| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:14 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My first adventure cooking from V'con was last night. It was around -8F degrees with a wind chill of nearly -25F and I wanted soup! So I made the Ancho-Lentil Soup...sort of.

Instead of making my own chili powder, I just used a good version I get from Avanza (a Mexican grocery store here in Denver) and I did not add the pineapple because I had none.

I also made the Lime Crema (used a weak olive oil because I didn't have the specified avocado) to mix into the soup...OUTSTANDING.

All in all, I think I might be living on this soup for the rest of the winter!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have this book on my Nook, and it was so quiet at work today I decided to really read the beginning part instead of flipping through to just the recipes. Before today I hadn't really gotten around to it. Anyway - it is so FUNNY! I know all of their books are entertaining, but there is so much more writing in this book and it really had me entertained!!

I think my favorite joke is to not use the word "stoiling" in front of other people. :)
Perfect way to spend a snowy day at work!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:00 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Made the French Lentil Soup today. It was a big hit with the family. I have tarragon but I rarely use it. The spices in the soup really give it a unique taste. I didn't have veggie broth so I used 32 oz. of carrot juice and some water. I often use carrot juice as a base in my soups. Husband thought I should puree the soup and use it in lasagna!!! That man thinks in a way that I never will. Luckily I can use your recipes!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've had this book for about two years now, and I have to admit that I am terrified of it. BUT, over the weekend I took another look and realized that my vegan cooking skills have improved with time and I am ready to tackle some yummy Vcon recipes.

I made the Pumpkin baked ziti with carmelized onions and sage crumb topping. And, Pumpkin crumb cake with pecan streusel.

Both were delicious of course! I had a dinner party to go to on Sunday and these were both a hit with non-vegan people.

The cashew ricotta for the pumpkin baked ziti was a breeze to make. Now I'm trying to think of other ways to use it. Maybe on pizza!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

GraciaKai wrote:
Now I'm trying to think of other ways to use it. Maybe on pizza!

The cashew ricotta is awesome on pizza. I'll be making mini pizzas for lunches with it all week!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:11 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made the Lemon Coconut Bundt Cake this morning. Very, very bad idea. I'm on my third cup of coffee and I can't stop eating it. Oy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The Mediterranean olive oil and lemon vinaigrette is the most delicious thing everrrrrrr. I just ate it on my salad. Goes perfectly with arugula.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I had a bottle of molasses in my cupboard for years - I decided to make the ginger cookies last November to try and use it up and they were so good I've just bought my 3rd bottle. I love the bite of cinnamon and ginger. I add a bit more spice than it calls for and add extra cinnamon to the sugar they are rolled it. So good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the heart-shaped apple galettes for the first time today, though I used a GF nut crust. They're so pretty, and TASTY. I love the apricot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:12 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

seitanicverses wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
Now I'm trying to think of other ways to use it. Maybe on pizza!

The cashew ricotta is awesome on pizza. I'll be making mini pizzas for lunches with it all week!

The cashew ricotta is awesome on everything. I like making stuffed shells with it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:30 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I finally managed to get some vital wheat gluten! SO I made chickpea cutlets for the first time.... Hurray!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:28 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm ready for summer and corn season. Not because of our schizophrenic weather this winter, but because I have been dreaming of making the Southwestern Corn Pudding since I made it over a year ago. I need a babysitter this time around tho because it was quite a feat with a wee one underfoot, but so worth it!

It's so full of flavor and the silky texture punctuated with skillet-browned corn kernels and red pepper and the cilantro and...and.....yeah, bring on summer corn!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:11 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the Quinoa Chickpea pilaf last night, it was soooo easy and friggin good....I think it could easily become my favorite comfort dish.
I also attempted to make the Almond Quinoa muffins but was a complete dumbpants and left out the quinoa.....actually left it sitting right next to the mixing bowl, only saw it after the muffins were already baking. The muffins were still great even sans quinoa.

Ahhhaaa..."dumbpants"...i love the auto edit thingy. I'm gonna start using that word. You are such a dumbpants.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:49 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

mamachandra wrote:
I'm ready for summer and corn season. Not because of our schizophrenic weather this winter, but because I have been dreaming of making the Southwestern Corn Pudding since I made it over a year ago. I need a babysitter this time around tho because it was quite a feat with a wee one underfoot, but so worth it!

