| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have the Eggplant-Potato Moussaka in the oven and oh my god, that pine nut crema. I wanted to just stand there and eat it all straight from the food processor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

mittenmacher wrote:
My vegan-skeptical mother and 2 aunts came over for lunch today, and I'd been stressing about what to feed them, since they are freaked out by tofu, onions, garlic, dark green vegetables, and anything "ethnic," and I'm gluten-free. I made a batch of hummus using the v'con recipe and served it with chopped veggies, and they all wanted the recipe. Then we had Creamy Tomato Soup and Caesar Salad (I made the croutons with GF bread), and they loved them both! It never even occurred to them that the salad dressing wasn't dairy; I had to tell them it was tofu! Best part: both of my aunts (one of whom has said that beef is her favorite seasoning) are going to BUY Veganomicon, that's how much they loved the lunch. Victory!

What a great story!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made a little appetizer tray last night for some friends with the curried carrot dip, the creamy mediterranean fake tzatziki (can't remember real recipe name), and hummus. Everything was so good! I loved the non-tzatziki - that's going to be really good in a pita with veggies and falafel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Black Bean Vegetable Soup yesterday. It may be the best soup I've ever cooked. I did add a can of fire roasted tomatoes, though. My neighbors loved it. We mixed in some Tofutti sour cream and crumbled saltines in our bowls. So good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just made a soy-free, gluten free version of the pumpkin baked ziti. Brown rice pasta, brown rice bread crumbs, soy-free eb and 1.5 cups of navy beans in place of the tofu in the cashew ricotta. I can't believe I've never tried this before. It is delicious and perfect on this cold, rainy day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I made the Rice and Lentils with Caramalized Onions tonight. It was delicious, cheap and easy to make! I recommend decreasing the amount of olive oil, though, and adding a few shakes of salt at the end.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:00 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

monkeytoes wrote:
Possibly my favorite Vcon meal is chickpeas romesco with saffron garlic rice.

this. The romesco is amazing just on it's own. I think I even ate it cold.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

just made the prospect park potato salad and it was amazing! i added green beans and fresh dill because they were in my fridge. can't wait for picnic season

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:38 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made Mac Daddy for the second time this weekend and omitted all the lemon juice in the sauce (used it in the tofu mixture though). So awesome and cheezy! And it tasted even better after a few days in the fridge! Yum, yum, yum.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:41 am 
Saggy Butt

Finally made the banana-date scones. Had one for breakfast this morning :) So so fabulous. Soft and fluffy with chew from the dates and crunch from the walnuts. And now I have 7 more in my freezer for another 7 happy mornings. Yay!
I definitely recommend these for the next time you have overripe bananas. I'm glad I strayed from my classic banana bread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Love Child wrote:
I made the chickpea-quinoa pilaf yesterday, and had it for lunch today. Very tasty! I added more spices though.

this is my favorite recipe from veganomicon!

i haven't made nearly enough from this book. though everything else i've made has been awesome like the chocolate bundt cake, banana bread, mac daddy, and the chickpea cutlets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Lower-Fat Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake this weekend to shut my mother in law up, who kept going on and on all weekend about "how can you bake without eggs???" One bite and she's now a believer. I can't believe it's lowfat, either - it's so moist and delicious!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:23 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Has anyone mentioned the Muffuletta(spelling?) sandwich? It takes some work but it's worth making! Good recipe for people who don't like eggplant but got some from their CSA.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:51 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I made the White Bean Aioli today, and it's so very delicious. I've seen others mentioning it as a great mayo sub, and I can see now they are totally right.

I'm dipping fresh veggies in it for now, but I suspect I'll find many other yummy uses for it.

Thanks for yet another great recipe!

Melissa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Tamarind Lentils last night and they are SO GOOD.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:04 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm cooking out of this every night for dinner this week. So excited! We are making the Pasta de Los Angeles, Tomato/rice/bean soup, Chickpea cutlets, and Seitanic red and white bean jambalaya. Yeah buddy I love this cookbook!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:54 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the chickpea cutlets yesterday, for the fourth time (I think?). I'm finally starting to understand why everyone's raving about them! This time around I panfried them instead of baking which I've done before. The texture was so much better! I also used one whole can of chickpeas and replaced some of the vwg with chickpea flour. So yummy.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the lemon bars for the first time in years for a party last weekend. They are so good - even better than I remembered - and a party full of omnis raved about them. Yay!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:17 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the coconut lemon bundt cake for the second time yesterday. The first time I made it, a year ago, with the coconut, for a work party and it was raved over. This time I made it without the coconut because one of my kids hates the texture of coconut, and it was so good. I also used the low fat coconut milk this time and it was still great. Not as decadent as with the full fat but still an amazing cake.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just made the spinach noodle kugel for shabbat dinner on friday for my friend who had never had any kind of kugel (vegan or no) and she LOVED it.
<3 nomicom

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I know it's May and not October but I've been having a craving for something with pumpkin! So lunch this week is the baked pumpkin ziti (I don't have the exact recipe title in front of me). Super good. I made the recipe exactly as specified EXCEPT used slightly less olive oil,about half the amount of breadcrumbs, and only a tablespoon of margarine when toasting the breadcrumbs (as opposed to the quarter cup called for). Delicious and still tastes very rich with all the cashews, tofu, and walnuts in the other parts of the recipe.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mittenmacher wrote:
My vegan-skeptical mother and 2 aunts came over for lunch today, and I'd been stressing about what to feed them, since they are freaked out by tofu, onions, garlic, dark green vegetables, and anything "ethnic," and I'm gluten-free. I made a batch of hummus using the v'con recipe and served it with chopped veggies, and they all wanted the recipe. Then we had Creamy Tomato Soup and Caesar Salad (I made the croutons with GF bread), and they loved them both! It never even occurred to them that the salad dressing wasn't dairy; I had to tell them it was tofu! Best part: both of my aunts (one of whom has said that beef is her favorite seasoning) are going to BUY Veganomicon, that's how much they loved the lunch. Victory!

That is so awesome! And cute! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Made Mediterranean Baked Lima Beans this morning. Kitchen smelled so yummy. It made a huge amount though--if I'd been smarter, I'd have cut the recipe in half.

I didn't have any fresh mint. Does it make much difference?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

A while back I made a gf version of the lemon bundt as a loaf cake and recently I made the apple peanut butter caramel bars with gf gingerbread crumbs for the base instead of Graham crackers & the red lentil cauliflower curry - all delicious!

deearess wrote:
I just made a soy-free, gluten free version of the pumpkin baked ziti. Brown rice pasta, brown rice bread crumbs, soy-free eb and 1.5 cups of navy beans in place of the tofu in the cashew ricotta. I can't believe I've never tried this before. It is delicious and perfect on this cold, rainy day.

I want to make this!

molly wrote:
I made the Tamarind Lentils last night and they are SO GOOD.

Yes!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Chile cornmeal crusted tofu + southwestern corn pudding + green pumpkin seed mole = AWESOMENESS. I didn't even fry the tofu and it was so crispy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 32  Next