| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

greenknittinggal wrote:
Ok, so I was a bit too efficient/enthusiastic today and made the vcon eggplant potato moussaka despite already having made another dinner for this evening. I figured I could make the moussaka and keep it in the fridge until tomorrow night.
BUT, for some reason I actually cooked the moussaka too...

How can I reheat it?! Do you think just stick it back in the oven, perhaps with some foil over it? For how long approx??

Also, it's just me and my Mum eating at home and I halved the recipe but it's still huge. Do you suppose I could freeze some of it?
It looks so beautiful I know it's going to be good and the idea of having a couple of pieces in the freezer to pull out on a rainy day is very appealing.

Sorry for all the questions.
Hope someone can help. Thank you :)

Maybe just reheat the portion(s) you plan to eat instead of the entire thing, if it's already cooked.

I've frozen the moussaka twice now, and it's fine thawed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My mum has wanted the family to move away from eating so much meat since we found out that my dad has bowel cancer, so I go this for her for Christmas. She's already marked a heap of things that she wants to make.

I also made chickpea cutlet parmigianas for my partner and I for Christmas day lunch, my dad tried some and asked if she can make them again. Even my brother liked them, and he hates everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:50 am 
Saggy Butt

[/quote]
It's been a long time since I made this, I did make the moussaka back in testing days, but I believe I froze some portions and it was fine.

I usually reheat cassaroles at 350 degrees for say around 15 to 20 minutes (will take longer to heat more servings, sort of thing). I like stuff dried out, so I'd leave the foil off, but you might want to leave the foil off and only take it off for the last five minutes or so to preserve some of the moisture and then take it off near the end of your cooking time for a bit of a crisp finish. Hope it turns out okay.[/quote]

Thank you, I froze it into individual portions but heated one up as your instructions and it worked out well without foil:) 5 more portions in the freezer for me too! The original recipe said 6-8 portions!? What? My half batch made 6 portions?! Typo?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:33 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I made Snobby Joes last night and they were so, so good. I can't wait to make more!

Last edited by Sarah-Jane on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:35 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I tried to edit and accidently quoted myself. Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the Blueberry Corn Pancakes for dinner last night. I left out the blueberries and vanilla, because I wanted something to go along with Tempeh Bacon. They were so good! Like the recipe says "good mouth feel." haha. Definitely planning to make these again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:09 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the chipotle lentil burgers from AFR last week and have chipotles in adobo sauce left over. I'm going to make one of my favourite meals ever - the V'con black beans in chipotle adobo sauce and Mexican millet. So, so good, and easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:27 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I finally made the lemon potatoes last night! They were okay but I didn't love them - this is possibly my fault as I used bottled lemon juice and skipped the tomato paste because I don't have any. Anyway, I'm sticking to the au gratin ones :)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:11 am 
WELFARIST!

appifanie wrote:
I finally made the lemon potatoes last night! They were okay but I didn't love them - this is possibly my fault as I used bottled lemon juice and skipped the tomato paste because I don't have any. Anyway, I'm sticking to the au gratin ones :)

These are my faves served with the Mediterranean Lima Beans and spanokopitas (made mini triangles style, from VwaV). Yum. Do give it one more chance with fresh lemon juice and the tomato paste at some point. I absolutely love these taters!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

seitanicverses wrote:
appifanie wrote:

These are my faves served with the Mediterranean Lima Beans and spanokopitas (made mini triangles style, from VwaV). Yum. Do give it one more chance with fresh lemon juice and the tomato paste at some point. I absolutely love these taters!

yup, bottled lemon juice wouldn't do these gems justice!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:

These were great with real lemon juice & tomato paste. Give them another chance!

Though, I'm not really prone to heartburn, but they did the trick.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Boyfriend and I both loved the lemon potatoes, but I found that mine took ages to cook- like, double the time that the recipe says. That's the only reason I haven't made them again. I should definitely try again now that I have a new oven.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

Erinnerung wrote:
Boyfriend and I both loved the lemon potatoes, but I found that mine took ages to cook- like, double the time that the recipe says. That's the only reason I haven't made them again. I should definitely try again now that I have a new oven.

Yeah, actually, I'm pretty sure mine take longer than the recipes says (adding on maybe an extra 20-30 minutes on the baking time or thereabouts) but they're so worth it when they're ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I make the Tomato Rice Soup with Roasted Garlic and Navy Beans a lot. Same with the Herb Scalloped Potatoes. A recent favourite is the Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles. Those are fabulous!

I need to go through the book and try more recipes. I have a bad habit of finding one recipe I love and then just making that over and over.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

In the roasted yellow pepper and corn bisque, can you replace a winter squash for the summer squash since it's, well, winter? How would this change things?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:26 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Summer squash has a much higher water content than winter/fall squashes. Zucchini would be a much better sub. Cook's Thesaurus says basically the same thing.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Darn. I'm trying to use up things I got from my CSA box (peppers and squashes) while cooking from V'con because of the cookbook challenge. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:59 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the Wheat Free Chocolate Chip cookies this morning. They were delicious! I made a few changes - instead of 1/3 cup of oil, I used 2 tablespoons of oil and close to 1/2 cup of apple sauce (minus the bite I stole from the 1/2 cup portion). And I only used 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar rather than the full 1/2 cup. Plenty sweet and super delicious! I also did what the side note said to do if you don't have oat flour - ground up (quick) oats in my spice grinder. Worked very well.

Hope you enjoy the cookbook! I'm also just beginning to make my way through it.

Amanda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have the smoky tempeh marinating right now. Lately I just can't get enough of this stuff. Even right after I finish eating it I want it again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

molly wrote:
I have the smoky tempeh marinating right now. Lately I just can't get enough of this stuff. Even right after I finish eating it I want it again.

I ate a lot of this stuff the first time I made it (repeated the recipe a lot, I mean). The fiance and I grill it on a charcoal grill and eat it like a burger.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:25 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Made the vegan crepes. They were so delicious. Could have just eaten them plain :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

forking scalloped potatoes are so good! it's a good think i only make 1/2 batch at a time.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:29 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I have written down all of the recipes from Vcon that I want to make right now. It's a long, long list.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've made the chickpea cutlets, jelly doughnut cupcakes, and chocolate chocolate chip cookies from V'con so far.
The chickpea cutlets were delicious. They tasted familiar and very different at the same time. My non-veg sister loved them too.
The Jelly doughnut cupcakes didn't exactly cooperate...the jelly didn't sink down but bubbled over. I think I just put too much batter into each little slot and the jelly couldn't compete. Extremely tasty none the less!
The cookies were mmmmmm! In the past with vegan baking experiments my cookies ended up being more like muffins. It was great to have a perfectly chewy cookie. I'm a happy girl.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hmm, I apparently make the same recipes over and over instead of trying new ones. That's no way to treat a cookbook such as this!

Here are my faves, the ones that I personally love and also bring to gatherings to astound the doubting omnivores:

Fudgy-Wudgy Blueberry Brownies (also subbing cherries when I can)
Peanut-Ginger-Sesame Cookies
Potato & Kale Enchiladas (which take a lot longer for me than the book says)
Manzana Chili Verde
Baked BBQ Tofu

Thanks for all the new ideas, folks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next