| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for Indian , Korean and Ethiopian cookbooks.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm wanting to buy some new cookbooks and looking at the reviews on Amazon isn't that helpful.
I have and LOVE Asian Vegan Kitchen (I cook from it at least 2 times a week) and wanna get books that will have the same level of quality and authenticity. Hard to find ingredients are fine as I like in a big city with lots of ethnic markets.

I'd also like to get a really good Ethiopian cookbook (or cookbook with a somewhat advanced Ethiopian section) , again the more authentic the better. I spent my late teens as a cook at an Ethiopian resto and have some basis in the cooking but where I worked only had 12 vegan options and I'd like to branch out beyond Messir Wat and Inguday Tibs.

Does anyone have The Indian Vegan Kitchen? If so how is it?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Looking for Indian , Korean and Ethiopian cookbooks.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:49 pm 
Inflexitarian

You might like Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Kittee's zine Papa Tofu has a bunch of Ethiopian recipes, there are also some on her website.

I've made a few things out of Madhu Gadia's Indian Vegan Kitchen. I added more spices, but they turned out pretty well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:26 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Years ago I picked up Melody of India Cuisine. Traditional Indian dishes using soy products instead of dairy. It's OOP, but you can pick up used and new copies pretty cheaply on Amazon here. Don't be scared off by the reviews on Amazon. It's a decent starting point but not really intended as a comprehensive overview of Indian cuisine. A review in the Feb 93 VT: http://books.google.com/books?id=hAgAAA ... ng&f=false

Korean and Ethiopian I'm looking for too. :)

The article "A Cuisine in Exile" Apr 91 VT won't really expand your repertoire any, but the injera is actually fermented rather than using seltzer water or chemical leavens to get the desired sponginess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:46 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have Indian Vegan Kitchen and I've really enjoyed everything I've cooked out of it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:54 am 
Tofu Pup

I really love Indian food and am very happy with 'Spicy Vegan' by Sudha Raina. I've been to India 2 years ago for a month and have eaten both with families and in a lot of restaurants from the north to the south. In my opinion the recipes in the book are very close to the 'real' stuff i've had there. And then, what's 'real' indian food? there are so many different family recipes out there, but the basics are very awesome in this book!

I'm also love the recipes in 'The Hare Krishna Book of Vegetarian Cooking' by adiraja dasa. I bought it in a second hand shop (in the Netherlands) but i'm sure you can get a 2nd hand copy somewhere online as well. I don't think they print them anymore but maybe i'm wrong. The recipes are traditional and although not completely vegan, it's often easy to veganize the recipies. They use some Paneer which might be difficult to replace, but apart from that all you will need is some oil to replace the ghee (i often use coconut oil depending on the recipe) and some vegan cream. The desserts are of course more difficult to make into a vegan dish, but the book is absolutely worth it for the maindishes already!

I also have 'A vegetarian taste of India' by Linda Majzlik. Dispite the fact that some of the recipes are really tasty, it is not traditional enough for me. Partly because i think the recipies are somewhat adapted to 'western taste' and partially because some of the recipes are just not Indian enough for me. But don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book, specially not for it's price. I do really like the recipe for samosas from this one (even though it calls for margerine it is a very nice and crumbly/fluffy dough).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:18 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

MacroVegan wrote:

I also suggest this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:39 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I really like Dakshin "Vegetarian Cuisine from South India".

I bought Indian Vegan kitchen but haven't yet been inspired by it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:37 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi is not vegan but it's about the only Indian cookbook you'll ever need. It's big and covers everything.
You can also check out http://earthvegan.blogspot.com/ for some great vegan Indian recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:41 am 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for the recs , I'm gonna hit up the library and see if I can test drive a few books before buying as I'm not into having a million cookbooks.

I'll see if that Papa Tofu is available for mailorder.

I wish Amitambul had a cookbook , it's all I can think of whenever I go to Chicago.
http://www.amitabulvegan.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:56 pm 

EllaGuru wrote:
Thanks for the recs , I'm gonna hit up the library and see if I can test drive a few books before buying as I'm not into having a million cookbooks.

I'll see if that Papa Tofu is available for mailorder.

I wish Amitambul had a cookbook , it's all I can think of whenever I go to Chicago.
http://www.amitabulvegan.com/

Oh God yes, me too. It's all I can think of full stop.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:21 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Madhur Jaffrey (I have four of her books) and Yamuna Devi have already been mentioned. I also like anything by Julie Sahni and India's Vegetarian Cooking: A Regional Guide by Monisha Bharadwaj.

Efcliz wrote:

I'm frankly puzzled how I've managed to resist buying that one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

Seconding Julie Sahni -- I have "Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Dishes" and some of my favorite recipes are found there. It's not vegan, but the vast majority of it is easily tweaked (if it needs tweaking at all). There is a great and crazy simple mung dal that's my go-to dal recipe, and a brown rice-broccoli-cashew mixture that's healthy and easy and very tasty too.

I have the big Yamuna Devi, and it is encyclopedic to be sure, but keep in mind that that book follows a diet that eschews onion, garlic, etc. so the flavors are going to be a bit different.

Indian Vegan Kitchen isn't bad -- probably a lot more 'quick' recipes -- but if you are only going to get one book, that wouldn't be my pick. I like it, though.

