| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the Applesauce-Oat Bran muffins last week. It had been a while & I had forgotten how delicious they are!

I also made the Berry-Coconut Crisp with blackberries. I subbed white spelt flour for the white rice flour and used extra vanilla extract instead of coconut. It came out nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

cat with a monocle wrote:
The cashew ricotta is seriously one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Had to pipe in on this. Indeed, I've enjoyed it in regular ricotta applications, for which I had a hankering yesterday, but no pasta in sight.... I therefore dolloped some onto some quinoa, and added some homemade marinara leftover from pizza. Not too shabby!

I always add a few T of nooch and some light miso (offsetting some of the salt) to my ricotta while processing - love the depth both add. I even added some rejuvelac to loosen it up, as needed.

But the REAL treasure was discovered when trying to think "what else?" could be made with the remaining bucket of ricotta (I'd doubled the recipe). Last night's dinner, and again today's lunch, were cold/crispy organic carrot sticks dipped VERY GENEROUSLY into the cold cashew ricotta! So refreshing and good and filling and PERFECT for our present heat wave (blah).

I'm looking to make it again - minus garlic/basil - to have as part of a snack with frozen berries, flax, and a drizzle of syrup or agave (a favorite pregan snack/dessert).

CR = such an amazing food item to have at your fingertips. And really scratches the cheese itch for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:00 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I finally made the Blueberry Brownies. I'd always been drawn to them, but not quite sure about it...

They're fantastic! Seriously one of the best brownies I've ever had. And they're satisfying without being stuffing, but do leave me wanting more. :)

I made the Braised Seitan with Brussels, Kale & Sun-dried Tomatoes last night. While my brussels definitely could have been cooked longer, these flavors are great together.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

In honor of July 4th, I made the Prospect Park Potato Salad. Yummy! I especially like the inclusion of cucumbers that pickle a bit in the dressing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:05 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Just made a double batch of the banana wheat germ muffins, which are delicious. Now I just hope they freeze well because that's kind of a lot of muffins.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:16 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

VeganVamp, I am also using the cashew ricotta in all possible applications, and one I am going to re-create soon is a chocolate ricotta pie my mum used to make: omit the garlic, add sugar and melted chocolate, and bake in a flaky crust. I'm sure it will be awesome!
I use the CR as a spread on my morning toast too very often.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:15 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Anek wrote:
VeganVamp, I am also using the cashew ricotta in all possible applications, and one I am going to re-create soon is a chocolate ricotta pie my mum used to make: omit the garlic, add sugar and melted chocolate, and bake in a flaky crust. I'm sure it will be awesome!
I use the CR as a spread on my morning toast too very often.

As decadent and versatile as that ricotta is, my wheels are turning from this idea - I was kicking around the omission of the savory ingredients to use it with fresh berries (a pregan fave). Your mum's pie sounds wonderful - hope to see some pix!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Made a few thing this past week from this book:

Prospect Park Potato Salad- I made it exactly as written and it was quite good. Next time I'll add a little celery, radish and green onion. I was going to this time but wanted to try it as written the first time.

Olive Oil and Lemon Dressing- This salad dressing is so good. I served it on a green salad when I had guests over and everyone loved it.

Cranberry Orange Nut Bread- Amazing! I used pecans instead of walnuts. Me and my husband polished off the whole loaf in 2 days. My kids don't like nuts in bread so that just means we got to eat it all to ourselves. I bet it would taste great with lemon instead of orange as well. I plan on making it again soon since my husband likes to take quickbreads/muffins in his lunch so I am always making them.

I have been trying to use my cookbooks more so I have a few more recipes from this book on my "make soon" list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been marking recipes to try in my other books but haven't slogged through Vcon yet, which I really should. I just make the same few recipes over and over and haven't branched out to something new since the samosa baked potatoes and it has been AGES before that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32