| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:41 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the Prospect Park Potato Salad for the first time yesterday. It was for a big party full of only omnis, and no one really commented on it, but I loved it! It did look kind of gross though. Too much dressing or something. Doesn't bother me, but it didn't make for very pretty party food.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
I made the Prospect Park Potato Salad for the first time yesterday. It was for a big party full of only omnis, and no one really commented on it, but I loved it! It did look kind of gross though. Too much dressing or something. Doesn't bother me, but it didn't make for very pretty party food.

This is my go-to "regular" potato salad. I'll trade celery for cucumber sometimes, but I took it to a birthday party with a bunch of southerners, and everyone preferred it over my grandmother's potato salad. I'm a jerk.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:56 am 
Nailed to the V

Made the Broccoli-Potato Soup with Fresh Herbs.

I finally remembered to put my little grocery list with the dill & mint on it for my quick dash into Waitrose this morning. It is ready to eat, I have had a spoonful to test for quality & it is lovely.

We often have soup for a meal along with some grilled bread & I usually have some CAKE, or pie about the house.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the 'Po Boys yesterday. Hearty and super good and spicy. I left off the pickles though--not because I don't believe they would add another delicious dimension (I think they would) and believe that pickles would also take some of edge off the chipotle mayo heat--but more because I just don't have the fridge space to store the giant jars of dill they sell at the supermarket. I will clear some space in the fridge and add them next time I make this as this is a tasty sammich!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

Another vote for the coconut lemon bundt cake. Served it to omnis at a meeting and they inhaled it :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the mango, black bean and quinoa salad. Perfect for summer! Light and lovely and healthy. I did take the time to toast the quinoa before steaming it, which I like doing when I have the time. Just adds a little extra dimension of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the lemon bars for the second time the other day (the first time was when I had just bought the book, so loooong ago) and popped them into the fridge and now I'll have a sweet treat at hand any time. I love them!

I might try to increase the amount of the lemon filling though because I just everything lemon flavoured. I used a generous teaspoon of agar agar powder instead of the flakes and that was just fine. A little more would probably not have hurt though.

Also, the hot sauce glazed tempe is marinating in the fridge for tomorrow. I'll eat it with the creole stuffed peppers. Looking forward to it already!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

So, I made the Hot Sauce glazed Tempeh and the Creole stuffed peppers yesterday for dinner. I did like both well enough but liked the peppers better than the tempeh.
I felt that those huge chunks of tempeh did not really soak up the marinade so the insides just tasted like... tempeh. I guess I'll never be a huge fan of it but it is okay from time to time.

For the peppers I kind of estimated the amounts for everything because I only had three peppers and some leftover white beans (which I used instead of BEP) and I eyeballed the other ingredients to fit those. They came together quickly and easily and make for a really nice meal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:50 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made my friend some of 'The Pirate' ice cream sandwiches, since she's pirate OBSESSED, and I think they went down well with her. My parents, seeing that I had made her cookies, felt a bit left out that I had not made anything for them, so I gave some some of the spare cookies left over. My dad said they were the nicest cookies I have made. So the next day I made them a batch of the Rumnogg pecan cookies. Earlier today my dad requested me to make them another batch.
In conclusion, if you've not made them go and make them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:09 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been making a lot of new recipes from Veganomicon lately!

The other day I made the curried carrot dip and the cashew-cucumber dip to use both on sandwiches. I did change up quite a few things though:

-for the carrot dip I changed the seasoning to make them go with the baked tofu I had: left out curry and cumin, added spring onions, pepper and dill. I also soaked the (unroasted) sunflower seeds so they would puree more easily and for the oil used unrefined sunflower seed oil. DELICIOUS! This recipe makes a good base for all kinds of carrot dips!

- For the cashew-cuke-dip I just pureed all of the cucumber with the other ingredients and also did not squeeze the juice out because I wanted the constistency to be rather liquidy so I could drizzle it over my sandwich. This stuff is nice and fit perfectly with the other parts of the sandwich.

So, I made sandwiches as follows: Used turkish flatbread, smeared the bottom with the carrot dip, topped with cucumbers, tomatoes, baked Eastern European tofu from VEW, lettuce and the cashew-cuke-drizzle. Soooooooo good! And perfect for the hot weather we are having at the moment.

I also used the Italian tofu marinade to make oven baked tempeh with and it worked wonderfully.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

I am taking advantage of all the fresh produce I received from my in-laws' garden and got cooking today from V'con!

