| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryanna Clark Grogan's new book - World Vegan Feast
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Man, I have been looking around for a new vegan cookbook to buy and you guys completely sold me on this one. This thread is great. Heading to Amazon now!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:57 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My honey got me this book for Valentine's. Wasn't that sweet? So far, I've made the Ugandan Stew. It was super delish and very, very easy with using mostly pantry staples. The book does look great! Hard to know what to make next because everything looks good. It may be up there amongst one of my favorite cookbooks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have this cookbook now and I am super impressed. I've made the General Tso's Soy Curls and the Sweet Potato/Polenta Gratin so far and both have been great. Mostly, though, I just can't believe how every recipe seems so interesting and innovative. I have a couple more things on the schedule for this week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Oi, you guys. I am really trying to not buy any new cokbooks because I have so many already and no time to cook from them enough, but this thread is making it reaaaaaly hard for me not to add it to my amazon shopping cart. I love her Chinese cookbook already and think shes has lots of good ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:49 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Millenijen wrote:
My honey got me this book for Valentine's. Wasn't that sweet? So far, I've made the Ugandan Stew. It was super delish and very, very easy with using mostly pantry staples. The book does look great! Hard to know what to make next because everything looks good. It may be up there amongst one of my favorite cookbooks.

I loved that one, too. I actually haven't made much from the book yet, but I have many recipes bookmarked for later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm going to attempt the Lemon Tiramisu for a wedding shower this weekend. In fact, I need to start making the components tonight. Has anyone tried either of the tiramisus? Or the almond whipped topping? I really hope it works out...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:30 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

kasiakoz wrote:
I'm going to attempt the Lemon Tiramisu for a wedding shower this weekend. In fact, I need to start making the components tonight. Has anyone tried either of the tiramisus? Or the almond whipped topping? I really hope it works out...

I haven't yet read this book, but I have tried the tiramisu in her Italian cookbook and it is very good. A lemon tiramisu sounds divine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I started making the almond whipped topping, overloaded my blender and it exploded in the kitchen.. I took some out, and then tried again, but still, I obviously hadn't taken enough out - and it exploded again. I haven't been game to try the almond whipped topping again yet..

Oddly, there's a russian chocolate torte (or is it german) in the book that has an icing with a very strange technique I've never tried before - soy milk, agar & flour, heated in the microwave and made into a paste.. then you cream a little fat, sugar, vanilla, etc separately, then beat them together. Expected it to be awful - it was actually LOVELY!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My library has yet to get this book in. Hmpf.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Bobotie last night and it is GOOD. It's an African "meat" (tofu, mostly) loaf that sounds really strange but it was good enough that I'd serve it to omnis. I made the suggested african yellow rice to go along with and it was perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:48 am 
Nailed to the V

I was looking for a great international cookbook, so I just purchased this. [and like 4 others - American Vegan Dinners, and all 3 of Dreena Burton's Cookbooks]
when people order from the bookdepository internationally, do you get charged duty or anything?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ordered on Amazon!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:56 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Would people recommend this over Madhur Jaffery's World Vegetarian? I'm not sure which one to get.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have both and I would probably go with World Vegan Feast. World Vegetarian has a lot of dairy and eggs in it, for one thing, and it's also heavily weighted toward Indian food (which makes sense, given that she's Indian). I also find a lot of her recipes underseasoned - I always end up adding things. It's a great basic book, but I think WVF is more original and interesting.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, I almost forgot, I made my first recipe from this! I made the General Tso's using pan-fried tofu a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious. The sauce was nicely balanced. I doubled it and served the extra with steamed raab and brown rice.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kittykins wrote:
Would people recommend this over Madhur Jaffery's World Vegetarian? I'm not sure which one to get.

I haven't used either a whole lot, but yes, I would. I find World Vegan Feast more exciting, like I flick through it and mark a bunch of things to make, whereas I don't really get that from World Vegetarian. I need to make more from this.... spätzle this weekend, maybe?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Kittykins wrote:

I only have one of them, but they sound a bit different in scope. World Vegetarian is useful when you need to use up ingredients or didn't really plan ahead, since a lot of the recipes have one main component and a bunch of cupboard staples (I made an entire dinner out of pantry stuff last night). I just ignore the egg chapter and the dairy is easily replaced. I had a slight obsession with Indian food when I taught myself to cook though, so you might not want to listen to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:05 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I just won this book from a giveaway hosted on the publisher's site, and I am super excited. I too am a die hard fangirl of Bryanna. Her recipes are always so innovative and awesome, and she is just the sweetest person in real life, too. I'm sorta ashamed I didn't lay down and purchase this from her directly at Vida Vegan last summer, but it's hard to justify spending $$ on more cookbooks, when I don't use the ones I have very often.

I can't decide what to make first, but I am just wowed at all the xgfx and xgfx option recipes. The Vietnamese Fisherman's soup is calling me tho, 'cuz that's something I never see vegan in restaurants out here, and I love it so.

I tried to read through it all yesterday, but it is just packed full of so much stuff, and I didn't want to skim, so I'll finish reading it today.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:21 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've been making the Peruvian Rice and Coriander soup almost weekly this summer. It just reminds me so much of delicious soups that I miss from latin american restaurants or at home/friend's that I can't have anymore because they usually use chicken. Our family loves it. We use soy curls which I just find so convenient to use (no marinating or prepping required).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:06 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Can someone help. I am having a blog emergency. I left my copy of WVF at work. I am wanted to make the Bok choy with shitakes tonight. Can anyone message me the recipe? Pretty please?

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hi Veg-In-Training - sorry, my copy is at home!

The Nanaimo bars are a little bit involved - but SO, SO worth it. Incredibly delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:25 am 
Saggy Butt

Veg-in-Training wrote:
Can someone help. I am having a blog emergency. I left my copy of WVF at work. I am wanted to make the Bok choy with shitakes tonight. Can anyone message me the recipe? Pretty please?

Sent! Hope it's not too late.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:38 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I made the General Tso's Stir Fry with soy curls reconstituted in vegetarian chicken-style broth. My family (not vegetarians) devoured it and said it was really delicious and tasted just like chicken. I haven't tried many of Bryanna's faux meat dishes- but the ones I have (the Chinese style beefy seitan atop fried rice and this one) were really really good!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm using this book as my free choice for the first week of the cookbook challenge! I'm making the Egyptian-style Beans, Baked Lebanese Potato Kibbeh with Lentil Stuffing, and Sweet Potato Chowder. I've shied away from this book in the past because the ingredients lists tend to be super long and the work needed for each thing to be a bit much, but I've got lots of free time these days, so whatever. I'm also trying to cook for my terrified of most vegan food omni manfriend, so that's a bit of a challenge. Hoping we'll both like these dishes!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:22 am 
Saggy Butt

daisysunshine wrote:
I was looking for a great international cookbook, so I just purchased this. [and like 4 others - American Vegan Dinners, and all 3 of Dreena Burton's Cookbooks]
when people order from the bookdepository internationally, do you get charged duty or anything?

I haven't been charged duty but most of my purchases have been smaller, usually 1 book at a time. Maybe there is a threshold before duties are imposed?

{sorry, just realized this was an old comment]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next