| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:54 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Lower fat chocolate bundt cake
Baby bok choy with crispy shallots and sesame seeds
Lemony roast potatoes
Chewy chocolate raspberry cookies
French lentil soup with tarragon and thyme
Creamy tomato soup
Smokey grilled tempeh
Creamy kalamata spread
Mushroom-walnut pate
Tamarind lentils
Creole stuffed peppers
Cauliflower mushroom potpie with black olive biscuit crust
And thats just to start!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the BBQ Tofu to go along w/Caulipots & Mango BBQ beans from AFR. So good! And almost embarrassingly easy. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

I just made a variation on Mac Daddy. I made a half batch, and added two jalapeños and half an onion. The creamy mac and cheese is a great counterpoint to the heat. Delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Lemon Coconut Bundt cake. I used light coconut milk though. I had to cut it up and freeze the rest because I was afraid I would eat it all! Absolutely delicious. The texture & flavor were perfect. I dusted powdered sugar on it, but I think that the next time I make it I'll make it a powdered sugar glaze to drizzle on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been wanting to make that lemon bundt cake for weeks and I never get around to it. Maybe this weekend!

I have Mac Daddy in the oven right now and I'm dying to eat it. I had to restrain myself from licking the bowl I mixed it up in.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:41 am 
So Totally Yiffy

mittenmacher wrote:
Best part: both of my aunts (one of whom has said that beef is her favorite seasoning) are going to BUY Veganomicon, that's how much they loved the lunch. Victory!

Love it!

I made the Walnut Mushroom Pate last night, it's totally delicious. Served it with my two current appetizer staples, Curried Carrot Dip and White Bean Aioli, and love the combination of the three. This one will be a staple as well, I'm sure.

This cookbook rules, that is all.

Melissa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 am 
Nailed to the V

I was feeling confident from my success with the Lemon Coconut Bundt Cake, and tried to make the Lower Fat Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake yesterday. The batter was very thin and some spilled out into the oven. It turned out to be edible (and delicious), but it's more like a very moist brownie than a cake. I have always been a pretty good baker, I don't know what went wrong. The only think I can think of is that maybe I didn't let the coffee/cocoa cool down enough before adding it. Maybe it thickens as it cools?
Any advice on this?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know, but I can tell you that I made it once without paying attention to any details, really, and it worked out fine. I'm not a very conscientious baker.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Masuphl, that would be my guess - that you didn't let the coffee and cocoa cool down enough before mixing. The recipe says room temperature. I made it again last weekend and it makes a lovely light cake with a cake-like crumb, if you know what I mean, not brownie-like at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks to both of you. I can't believe I didn't think about it thickening as it cools. Next time I will follow the directions. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:57 am 
Nailed to the V

After more thought, I realized that I used arrowroot instead of the cornstarch (can't eat corn). I believe the 2 can be easily interchanged, right?? Could that be the problem?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't think so, because I used cornstarch in mine and it worked out fine.

edited to add: errr... disregard. I read your post backward. So I guess the answer might be: Maybe!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

:D I am sure there must be something I can use instead of cornstarch. But now I have 2 clues as to what went wrong. I am determined to make this cake properly!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm glad I made the backyard bbq sauce today. I was planning on using it for a picnic tomorrow night and my friend is a pepper wimp. That stuff was hot to me so it would probably send him screaming for water. I will make another batch tomorrow sans the crushed red pepper. It was totally yum on those lentils though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:30 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Wow. I'm so stupid. I didn't for a minute realise that cornstarch (cornflour here) is made from actual corn. Doh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:47 am 

Just made the Tomato and roasted eggplant chickpea stew and it was just incredible. It was pure, gorgeous, simple, mediterranean comfort food. I reduced the oil down to 1 tbsp somehow, and it still worked perfectly. Served with poppyseed polenta and olives. So utterly wonderful. Has anyone else made this?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Creamy Tempeh and Asian Pear salad - so good. I had to sub chickpeas because The Fresh Market didn't have tempeh (???) but it worked fine. I love the wasabi in there, such a nice touch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:37 am 

I made the chickpeas romanesco and the saffron garlic rice yesterday.
I don't know where to start?! Lets just say it was so fantastic, that I kept eating more and more just to check it was as good as I thought it was (at least thats my excuse). Those saucy little chickpeas, that garlickly rice, Oh-my-god. Chickpeas are the bean that just KEEPS giving!
If you have not tried these recipes yet, please, please do! You don't know what your missing folks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

thegentlelentil wrote:
I made the chickpeas romanesco and the saffron garlic rice yesterday.
I don't know where to start?! Lets just say it was so fantastic, that I kept eating more and more just to check it was as good as I thought it was (at least thats my excuse). Those saucy little chickpeas, that garlickly rice, Oh-my-god. Chickpeas are the bean that just KEEPS giving!
If you have not tried these recipes yet, please, please do! You don't know what your missing folks!

Yes! I need to make those recipes again, I always neglect things I've made before and enjoyed with all the excitement of wanting to try new things! Not enough meals in a day!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't made the chickpeas romesco in forever! I know what I'm doing tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

You all have inspired me to get this book back out. I have had it for years but never use it. Everything in it seems so labor intensive. I have made:

Lentil tarragon soup ( I make this all the time, I love this soup!)
smlove pie (took forever to make!! but was awesome)
scalloped potatoes (did not like these, maybe I screwed up the recipe, it was like potatoes floating in soy milk)
Hummus (very good)
Easy Stir fried leafy greens (perfect recipe)
Ancho Lentil Soup (very good)
Chicpea Noodle Soup (very good, but used chicpea miso)
Spicy Peanut and Eggplant Soup
Leek and Bean Cassoulet (good)
Mustard Sauce(love this)
Chicpea Cutlets (good)
Jambalaya (no crazy about this but I don't like southern type food, so I should have known better)
Tomato Rice Soup with roasted garlic and navy beans (good, but I did not roast the garlic, silly me)

What are some easy, quick recipes that I can make? I have a 4month old baby and I have little time to cook. Also, I can't eat soy, he is allergic (god, I miss tofu, miso, and soy sauce!!!!).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:00 am 

For anyone who cares, I just went through the book again and I am such an idiot! There are plenty of quick and easy recipes in the book. I feel silly now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:15 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

thegentlelentil wrote:
Just made the Tomato and roasted eggplant chickpea stew and it was just incredible. It was pure, gorgeous, simple, mediterranean comfort food. I reduced the oil down to 1 tbsp somehow, and it still worked perfectly. Served with poppyseed polenta and olives. So utterly wonderful. Has anyone else made this?

I did, but it was weird, i only liked it okay right after i cooked it, but the leftovers were amazing. But i have noticed with dishes like that (stews with lots of layered flavors, and most soups) i like them better after they have cooled down a lot.

I should make that again...tis the season for eggplants and tomatos. super cheap at the markets during the summer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:28 pm 

I love this thread. I would never have made the Lentils and Spiced rice with carmelized onions if it was not for this thread. So anyway, I tried it tonight and it was one of the most incredible things I have tried in a long time. I loved it. Thanks to all of you who said it was good!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Bonnie480 wrote:
I love this thread. I would never have made the Lentils and Spiced rice with carmelized onions if it was not for this thread. So anyway, I tried it tonight and it was one of the most incredible things I have tried in a long time. I loved it. Thanks to all of you who said it was good!

Yum! That's one of my favorite things in the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next