| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bryanna Clark Grogan's new book - World Vegan Feast
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:47 am 
WELFARIST!

The instructions in this book are so wonky. Whoever edited it did a bad job. Luckily, I know my way around the kitchen and generally how things should be done, but if I was new to cooking, I would totally mess up a lot of things. Anyway, the Lebanese Kibbeh recipe is pretty good, although kind of overly complicated. I needed more salt and more...flavor? I dunno. Next time I would add more fresh herbs. The tahini sauce that goes with it is really great though, I like the method of adding silken tofu to bulk it up without adding more fat (ie, more tahini). I reduced the garlic to 2 cloves and it was still a little too garlicky, though. Raw garlic is so pungent!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:35 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

allularpunk wrote:
Anyway, the Lebanese Kibbeh recipe is pretty good, although kind of overly complicated. I needed more salt and more...flavor? I dunno.

I don't own World Vegan Feast, but, if I have one complaint about other cookbooks Bryanna Clark Grogan has written that I have owned, it is that I think her recipes often seem more complicated than they need to be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:48 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

weaver wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Anyway, the Lebanese Kibbeh recipe is pretty good, although kind of overly complicated. I needed more salt and more...flavor? I dunno.

I don't own World Vegan Feast, but, if I have one complaint about other cookbooks Bryanna Clark Grogan has written that I have owned, it is that I think her recipes often seem more complicated than they need to be.

Maybe that's been my problem with this book. I got it a few months ago, and was so excited for it. Then, when I actually started flipping through it to make stuff, I got discouraged or something and put it back on the shelf. I still haven't made anything out of it. Maybe it's all the steps involved with the recipes?

I should take another look though. This Lebanese Kibbeh is intriguing me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:53 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, that's the reason I chose this book as my first for the cookbook challenge. It really is a challenge, haha. Any recipe that has, like, 15 ingredients and 8 steps to get 'em all together is a little exhausting to me. I don't mind them on, say, a Sunday afternoon, but on a Monday night it's a little more than I can take. I will say, however, that the smokey baked tofu is really wonderful and simple. Just soy sauce, water, and liquid smoke. I don't marinate as long as she says to (I don't think she says to press it, but I do, and that makes me not have to marinate as long), but other than that I follow the recipe to a T. It's so good in a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and a little vegan mayo (I made the one from the book that uses...agar? It's ok as a spread, but I wouldn't use it in a pasta salad or anything where the mayo flavor needs to shine).

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:20 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The dish I've made repeatedly from this book is the lentil sausage stew, not sure I know the real name. It has some kind of green in it I can't get, so I've used kale with great success, and used both home made and store bought sausage. It's really rib sticking and super comforting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I keep meaning to make the german potato salad.

I really wanted this book when it came out, but I don't think I've made anything from it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

weaver wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Same here!

I make something from this book once in a while, but I totally agree. I find this book and her blog just kind of cluttered and unnecessarily difficult to follow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I agree that I sometimes find Bryanna's recipes hard to follow, but if you have the time, it makes them way more awesome. Because she's an absolute expert, and quite food-sciencey, you understand truly *how* you're supposed to be doing things, and *why*. Plus the "variations" are often almost full recipes in themselves. Just a bit of summarising can really dumb them down and make them awesome but easy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:30 am 
WELFARIST!

I find them hard to follow in this particular book because the wording makes no sense, not because they're science-y. I don't have it in front of me, but I remember one phrase because I read it 10 times before figuring out what to do...it was after you cooked some lentils for a stuffing and said something like, 'sauté the onion in 1/2 Tbsp of oil [side note, no one has a half tablespoon measure, also, one measurement was 5/8 tsp...like...wha?], then add the garlic to the lentils and cook another 5 minutes, until onion is wilted. Add onion, garlic, herbs, and spices to the mixture and stir to combine.' It should have said to add the garlic to the onion, not the lentils, and then add the spices/herbs to the pan and then transfer that mixture to the lentils. It was just worded very badly, and at the end of a long day, it made my head spin a bit.

Anyway, whatever. I'm making the sweet potato bisque tonight. We shall see how it goes!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:21 pm 
Naked Under Apron

haha allularpunk, I agree with many of your points about this recipe but I have to say - I have 2 half-tablespoon measuring spoons and I use em all the time!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:13 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

The vegan gruyere recipe alone made the purchase of this book worthwhile. Haven't tried a lot of other things but that one is amazing. Sweet potato bisque sounds good - I'll be interested to hear how that turns out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 am 
WELFARIST!

Audrey wrote:
haha allularpunk, I agree with many of your points about this recipe but I have to say - I have 2 half-tablespoon measuring spoons and I use em all the time!

I wish I did have one! I also apparently need to get an 1/8 tsp measure. Though I just did a heaping half teaspoon for the 5/8 tsp.

zinnia wrote:
The vegan gruyere recipe alone made the purchase of this book worthwhile. Haven't tried a lot of other things but that one is amazing. Sweet potato bisque sounds good - I'll be interested to hear how that turns out.

I'll have to try the gruyere! I was wrong, it was Peruvian Inspired Sweet Potato Chowder, and it was really good! The omni manfriend gobbled it up, despite it having blended tofu in it. Turns out, he just doesn't like chunks of tofu, because of the texture. We're making great strides here! He ate two bowls, first time I've ever seen him get seconds of anything. I feel like I'm repeating myself because of also reviewing this recipe in the cookbook challenge thread, but I realize that not everyone is doing the challenge, so repeat myself I shall.

