Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

Veganomicon
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1438
Page 16 of 36

Author:  LisaPunk [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

here is a good anecdote for everyone.
i got this book last xmas i believe. im very intimidated by it for some reason but ive flipped through it alot and made 1-2 things.
everytime i flip through i see the tangerine baked tofu and i ALWAYS read it as "nectarine" baked tofu.
i LOVE nectarines
so recently i decided to make this magical "nectarine" baked tofu.
i looked at the recipe several times to get the ingredients and read through it.
i went out and bought three nectarines.
i read the recipe again as i was making it and continually referred back to it while preparing.

I SQUEEZED THREE NECTARINES which is no easy task.

i like to write in my cookbooks what i thought about the recipe and any tips i have. so after i ate it i went back to the recipe AGAIN and wrote that it was good but a bit of a pain to make since you have to squeeze nectarines, a semi hard fruit.


i took my lil bookmark/page saver out and closed the book and then realized i also wanted to write that i had only cooked it 35 mins instead of 45 mins before the marinade started to really burn to the pan (i still have not gotta that damn pan clean) and then AND ONLY THEN when i couldnt find the recipe in the index did i realize it was TANGERINE baked tofu.

I. AM. A. MORON.

that being said the nectarine baked tofu tasted pretty good!

Author:  Arlyss [ Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

Tonight, I made the Almost All American Seitan Pot Pie. I think I messed up the seitan again (I boiled the broth before I added the seitan instead of starting it in cold broth). It was a bit spongy. Though maybe that's normal for seitan. The vegetable mix was probably the best part, even though I didn't have any dry mustard. (My daughter cleaned out my spice cabinet and threw away stuff she thought was too old). Anyhow, I think it has turned out okay and will be posting a picture in the food porn section.

Author:  Beanitarian [ Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

LisaPunk wrote:
here is a good anecdote for everyone.
i got this book last xmas i believe. im very intimidated by it for some reason but ive flipped through it alot and made 1-2 things.
everytime i flip through i see the tangerine baked tofu and i ALWAYS read it as "nectarine" baked tofu.
i LOVE nectarines
so recently i decided to make this magical "nectarine" baked tofu.
i looked at the recipe several times to get the ingredients and read through it.
i went out and bought three nectarines.
i read the recipe again as i was making it and continually referred back to it while preparing.

I SQUEEZED THREE NECTARINES which is no easy task.

i like to write in my cookbooks what i thought about the recipe and any tips i have. so after i ate it i went back to the recipe AGAIN and wrote that it was good but a bit of a pain to make since you have to squeeze nectarines, a semi hard fruit.


i took my lil bookmark/page saver out and closed the book and then realized i also wanted to write that i had only cooked it 35 mins instead of 45 mins before the marinade started to really burn to the pan (i still have not gotta that damn pan clean) and then AND ONLY THEN when i couldnt find the recipe in the index did i realize it was TANGERINE baked tofu.

I. AM. A. MORON.

that being said the nectarine baked tofu tasted pretty good!


Haha! That's hilarious, especially the squeezing. I've totally done things like that--it's funny (and sometimes scary) how once our minds make a mistake, it is easy to repeat it over and over. I'm glad it turned out for all that work, but I'm guessing you won't be recommending the variation for Isa's new cookbook? ;)

Author:  Rhizopus Oligosporus [ Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

LisaPunk, you just love nectarines so much you are determined to see them even if they aren't there! I made a similar mistake with the v'con Asparagus Spinach Dip. Somehow I read artichoke instead of asparagus and didn't realize my mistake until I was in the middle of cooking and like well it's too late now, I guess I'm making a variation on this recipe. It turned out quite well, fortunately.

Author:  Jennilyn329 [ Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

I've decided I need a project, and I want to make EVERYTHING out of the Veganomicon cook book. It would really help if anyone knows where I can get the 3 page errata for it... I've googled and searched and all I can find is broken links.

I've even thought of contacting the publisher...

Author:  mel b [ Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

I am about 5-6 recipes away from having made everything - it's a fun project! I didn't bother looking up the errata and didn't notice anything too crazy go on with the dishes...

Author:  kimba [ Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

I made snobby joes for dinner tonight and now I am feeling superior. Weird side effect.

Author:  parkerk [ Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

The Samosa Stuffed Baked Potatoes have become my go-to potluck dish. I seem to collect friends with dietary restrictions and allergies, and these are pretty well perfect for everyone – no soy, no nuts, no wheat AND people rave about them. Plus you can make them ahead and they’re still good cold or room-temperature.

Author:  Gnoe [ Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

parkerk wrote:
The Samosa Stuffed Baked Potatoes have become my go-to potluck dish. I seem to collect friends with dietary restrictions and allergies, and these are pretty well perfect for everyone – no soy, no nuts, no wheat AND people rave about them. Plus you can make them ahead and they’re still good cold or room-temperature.

