don't know if I have the ingredients to make anything right now, since I don't buy a lot of seaweed, but I'm super excited to try. I know seaweed is very healthy so I want to eat more of it, but it's hard to find recipes where I actually like it. I'm hoping there are at least a few keepers in this book!!

There are also lots of photos, and an intro to different kinds of seaweed that I blew past.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm making the fish packets for dinner. So excited! Instead of seitan, though, I decided to use tofu, since I obviously can't get the seitan steaks it calls for here.. And the seitan we have (homemade or store bought) does not have a very fish-like texture. I have heard, however, that the best thing to replicate the texture of cooked fish is silken tofu that's been frozen. So I have planks of Mori-nu freezing, and I'm thinking I might do a quick marinade and defrost later...

I really want to serve it with couscous, but I don't have any. :/ Debating going out vs. using quinoa instead...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:39 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I saw this in Scheltema yesterday and did a quick flip through it. I'm not sure why, but I'm less interested in replicating fish recipes than other types of meat, which is weird since I actually miss the taste/texture of fish sometimes. (Hmmm, maybe that's why.... I know other meat analogues won't disappoint me because I really don't miss the taste of meat and just like tofu/tempeh/seitan for what they are.) I was actually hoping to have a browse through the Vegetarische Slager Cookbook after you posted about that, but they didn't have it. (I ended up buying a non-coookbook book with my boekenbon.)

I'll be curious what you think after making some of the recipes!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:08 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Scheltema! *jealous pout* Have you been to the Kookboekwinkel on the Haarlemmerdijk? I'm sure they'd have it.

So the fish packets are a great idea in principle, and all the stuff in them is good, but I think the recipe needs a little tweaking. I mean, we both enjoyed it, but...

I served it over plain unseasoned brown rice (it was from frozen, thus unseasoned) and that might've been part of the problem. I think next time I'll make a pilaf or something with some flavor to it, or some roasted potatoes ideally.

I think it needs a little more cooking time. Yesterday I went above the stated time and today I upped the temperature with the remaining packets, and I thought the broc in particular was not totally done. Alton Brown has a similar recipe but microwaves it - that might work better than the oven, though obviously alumin[i]um foil isn't going to work. I wrapped them in parchment and then the AF, so that might be part of the problem. But I upped the time/temp enough that it seems like it should've compensated. Who knows.

The seasoning was tough because I don't know how much viskruiden is in a packet. I went with 1/2 t per packet the first day and 1.5 t the next day - it still felt underseasoned but over viskruided, if that makes any sense at all. I think in the future I might go with one of the more general purpose penzey's seasonings, like Sunny Parisian (shallots, thyme, onion, garlic) instead. I thought the layering order should maybe be changed a little - next time I'd put the lemon slices on last and squeeze them a bit. Otherwise you end up seasoning the lemons, not the tofu.

And we both agreed that the tofu was really good but in the future we would ADD MORE TOFU! That was really the biggest thing. I split one mori nu pack (12oz, or, um...325 g or so off the top of my head?) and it was not enough. But I definitely liked using tofu in it.

Anyway it has the potential to be a nice easy go to prep-ahead meal, and for that I loved it, but the seasoning definitely needs some fine-tuning. I don't super love that the author seems to use so many other people's recipes without adjusting them. Here's that AB one. I think it'd probably work just as well with tofu in place of fish: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

I wanted to make the fish sauce but the amount of nori is DEFINITELY off. 200g of nori is about 10 packages of it, that's like $80 worth here!!! I think I'll try, like, 20g instead.

I also got the ingredients for Sarah Kramer's tuna salad. I haven't checked yet but it might just be a reprint of one from her three books that I have. The book has a few recipes for tuna salad, though...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

There is a much cheaper way to buy nori than the sheets, if you are near an asian grocery. Look for a sort of loose disk of seaweed- it might just be called 'dried seaweed' , but somewhere on the pack it will say 'laver' or 'porphyra' (one letter different to the disease). It is the same thing as the nori, just not processed in to sheets, and is what i always use when i don't need it in sheet form, as it is so much cheaper. I think it's $1.50 (austalian) for 50 grams, while nori sheets are $3 - $4 for 20g.
I always toast it in a dry pan till it gets really crisp before i use it.

annak wrote:
I have heard, however, that the best thing to replicate the texture of cooked fish is silken tofu that's been frozen.

Yes, i think this is a much better idea than seitan! Also the beancurd sheets, shredded up like in this recipe http://spiceislandvegan.blogspot.com.au/2008/08/how-to-make-vegan-fish-or-mock-fish.html?m=1, which i highly recommend. I made it the other day, with some modifications - i didn't have enough beancurd skin, so i made up for it with frozen tofu. And i added extra seaweed to the filling, because i love love love the flavour of seaweed.

I had some vegan fish at a restaurant a few weeks ago, and it was a bit of a revelation for me, as it's such a great way for me to get to eat lots more delicious seaweed, and in a broader range of contexts. By which i mean in dishes and cuisines that don't normally include seaweed.

BTW, it was the 'fish' at the vegetarian restaurant that most impressed the omnis i was with (we also had soy lamb, duck, chicken and beef - all delicious!). I 'm sure that it was made a similar way to that spice island vegan recipe.

I'd love to get this book, but probably won't get it as it doesn't seem to be in english (at least yet) and i'm poor, lacking in space and hardly ever get to buy cookbooks. But if there were an english ebook version i'd be really tempted.