It's so full of flavor and the silky texture punctuated with skillet-browned corn kernels and red pepper and the cilantro and...and.....yeah, bring on summer corn!
I'm ready for the summer too, for the seasonal vegetables as well as the end of snow. I am desperatly missing asparagus and berries, but they are just too expensive this time of year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:10 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

zeebo wrote:
I made the Quinoa Chickpea pilaf last night, it was soooo easy and friggin good....I think it could easily become my favorite comfort dish.

I want to make this! Is it good as it is or do you need something on the side, like baked tofu?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:04 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Love Child wrote:
zeebo wrote:

I want to make this! Is it good as it is or do you need something on the side, like baked tofu?

In my opinion you could go either way. It is quite filling. I ate it as a main dish last night, and had a small bowl for lunch today.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:01 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've made the lower fat banana bread many times and I love it. Yesterday, for the first time, I put mini chocolate chips in. It is so good. It takes the banana bread to a whole other level. I am not a chocolate person and I mostly added the choc chips for the kids and now I am the one eating slice after slice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just made the Vietnamese seitan baguette with dipping sauce and it is really yummy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:59 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the chickpea-quinoa pilaf yesterday, and had it for lunch today. Very tasty! I added more spices though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

healthyrunner wrote:
I made the Wheat Free Chocolate Chip cookies this morning. They were delicious! I made a few changes - instead of 1/3 cup of oil, I used 2 tablespoons of oil and close to 1/2 cup of apple sauce (minus the bite I stole from the 1/2 cup portion). And I only used 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar rather than the full 1/2 cup. Plenty sweet and super delicious! I also did what the side note said to do if you don't have oat flour - ground up (quick) oats in my spice grinder. Worked very well.

Hope you enjoy the cookbook! I'm also just beginning to make my way through it.

Amanda

That's exactly the info I was looking for on this thread! I made these last night exactly as the recipe reads, and they are so good! I wanted to see if anyone else changed the recipe to be lower in fat. I am not confident enough to do that yet. The only bad thing was that the cookies were very much stuck to the cookie sheets. The recipe says to cook them on an ungreased sheet, but I won't be doing that again!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:12 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the poppy seed-cornmeal roti today, to eat with the chickpea-spinach curry from VWAV. Fantastic! The best flat bread I've ever had.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's amazing how long I've had this book, cooking out of it weekly, and at some point even daily, and I'm still making new things from it all the time.

Chickpeas romesco over angel hair pasta tonight. Nommmzzz.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:42 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My vegan-skeptical mother and 2 aunts came over for lunch today, and I'd been stressing about what to feed them, since they are freaked out by tofu, onions, garlic, dark green vegetables, and anything "ethnic," and I'm gluten-free. I made a batch of hummus using the v'con recipe and served it with chopped veggies, and they all wanted the recipe. Then we had Creamy Tomato Soup and Caesar Salad (I made the croutons with GF bread), and they loved them both! It never even occurred to them that the salad dressing wasn't dairy; I had to tell them it was tofu! Best part: both of my aunts (one of whom has said that beef is her favorite seasoning) are going to BUY Veganomicon, that's how much they loved the lunch. Victory!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:14 am 
Baking In The Flavor

mittenmacher wrote:
Best part: both of my aunts (one of whom has said that beef is her favorite seasoning) are going to BUY Veganomicon, that's how much they loved the lunch. Victory!

Yay! Whenever I want to show omnis that vegan food is delicious, I make them something from the V'con.

Tonight I made the Corn and Edamame Salad and rolled some sushi stuffed with the tempeh/pear/wasabi/mayo salad (don't remember name). Both were awesome! The tempeh stuff is going to be great in a wrap for lunch tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:01 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the linguine with basil/cilantro pesto and artichoke hearts today. Used brown rice rotini instead of linguine but otherwise followed the recipe --> awesome! The cilantro pesto was a good twist on an old favorite, and I loved how just opening a can of artichoke hearts made the meal totally classy and unusual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 32  Next