Looking them up *right now*! I have a potluck to go to tomorrow... ;) But I actually already decided which dishes to bring (lentil salad, carrot spread and pide bread - none from V'con I'm afraid).

Author:  Victoire [ Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

i finally made the blueberry corn pancakes from the brunch section. i've been eyeing them for a while but i thought they would be a lot of work. i was so wrong!!! they were easy and incredibly delicious! my new favorite pancake recipe.

Author:  PoesiePie [ Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

Similar revelation here, Victoire. I finally made the leek and white bean dish with biscuit topping after looking at it for years. I don't know why I thought it would be so annoying to put together. It was easy and delicious.

Author:  kimba [ Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

I made the most delicious yuca fondue sauce inspired by the grilled yuca tortillas. It is basically the same recipe for the grilled yuca tortillas, without the tortillas. I used the sweet potato variation, without the black beans, and 1 can of coconut milk and kept adding water and cooking it down and mashing (I cooked it for a long time, probably longer than needed because I wanted it to be warm when my guests arrived, but a couple hours maybe). I also tripled the spices (salt, white pepper, cumin). I also added maybe 1/4 c nutritional yeast. It was so good, we had it at a veggie potluck and it got a lot of compliments! We dipped bread and cauliflower in it. I wish I had taken a picture.

Author:  zwingtip [ Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

The individual heart-shaped galettes are So. Good. My grandmother's allergic to apples so I made them with asian pear and cranberry relish instead of apples and apricot jam and they were still amazing.

Author:  sillyred [ Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

I love giving those apple galettes for christmas! Everyone always loves them.

mel b wrote:
I am about 5-6 recipes away from having made everything - it's a fun project! I didn't bother looking up the errata and didn't notice anything too crazy go on with the dishes...


Wow, is that including all the variations? I really should branch out. I make the same recipes in this cookbook over and over but it's because everyone I try is an instant favorite.

Author:  mel b [ Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

Including *most* of the variations...I was borrowing an ice cream maker so I didn't try all of those, just the vanilla, and I think there are a couple cookie variations I don't plan on doing either. It's fun, and oooohhh so delicious. Made the Pumpkin Streusal Cake last night!

sillyred wrote:
I love giving those apple galettes for christmas! Everyone always loves them.

mel b wrote:
I am about 5-6 recipes away from having made everything - it's a fun project! I didn't bother looking up the errata and didn't notice anything too crazy go on with the dishes...


Wow, is that including all the variations? I really should branch out. I make the same recipes in this cookbook over and over but it's because everyone I try is an instant favorite.

Author:  Jennilyn329 [ Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

We made the tempeh shepardess pie. It was yummy. Very woodsy - but in a good way.

Author:  bodhi [ Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

Has anyone frozen the asparagus quiche (which uses walnuts and white beans) successfully? I know I'd be the only one eating it, so I don't want to have too much and not be able to freeze the extra.

Author:  Beanitarian [ Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

I made the mac daddy last night--not sure why I hadn't tried it before, but it was awesome. I was a little bit dubious, as the sauce seemed a little too simple or something (I'm used to tofu or cashew-based sauces), but I'm so glad I tried it. I am also glad I made a half batch, though, as a half batch was enough for 4 generous servings.

Author:  PugMom [ Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

Samosa potatoes. So good. I made some for a family dinner tomorrow and had to eat one they smelled and looked so good. Now I am trying not to eat another. I think this is going to be pretty popular in my house for a while.

Author:  amonik [ Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

I find myself adding more salt to nearly everything. Am I just way too fond of salt?

Author:  LazySmurf [ Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

Beanitarian wrote:
I made the mac daddy last night--not sure why I hadn't tried it before, but it was awesome. I was a little bit dubious, as the sauce seemed a little too simple or something (I'm used to tofu or cashew-based sauces), but I'm so glad I tried it. I am also glad I made a half batch, though, as a half batch was enough for 4 generous servings.

That's our favorite recipe for Mac & Cheese at my house!! We always do a breadcrumb topping too.

Author:  PugMom [ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

I am making the tamales right now. They are actually steaming. I am having a hard time waiting. Anybody else make these and did you have any filling left over? I have quite a bit. Not complaining. Thinking of having it for lunch tomorrow over a baked yam.

Author:  creep [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

amonik wrote:
I find myself adding more salt to nearly everything. Am I just way too fond of salt?


Probably just personal taste. I usually add less than the recipes call for, sometimes none at all.

Author:  veggiepalooza [ Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

Cauliflower and mushroom potpie with black olive crust is 5 minutes away from being done. I wish I was a faster cook, it takes me forever!

Author:  VeganMeredith [ Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Veganomicon

I want to make the broccoli-potato soup with fresh herbs, but I'm on a super limited budget and can't really afford to "splurge" on fresh herbs and I'm out of dried thyme (which is called for). Any suggestions for good dried herb combinations for this soup?

Page 16 of 36 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/