| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:53 am 
Ninja Master

Does anyone have problems with the lemon coconut bundt cake? I've made it twice and both times it's burnt! First time I made it in a regular tin as I didn't have a bundt pan and the top was a little burnt.

This time I had the tin, so I set the oven for an hour but checked it after 40 minutes and it was overcooked and a bit burnt. When I turned it out the sides were burnt too! GAH.

Maybe our oven is just too fierce and next time I make it, I'll turn the oven down, but it's annoying, because I really like the cake - burny bits aside!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 am 
Nailed to the V

baps wrote:
Does anyone have problems with the lemon coconut bundt cake? I've made it twice and both times it's burnt! First time I made it in a regular tin as I didn't have a bundt pan and the top was a little burnt.

This time I had the tin, so I set the oven for an hour but checked it after 40 minutes and it was overcooked and a bit burnt. When I turned it out the sides were burnt too! GAH.

Maybe our oven is just too fierce and next time I make it, I'll turn the oven down, but it's annoying, because I really like the cake - burny bits aside!

I've made this cake at least 4 times. I have an oven thermometer and made sure the temp was correct, and it still took MUCH less time than it lists on the recipe. I can always smell it and tell that it's close to being ready, so thankfully I've never burned it. It's my favorite cake and I watch it very carefully when it's baking. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am 
Ninja Master

Yeah I'm gonna definitely try again and turn the oven down and only cook it for half an hour then check it.

In fact, I think I might have a thermometer somewhere, I'll have to dig it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've made that cake 2-3 times and don't remember having to change anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

creep wrote:
I've made that cake 2-3 times and don't remember having to change anything.

I've made it about 4 times and haven't changed anything except I baked it in a 9x13 baking pan cuz I didn't have a bunt, always turned out perfect. I just got a bunt pan and will be making this cake again soon because it is one of my faves!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:20 am 
Ninja Master

It must be my oven then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:24 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I've never had any problems with it baps but I have an oven thermometer. I love that cake, I need to make it again soon.

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 am 
Ninja Master

It is good! I will try and find my thermometer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:44 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the chocolate walnut cookies but using the white choc cherry varation, sooo yummy! I only made half a batch since it was just me eating them but now I wish I had made a whole batch, probably a good thing I didn't though :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:02 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Just wanted to chime in on the lemon coconut bundt cake: 1) made it a bunch of times and never had any problems; 2) it's even better if you add blueberries!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:26 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I made the rustic white beans and mushrooms last night. I'm...not sure about them. The only feedback online seems to be how amazing they are, and to be fair my omni dad liked them more than I did, but I found them pretty bland.

I'm French, so the undeniable French-ness of these made me really want to love them. Alas.

I admit I didn't serve them with the tomato couscous as suggested, because that combination seemed odd to me, but maybe I should just trust Isa & Terry and make some to go with the leftovers. Unless someone else has other ideas for tricking out these beans?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

illogicalthings wrote:
I made the rustic white beans and mushrooms last night. I'm...not sure about them. The only feedback online seems to be how amazing they are, and to be fair my omni dad liked them more than I did, but I found them pretty bland.

I'm French, so the undeniable French-ness of these made me really want to love them. Alas.

I admit I didn't serve them with the tomato couscous as suggested, because that combination seemed odd to me, but maybe I should just trust Isa & Terry and make some to go with the leftovers. Unless someone else has other ideas for tricking out these beans?

That's one of my favorite things in the book, and I've never made the tomato couscous. Maybe you just don't like them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:01 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

creep wrote:
That's one of my favorite things in the book, and I've never made the tomato couscous. Maybe you just don't like them.

I think that might be the case. I don't want to give up on them just yet though, because I don't think they taste bad. The flavours are nice, I just can't eat more than a few bites without feeling like something's missing.

I'm kind of determined to find a way to serve them that I enjoy. It's weirdly frustrating to read a recipe and think 'yes I'll love this!'...then you don't. =P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Over mashed potatoes?! You could probably serve a turd over mashed potatoes and it would be good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:58 am 
Ninja Master

creep wrote:
You could probably serve a turd over mashed potatoes and it would be good.

Truth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

illogicalthings wrote:

I thought this recipe sounded good so I made it today. I loved the beans! I didn't have any leeks, so I left those out, and I didn't discard the onions/carrots/celery but diced them instead (discarding veggies makes me sad). Next time I'll double the mushrooms.

I had it with the tomato couscous (without capers) and I think it went well together. So if you don't want to go the mashed potatoes route, the tomato couscous is definitely a good idea. It's a very quick recipe!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:36 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

creep wrote:
You could probably serve a turd over mashed potatoes and it would be good.

Haha, very true.

Shukriyya wrote:
I thought this recipe sounded good so I made it today. I loved the beans! I didn't have any leeks, so I left those out, and I didn't discard the onions/carrots/celery but diced them instead (discarding veggies makes me sad). Next time I'll double the mushrooms.

I had it with the tomato couscous (without capers) and I think it went well together. So if you don't want to go the mashed potatoes route, the tomato couscous is definitely a good idea. It's a very quick recipe!

Thanks for weighing in! I almost made the couscous last night, then I realised I didn't have all the ingredients and got lazy. In the meantime, my dad ate all the leftover beans. Must try the two together next time though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:32 am 
Semen Strong

Has anyone made the chewy oatmeal raisin cookies? There just seems to be way less liquid than I'd think you need (1/3 brown cup rice syrup, 1/3 c soymilk, 1/2c oil) to 2.333 c flour and 2 cups oatmeal. But I'm no baker.

Just wanted to confirm before I put in a ton of time and ingredients.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I've made them! I remember they tasted kinda "healthy" if that makes sense, but I don't remember them being too dry or anything.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks! Its snowy and cold and I think oatmeal raisin cookies are perfect for days like today, but a bad cookie is a sad waste of ingredients and todder distraction time :)

I'm thinking of subbing applesauce for some of the oil, which may make it even more healthy and cakey...

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:01 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Last night my husband & I made the kale and potato enchiladas. I had made them before (by myself) and thought they were too much work, but it was a reasonable effort for two people. Three changes: I doubled the sauce, added black beans to the filling, and topped it with the pine nut crema from Viva Vegan. One of the best meals I've ever made!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The chickpea cutlets with the lemony roasted potatoes and a side of roasted asparagus is perfect. I love the little blurbs in the beginning of the recipes with food pairing recommendations.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2173726-bridgette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

It's freeeeezing cold here today all I can think about is going home to my Vcon Snobby Joes!! It's the perfect night for them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:58 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the Seitan Piccata with Olives and Green Beans last night. Really good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Wow Mojo, that looks amazingly delicious!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next