| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 pm 
Inflexitarian

I made the Citrus Black Bean Soup for a pot luck at work. It was almost all gone by the time my lunch came around! It was a big hit. I just guessed on the water to add, it's not listed on the recipe. I just kinda dumped until it looked good and added more in the morning before heading in to work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

I really love this cookbook! I'm super busy with school and this really helps me to make interesting vegan food. My favorites recipes from here the Kung Pao Chicken and the split pea soup. I've always been fan of split pea soup, but this recipe really adds to way my mom use to make it :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We've made the Cranberry Vanilla Quinoa twice... so good. I added a cinnamon stick and walnuts/sliced almonds. I've been on an oatmeal kick lately, so this is a nice variation.

We have Hungarian Mushroom Soup and Sweet Potato and White Bean Soup on the menu this week. Looking forward to them!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

kdub wrote:
We've made the Cranberry Vanilla Quinoa twice... so good. I added a cinnamon stick and walnuts/sliced almonds. I've been on an oatmeal kick lately, so this is a nice variation.

We have Hungarian Mushroom Soup and Sweet Potato and White Bean Soup on the menu this week. Looking forward to them!

I have the sweet potato & white bean soup in my slow cooker right now - it smells amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:36 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The minestrone and gumbo are two of our absolute favorites ... so, so good. I make dried beans and baked potatos every week -- these basics have saved the day so many times!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:54 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Tempeh Tornado! I was desperate for a slow-cooker sloppy joe, but nervous to try this, because the spices are in really different ratios than for other sloppy joe recipes that I've tried. It came out a bit liquid-y for my taste (I did add an extra 1/4 cup of water, because we were leaving it on all day), but the flavor was great. I think next time I'm going to shred the tempeh and add less water.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Has anyone tried making the Tea-scented Tofu? I am planning on making this today and want to know what to expect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:25 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

cat with a monocle wrote:
Has anyone tried making the Tea-scented Tofu? I am planning on making this today and want to know what to expect.

That is the only recipe I've made from this book! Honestly, I didn't love it. The tofu didn't really end up tasting like anything. I think that maybe if you marinated it first, it would be better (i.e. add some saltiness so that you can even taste the tea flavor?). Oh, and it stuck like crazy, so maybe lay down some parchment paper or something.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:58 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

allularpunk wrote:
cat with a monocle wrote:

That is the only recipe I've made from this book! Honestly, I didn't love it. The tofu didn't really end up tasting like anything. I think that maybe if you marinated it first, it would be better (i.e. add some saltiness so that you can even taste the tea flavor?). Oh, and it stuck like crazy, so maybe lay down some parchment paper or something.

Hmm, that's good to know. I think I will try it as-written anyway, and maybe saute it in some soy sauce afterward.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:29 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

And... the Tea-Scented Tofu was a total bust. The texture changed a bit, though I'm not sure it changed for the better, and it doesn't taste like tea or smoke or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:53 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Right? I'm sorry it sucked for you too, but glad I'm not the only one, so now I know it wasn't me just forking it up somehow.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:51 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

It sounded like it could be so good. At the very least, it looks like it could soak up a marinade a bit better than normally. So it wasn't a complete waste.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:37 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

So far I've made the pot pie with seitan. It was pretty good. . . Very simple. I ended up drowning it in hot sauce and then it was like buffalo chicken pie, which is always allowed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5