So! Aside from the flavor being awesome and omni-friendly, the recipe was, again, stupid. I hate it when recipes call for things that are already cooked, and this one called for cooked brown rice, sweet potatoes, and yukon gold potatoes. Uh, brown rice takes like one and a half hours in my rice cooker! But, knowing those things once again helped me. I put the brown rice on as soon as I got home and immediately cooked the yukon golds. I found no reason that the sweet potatoes couldn't be cooked in the broth instead of separately, so I did that. Also, the directions called for bell pepper to be added, but no bell pepper was listed in the ingredients. I assume it meant the black pepper, so I added that instead. Editing fail! Other than that, my only complaint (ha, I seem to have a lot, I just don't cook in this style, I guess) is that it dirtied SO MANY DISHES. I washed enough to fill up my dish drying space and still had half a sink full that I have to finish later. Sheesh. Good thing this soup was so tasty.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I love the flavor of all her recipes, but I find her "Twenty Minutes to Dinner" book recipes can mean up to 2 hours for me! And it is because she has so many ingredients and complicated steps. I bought World Vegan Feast but haven't made anything from it yet, which I guess I can say for about a 1/2 dozen other cookbooks too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Audrey wrote:

I have it, too, but I just weigh 7 grams of oil.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 am 

Looking through the book again, I realized I had made a couple things out of it after all! The Suisse Melty Cheese is really good; I've actually made that twice now, and both times it's been tasty and simple. I also made the Easy Artisan Bread (or something like that). Again, just like the title states, it's very easy and the bread itself is a great basic bread that can be served alongside just about any main dish. I'm taking another spin through the book now; I think I'll make General Tso's tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I was so happy to hear about this book when it first came out because, as the satisfied owner of all her other cookbooks, I had been hoping she would write another one. I haven't yet bought it, however, because it seems most of the recipes I read about that I would actually want to make are already in one of her other books or on her blog. I might be mistaken, but many of them sound familiar.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Made the Egyptian Style Beans last night and they were rather bland. I added extra cumin, coriander, and salt and mixed in the garnishes of cilantro, green onions, and lemon juice. That made it better, but it's by no means outstanding. At least the directions were straight forward this time!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:45 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I don't use this book all that often because like others have said the instructions/ingredient lists often make the recipes seem time consuming/complicated, everything I have made has been good though.

Today I made the Cauliflower Dal soup which I quite enjoyed. The only change I made was to cook the onion/spices in the pan before adding in the stock etc rather than cooking it in a different pan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:33 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Allularpunk - I have both half a tablespoon and 1/8th measuring spoons, I think they're relatively common. Surely you can easily figure that out with the spoons you have.

I think Bryanna likes things to be precise, so I don't always follow her "best case scenario" instructions and measurements. But, we can always adjust. Lots of other cookbooks use lots of dishes, pots, pans, etc (hello, Veganomicon), and lots of people do have extra brown rice/potatoes etc in the fridge. Obviously the instructions and recipes don't suit you & your style of cooking - but I do take offence at you calling her recipes/instructions/ingredients "stupid", which I think is rather rude and unfair.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:25 am 

I made the General Tso's, but I used her method for oven-fried tofu in the beginning of the book and used it in place of seitan. I doubled the sauce, but in the future I might triple it, because I like it saucy. It was really good though! Totally worth the extra steps of marinating, breading, and roasting the tofu. The sauce itself was super simple and yum. I think I want to try the Sponge Cake next.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 am 
WELFARIST!

mattomic wrote:
Allularpunk - I have both half a tablespoon and 1/8th measuring spoons, I think they're relatively common. Surely you can easily figure that out with the spoons you have.

I think Bryanna likes things to be precise, so I don't always follow her "best case scenario" instructions and measurements. But, we can always adjust. Lots of other cookbooks use lots of dishes, pots, pans, etc (hello, Veganomicon), and lots of people do have extra brown rice/potatoes etc in the fridge. Obviously the instructions and recipes don't suit you & your style of cooking - but I do take offence at you calling her recipes/instructions/ingredients "stupid", which I think is rather rude and unfair.

I apologize for offending you. Yes, I can figure it out, and have in the past. Stupid was too harsh a word, her cooking style just doesn't match mine.

ETA: Although I still feel like it was badly edited, as there are quite a few mistakes in the directions.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

I bought this before, but returned it, but I felt in a splurge mood and so i bought 3 of Bryanna's books [the italian, the chinese and this one again], creep told me how to tackle it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

daisysunshine wrote:
I bought this before, but returned it, but I felt in a splurge mood and so i bought 3 of Bryanna's books [the italian, the chinese and this one again], creep told me how to tackle it. :)

Good luck! Try the eggplant sandwich with the pesto mayo. It's one of the easier recipes. We made it over and over before trying anything else in the book.

Also, I've used this book a bit more since the thread was active, and I find that skimming the directions and doing things in the way that make more sense to you makes it so much easier to use. Her directions can often be kind of strange for something that's really super simple.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We made the shwarma last night. Really quick and easy if you already have seitan made, aside from marinating time.