I made the Fresh Corn Stock and refrigerated it so I can make it into more yummy stuff from the book. This stock smelled like absolute heaven and is so rich in corny flavor. Can't wait to use it. I also made some Skillet Cornbread from V'con with the jalapeno and onion variation. I used blue cornmeal and it turned out just perfect. Next up, I'm going to make the Roasted Pepper and Corn Bisque, using this stock as the veggie stock.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

Revisiting the V'con has been so much fun. Today I made the Fudgy Wudgy Blueberry Brownies. Made exactly as directed, except I used all spelt flour instead of all purpose, and subbed coconut yogurt for half of the canola oil. Yum, yum, yum! I had to restrain myself from eating them directly out of the pan! Okay, who am I kidding? I was pretty much eating them straight out of the pan. So good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:49 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

leeeah wrote:
The Mexican Millet seemed a little bland straight out of the pan, but today, cold, it's pretty good. I imagine this with some beans will make an excellent burrito.... If I can stay away from Chipotle long enough.

The Mexican Millet is one of my favorite recipes...not just in this book, but EVER.

I do have to agree it needs more kick though. I always ALWAYS replace the jalapenos with a couple of smoked chillies in adobo sauce. It really takes it to the next level. I also always add a cup of frozen corn at the end. And some black beans if I want a one-pot meal or really good burrito filling.

I think I need to revisit this book. It has been awhile since I have dug around in there and found either something new, or an old favorite. I have not made the Moussaka in a long time, and it is a huge favorite in my house. The samosa stuffed potatoes are really rad too. I don't re-stuff though, I just make samosa mashed potatoes as a side for a dry curry.

I really need to try the lemon bars. My guy is always asking for them. I have most of the ingredients. I don't know what is stopping me...oh yeah, the fact that I will eat the entire batch in one night! I'll have to do it on a Sunday so he can take them to work, and away from me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

There really is so much I still have to cook from V'con. I just got too distracted with all the new cookbooks. (I am hoping the cookbook per month syndrome is a typical newb thing - I'll run out of room!) Last night I made the spicy tempeh sausage broccoli rabe pasta recipe. Easily in my top 3 from V'con. The tempeh was so fennely and spicy - and quick. Delicious with the bitter of the broccoli rabe.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

emmalv wrote:
There really is so much I still have to cook from V'con. I just got too distracted with all the new cookbooks. (I am hoping the cookbook per month syndrome is a typical newb thing - I'll run out of room!)

Haha, I don't know. I've been vegan for over 10 years and I still have that problem! o_O

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

emmalv wrote:
There really is so much I still have to cook from V'con. I just got too distracted with all the new cookbooks. (I am hoping the cookbook per month syndrome is a typical newb thing - I'll run out of room!) Last night I made the spicy tempeh sausage broccoli rabe pasta recipe. Easily in my top 3 from V'con. The tempeh was so fennely and spicy - and quick. Delicious with the bitter of the broccoli rabe.

Nope, because then there are awesome new books that you have to have. The cookbook swap thread has helped a little bit, but I always want more than I want to part with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

i just bought veganomicon (like, a bajillion years late, i know!) because my cooking was in a rut and i was eating the same 5 meals all the time. made the fabled chickpea cutlets and tangerine baked tofu. the cutlets were so good, i want to eat them everyday. i also enjoyed the novelty of eating something i absolutely had to cut with a knife, lets just say it's been a while and i have no etiquette skills, apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Creep and Comrade, I fear you speak the truth...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:42 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I tried out the basic broiled tofu yesterday. Didn't have any high expectations, but it was so good! Perfect texture and so flavorful.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:07 am 
Nailed to the V

made the Broccoli Polenta for the first time yesterday ... was splendid served with a tomato/pesto sauce ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:12 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Love Child wrote:
I tried out the basic broiled tofu yesterday. Didn't have any high expectations, but it was so good! Perfect texture and so flavorful.

So yummy! I think I remember eating the whole batch the first time I made it... Who knew something so basic could taste soooo good?!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the coconut bundtcake with orange instead of lemon. Still delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

baps wrote:
My friends loved the chickpeas romesco and saffron rice. There were no leftovers.

Just made this with the dregs in my cabinet (1/2 batch, since I only had one can of chickpeas). Replaced shallots with scallions, white wine with rejuvelac, and the serrano with a dried chile de arbol. Also no bell peppers around these parts... but this recipe is still SO YUMMY and quick and simple! The fire-roasted tomatoes sure add a great, deep flavor to the sauce.

And I incorporated the idea of the saffron rice accompaniment, but with a saffron quinoa pilaf-esque dish (quinoa mixed with Goya saffron sazon, topped chopped scallions and parsley). The quinoa is so beautifully orange, with specks of green from the fresh herbs.

Delicious big bowl of loveliness, topped with a few spoonfuls of nooch. Hard to resist going back for 3rds... Can't wait till dinner!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganMeredith wrote:
Love Child wrote:

So yummy! I think I remember eating the whole batch the first time I made it... Who knew something so basic could taste soooo good?!

Thank you for mentioning this! I have not much in my fridge, but I do have some tofu! Time to get creative and dig into Vcon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:59 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Holy crepe.

If you haven't made the Manzana Chili Verde, go make it. I can't believe I never even glanced at it. It's so good.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next