| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 806 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:13 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just made the red lentil & cauliflower curry. Lovely! I definitely don't cook from Veganomicon enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:06 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Kittykins wrote:
Has anyone tried the lower fat banana bread?

It's one of my favorite recipes in the book, and that's saying a lot. I also add chocolate chips, and sometimes make it into muffins.

I know I'm slow to the party here, but I just made the mushroom walnut pate for NYE, and it lives up to it's reputation. I used it to make fancy canapés by piping it on little rye bread slices with arugula. Lovely!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:14 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I loved the banana bread recipe!! I added the choc chips too. :)

I am making the pumpkin ziti for an omni party at the end of the month. I have made it once before and loved it, but I am nervous! I had noted that it was easy to make, so that's helping me stay calm. :) There is a lot of pressure for it to be as good as it was the first time! I think it's the perfect thing to bring to a winter party.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:47 am 
Ninja Master

I don't cook from this book enough. I've got some (omni) friends coming over on Saturday and I think I'm going to try out the chickpeas romesco and maybe the lemon coconut bundt cake on them (if my tin arrives from amazon in time!!).

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:39 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I love those chickpeas. I like the garlic rice too with it, but don't find the portion size enough for us pigs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 pm 

The lemon coconut bundt cake is my favorite! I even used light coconut milk once and it still turned out so delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

we revisited the Lemony Roasted Potatoes last night and I love them so, so much. It's always a gamble though about how much liquid will be left over, sometimes it is much more than others and we always leave them in for way longer than 20 minutes after uncovering 'cause we like them a little hard around the edges. I guess some potatoes - even though we use Russets, as the recipe states - just have more starchiness than others to absorb the liquid. The leftovers (it does make a ton!) are great with a Greek-style tofu scramble in the morning too mmm.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:48 pm 
Ninja Master

Are the portions for the chickpeas fairly big? i'm cooking for me and 3 friends and they eat a lot. i never have leftovers when i cook for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:56 pm 
Ninja Master

Are the portions for the chickpeas fairly big? i'm cooking for me and 3 friends and they eat a lot. i never have leftovers when i cook for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:14 am 
Ninja Master

My friends loved the chickpeas romesco and saffron rice. There were no leftovers. My bundt tin didnt arrive so i made the coconut lemon cake in a regular cake tin. i burnt it a bit but it was still delicious. I'll be making all of this again, it was awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So I made the blueberry cornmeal pancakes today, and the batter came out super watery. Are the proportions right? I ended up adding an extra 1/2 cup flour, and I still could've added more. Has anyone else had this problem?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:00 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

masuphl wrote:
The lemon coconut bundt cake is my favorite! I even used light coconut milk once and it still turned out so delicious!

I love this recipe! I was thinking today that I should make it again and maybe add some of the wild blueberries I found in my freezer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:10 am 
WELFARIST!

I can't believe it took me this long to finally make chickpea cutlets. They are so addictive!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 am 

vgnwitch wrote:
masuphl wrote:

I love this recipe! I was thinking today that I should make it again and maybe add some of the wild blueberries I found in my freezer.

I have blueberries in my freezer! That's such a great idea!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:21 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Freetahtah wrote:
I also am in the process of making the Seitanic Red and White Bean Jambalaya, but after sticking it in the oven for 30 minutes, my white rice was still very raw, and I didn't think another 5-10 minutes was going to make a dent in it, so I moved it to the stovetop where it's simmering away now. Hopefully it turns out, because it smells really good!

I just made the jambalaya tonight and had the same problem! I used brown rice, but I had it in the oven for almost an hour! Finally my roommate and I got sick of waiting and just ate it with slightly tough rice. Still delicious.

Does anyone have any tips for this? Could the reason be because I cook at high altitude (Colorado springs)?

I adore this cookbook! It was my first purchase when I became a vegan and I am still learning from it a year later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:42 am 
Not NOT A Furry

starrynight87 wrote:
So I made the blueberry cornmeal pancakes today, and the batter came out super watery. Are the proportions right? I ended up adding an extra 1/2 cup flour, and I still could've added more. Has anyone else had this problem?

All (or most) of Isa's pancake recipes have a fairly high liquid ratio so the batter is supposed to be rather liquidy (so you pour the pancakes instead of dolloping them into the skillet) in comparison to other recipes out there. Isn't the basic ratio 1c flour to 1 1/3 cup liquid? I think it appears in several of her pancake recipes. Anyway, the recipes always worked out just fine for me.

Did you have trouble with the batter i.e. the pancakes being too thin or not cooking properly?

It always help to let the batter sit for a while, it thickens up some and the gluten gets activated as well so they hold together better.

Preparing the batter in the evening and then resting it in the fridge overnight has worked really well for me and it's great to be able to make fresh pancakes first thing in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I cannot stop making the Wheat Free Cookies. I throw in some pecans and they're usually gone in less than a week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:43 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Victoire wrote:
Freetahtah wrote:
I also am in the process of making the Seitanic Red and White Bean Jambalaya, but after sticking it in the oven for 30 minutes, my white rice was still very raw, and I didn't think another 5-10 minutes was going to make a dent in it, so I moved it to the stovetop where it's simmering away now. Hopefully it turns out, because it smells really good!

I just made the jambalaya tonight and had the same problem! I used brown rice, but I had it in the oven for almost an hour! Finally my roommate and I got sick of waiting and just ate it with slightly tough rice. Still delicious.

Does anyone have any tips for this? Could the reason be because I cook at high altitude (Colorado springs)?

I adore this cookbook! It was my first purchase when I became a vegan and I am still learning from it a year later.

Nah, brown rice just takes FOREVER. I made it recently with brown rice, I think it was in the oven for a little over an hour.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've been trying to make recipes from cookbooks I've had for a while, plus it's cold outside, so I made the Spicy Peanut and Eggplant Stew. It is incredible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fatcat wrote:
I've been trying to make recipes from cookbooks I've had for a while, plus it's cold outside, so I made the Spicy Peanut and Eggplant Stew. It is incredible.

This is probably my favorite Vcon recipe. I make it a little spicier and serve it over jasmine rice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:28 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

i made the taramind lentils twice in three days. my new favourite recipe!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:26 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I can't believe it took me this long to finally make chickpea cutlets. They are so addictive!

I adore the cutlets. They freeze so well and are super delicious in a sandwhich!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

starrynight87 wrote:

I made them during the summer and didn't have any problem with cooking them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies cooling (and quickly disappearing) on my counter. So good. Why did I wait so long to try these?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just made my first mac n cheese using the Mac Daddy recipe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 806 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 33  Next