I haven't seen any good Ethiopian cookbooks, but I have made that red lentil dish from VWAV (I think...sometimes I forget which book stuff is from) and it's good. A lot of website have interesting info about the tenets of Ethiopian cooking. The base for most dishes is berbere spice mix or niter kibbeh (clarified butter base); I think once you have those, you can riff on anything. Lots of long stewing times, it seems. More work than I'm usually willing to put into my dinner, especially if I can get a giant plate of the good stuff for cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am 
Chard Martyr

I love Asian Vegan Kitchen, too!

I second Kittee's zine for Ethiopian, and also suggest Flavors of Korea. http://www.amazon.com/Flavors-Korea-Del ... 1570670536 It's vegetarian, but there are only a handful of recipes that use (easily replaceable) egg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have the Monisha Bharadwaj one too, and I really like it. I haven't made anything from it in a while, but I'm planning on trying a couple of new things this week. Most things are super easy to veganise, if they're not vegan already. And it has a heap of pictures, which I always like in a cookbook.

And yeah, Asian Vegan Kitchen is great. That and VCTOTW were the first vegan cookbooks I ever bought.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

Ditto on Dakshin--an excellent Indian cookbook. Many of the dishes are easy and spectacular. Be warned though, many use curry leaves. So get yourself a bush and grow it in the kitchen, so you always have some ready. You'll also need to stock up on some spices at an Indian grocery store, but they'll last you forever.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:17 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

i have and love indian vegan kitchen. i also have maddhur jaffrey's world vegetarian, which has a TON of indian to choose from (and may well satisfy your ethiopian desires). indian vegetarian cooking at your house is a good one (not vegan but easy to replace the cow stuff). lastly but not leastly, indian home cookign by suvir saran is not vegetarian, but it has a ton of EXCELLENT vegetarian recipes, and the meat stuff can easily be made DELICIOUSLY with seitan. i deeply love this cookbook.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:37 pm 
ugh

For Ethiopian, I would look for the best Ethiopian cookbook in general, and not be veg*n specific, since meats are often easily replaced with TVP or seitan. Let me know if you figure out which cookbook that is, because I'd like to get one, too!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:05 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Efcliz wrote:

This is one of the best cookbooks I own. It's lacto-vegetarian, but the recipes that aren't already vegan are very easily veganized.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:17 am 

Does anyone have "Cooking at Home with Pedatha"? I have it and its a gorgeous book but I haven't made anything yet. I must get it out again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I have "Dakshin" and while it sat lonely on the shelf for a few years because it intimidated me, it really is great. Incredibly authentic tasting south Indian, and the recipes are easier than they look. I promise. Do it: suck it up, go to the Indian grocery, buy bags of all those funny split peas and whole spice and real asafoetida (you may have heard scary things about the smell but really it's FINE and it's the difference between authentic tasting and not-authentic tasting indian food out of your kitchen I *swear*), pick up some soygurt for substitutions, and try some things out. The tempering is half of every ingredient list and it's easy and simple once you have the right spices on hand. Skip complicated stuff like idli for now (your friendly Indian grocer should have them frozen anyway: quick! vegan! easy) and pick out a sambar and maybe try a veg poriyal, and maybe a rice recipe. you can get dosa batter if that intimidates you, the masala potato filling is really good. Worth it!!!

For Ethiopian I like Exotic Ethiopian Cooking: http://www.amazon.com/Exotic-Ethiopian-Cooking-Hospitality-Traditions/dp/0961634529/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1292183347&sr=8-3 . Their wheat injera recipe works well - I like to add a little yeast to get that sourdough taste without bothering with the PITA of teff, which has only caused me pain. Other than that you pick out 4 or 5 recipes and just make them, individually they're easy and you can freeze the large quantities they make of certain recipes. Unfortunately Ethiopian's a little like Indian - unless you make several dishes you just end up with what looks like a pile of puke, so pick a variety of different colors and textures. I particularly like the teemateem/teemateem fitfit.. the beets are so simple but so good.... the spinach is nice to make.. and maybe a lentil wat or kik alicha and you're done! Extensive, huge vegan section (Ethiopians eat vegan a good chunk of the year for religious reasons) but I think most of the meat dishes look veganizable with various substitutions if you're feeling brave. Maybe a good chance to put those gardein beef tips to use.

Lately I've had my eye on "From Mom With Love: Complete Guide to Indian Cooking and Entertaining," which seems to get rave reviews.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:22 pm 
Chard Martyr

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

This is one of the best cookbooks I own. It's lacto-vegetarian, but the recipes that aren't already vegan are very easily veganized.

i've had this book for a while and still havent used it! what is wrong with me? i will make something from it very soon. thanks for the inspiration guys!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:24 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

MacroVegan wrote:

Yep!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:36 pm 
Chard Martyr

You know, there's a real void to be filled when it comes to vegan Ethiopian and Korean cookbooks. Start writing 'em people!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:30 am 
Naked Under Apron

vijita wrote:
You know, there's a real void to be filled when it comes to vegan Ethiopian and Korean cookbooks. Start writing 'em people!

working on writing some new ethiopian recipes out!

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next