| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Express by Nava Atlas
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:30 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I can't find a thread designated to this cookbook -- sorry if I'm duplicating!

Just wanted to say how simple and awesome the Channa Masala is from this book. I've made it about three times lately. Deelish! I'd had the book for years and done nothing with it but I've been crazy busy lately so I took it down off the shelf. So pleased!

Post subject: Re: Vegan Express by Nava Atlas
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:59 am 
Chard Martyr

My mum loves this book! She makes the dinner salads all the time. It doesn't always call to me, but everything I've tried has been good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:42 am 
Tofu Pup

The book is truly amazing!! All the recipes in it are just delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:09 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I really love this book, too. It's quick and you can assemble meals from it with variations. Just what I need, a variable menu planner and recipes! The two desserts I tried from this book I wasn't too jazzed about. The caramel/butterscotch pud was just so-so and the chocolate cake had an excellent flavor with potential to be great, but there's something off about the recipe because mine didn't work. I think it might have been too moist but I tried it long ago and can't exactly remember what was wrong.

I often make the grilled polenta with the black bean, spinach and sun dried tomatoes thing with paprika potatoes. I made the grated root vegetable and tahini dressing salad and, I think, the channa masala recently and enjoyed them.

Yeah, every time I use this book, I love it, but I'd just approach the desserts with cautious optimism. Everything else I've tried has been solid and then some.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:07 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I've made Our Favorite Chocolate Cake several times and really like it. I've had no problems with it. I've also made the Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cake several times with equally good results. I made the Butterscotch Mousse Pie once and didn't like it. It calls for brown rice syrup or maple syrup for the sweetener. I used brown rice syrup. If I were to make it again, I'd try it with the maple syrup. I've made the Spicy Tofu Triangles on a Cool Bed of Lettuce a couple times. The spicy tofu with the cool creamy lettuce salad is a great combo. (For ranch/dill type dressings, I always make homemade with Vegenaise as a base.) I've made the Singapore-Style Yellow Curry Rice Noodles with Tofu once. It was tasty and made a ton. I did add a bit of extra soy sauce for the salt. I made the Creole Coleslaw once and didn't enjoy it. Although I like coleslaw and like pickle relish, I didn't like the combo together. I did like the pineapple in it, though. I've also made the Golden Tofu Triangles with Rich Peanut Sauce once and enjoyed it. I made the Pad Thai once and liked it, surprisingly, although it's not really like traditional pad thai at all. It's very saucy with it's inclusion of coconut milk and ketchup. As mentioned in the recipe note, I tried the variation using udon noodles--obviously not traditional rice noodles, but tasty nonetheless.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 am 
Tofu Pup

you are right Channa Masala is delicious except i didn't used dried mango powder ,i don't like it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:47 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I just picked this book up for a dollar at a yard sale!
So far I have only used the "How to Make a Parisian-Style Assiette" on page 67 as inspiration for a delightful meal. I used a quinoa pilaf that I froze a while ago as my timbale-shaped serving of grain at the center of the plate and braised some seitan for the protein. The rest of the plate was all about using up goodies from the farmers' market and garden: creamy dilled cucumber onion salad, braised broccoli Romanesco, and slivers of anaheim and some other pepper, and shaved purple carrots.
I'd love to hear what other people's favorite recipes have been! Inspire me!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:18 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

This is a great everyday cookbook. The Chana Masala is in regular rotation at my house. I particularly enjoy the salads in this book, as they are creative and easy to make. I often rely on them for potlucks. My favorites are the Bok Choy, Red Cabbage and Carrot Salad; Cauliflower and Carrot Salad, Middle Eastern Chop Salad, and the Chickpea and Carrot Salad with Parsley and Olives (I actually made that - again - last night. I like to put it in a tortilla and make a wrap out of it for lunch).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:31 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I don't have this cookbook (it sounds great though), I just wanted to chime in that I met Nava at the last VVC and she was so incredibly warm and kind. I will have to find this book and try it out!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:41 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

J_Rice, thanks for listing your favorites! I'm very into making salads to take for picnics and lunches this summer, and the salads in this book do look fun.

Erika, it's so nice to know that the author is great in real life!