| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the italian marinated tofu for the first time a couple of days ago, with regular red wine instead of white cooking wine. It was so good! Think I'll use the leftover marinade to marinate some soy curls.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:24 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Was looking for a Brussels sprouts recipe and made Braised Seitan w/ Brussels, Kale and Sun Dried Tomatoes last night. It was so goodd we just about licked the pot. I didn't need to add any more seasoning. It was perfect. Just a touch of tarragon was the perfect amount. I used dry vermouth instead of red wine. This shot right up to the top of my favorites list. Has anyone blanched and frozen fresh brussels sprouts? I get a hugh bag from Costco and would like to save them. Any suggestions? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 am 
WELFARIST!

How have I never made the black bean burgers before? They were so easy! (Except for grating the onion...which I had to do with my eyes closed for all of the juices released.) They cooked up beautifully. The only thing I changed was adding a tsp of salt since the recipe doesn't call for any and I was afraid they'd be bland. I ate these two ways: first I just ate one straight up and schmeared with some of Isa's red hot tahini sauce and then a raw kale salad. To die! And then I took one into work and made it into a sandwich with garlic bread as the base. Added tomato, lettuce, and the red hot tahini sauce...I have never...it was just amazing.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:44 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

So I made the Jamaican Shepherd's Pie yesterday, but I left out the mashed yuca topping and served it as a curry instead, over tricolor quinoa and greens. Wow! I loved this! I admit, I didn't have the highest expectations for this, but I made it because I had a bunch of the ingredients on hand that needed using. So good, and awesome as leftovers!

Up next, the infamous Coconut-Lemon Bundt Cake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This week was the first time I've made the Cauliflower and Mushroom Pot Pie w/ Olive Crust and we looooooooooooooved it! So savory and the olive-y crust was delish. I had bought some of that funky cool romesco cauliflower--the light green broccoli hybrid with neat spiral shapes--and it was the perfect thing to make with it.

I can't wait to make this recipe again!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

beethecookie wrote:
Up next, the infamous Coconut-Lemon Bundt Cake!

Just made this! So good!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

The first meal I cooked for my new omni manfriend (who basically only eats meat and cheese and pasta, ugh) was Snobby Joes because I figured they would at least be a familiar flavor and he really liked them! Whenever I think of what food I should feed a picky omni, I think of what food I would feed a picky child, and it almost always works.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i made the roasted eggplant & spinach muffaletta (with olive tapenade, etc..) and even made my own focaccia bread to serve the sandwich on. omni hubby really enjoyed it. big servings, we had it for dinner twice. sadly, i had a minor allergic reaction and i think i may be allergic to eggplant so i won't be making the sandwich again :( but for those of y'all who haven't tried it, i highly recommend it, it was a bit of work and the kitchen got trashed making it, but it was well worth it, allergic reaction and all ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:00 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have the backyard BBQ sauce on the stove .... Always makes the house smell amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:14 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Made the lemony potatoes again last night to go with a random "Greek" dish I made with gigantes and chard. Still one of my favourites.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:52 am 
Saggy Butt

I've got a q about the hot-sauce glazed tempeh.
What kind of hot sauce is best to use? I've only got sriracha and tabasco?
Will either of those do?

Hope so, planning an epic meal tonight:
Hot-sauce glazed tempeh
Skillet cornbread
Refried Beans
Sour cilantro cream
Avo Salad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:59 am 
Ninja Master

greenknittinggal wrote:
Will either of those do?

I made it with sriracha and it was blow ya head off hot, although my chilli tolerance has increased since then but still, 3 tbsp or whatever it was of sriracha - mighty spicy. I think it's meant to be franks or something like that.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:44 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Speaking of the hot sauce-glazed tempeh, would it work with tofu as well?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 am 
WELFARIST!

baps wrote:
greenknittinggal wrote:
Will either of those do?

I made it with sriracha and it was blow ya head off hot, although my chilli tolerance has increased since then but still, 3 tbsp or whatever it was of sriracha - mighty spicy. I think it's meant to be franks or something like that.

Yes, indeed, it's meant to be something like Frank's hot sauce (I was a tester for this book and that was the preferred sauce to use for testing).

I haven't tried it with tofu, Love Child, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as a BBQ type sauce to glaze your tofu with.

The grilled tempeh with hot sauce is one of my favorite tempeh recipes. So toothsome, juicy, flavorful and good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:30 am 
Ninja Master

I need to make it again because I have Franks now! All I will say is I was glad I left the jalapeno out of the corn gravy thing I made to go with it that day!! Yowch.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:38 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

baps wrote:
I need to make it again because I have Franks now! All I will say is I was glad I left the jalapeno out of the corn gravy thing I made to go with it that day!! Yowch.

I made the Hot-sauce Tempeh with tofu and tabasco, and it worked with the tofu, but oh man the tabasco was so hot, it was inedible for me! I'm a hot sauce wuss though.

Same for me on the corn gravy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:29 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I made it with Tabasco and even my dad thought it was perhaps slightly too hot. He dumps half a bottle* of tabasco + crushed red pepper on everything he eats.

*he goes through the Costco size by himself in only a couple months.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:21 am 
Saggy Butt

Potato rolls = bakery *perfection*

My cold and tired omni family returned last nite from a long evening of sports (wrestling for my teenager, and my husband spent several hours on a cold and foggy baseball field (he's a high school umpire)).

They were greeted by fresh-from-the-oven potato rolls with the warm and creamy and unparalleled Chickpea Stew w/Kale from the blog (cannot get enough of this soup) - and they were NOT disappointed. Ooohs and aahs as they pulled and stretched and chomped through the soft and savory, golden-crowned, poppy-flecked poofs of majesty.

It was indeed a little laborious to clip and roll thru 72 walnut-sized balls, which together baked up into 24 glorious gems (so THAT's how they do it! Neato), yet OH so worth it - especially to pull the hot pan out of the oven before hungry eyes - but also to recall and relive the glory while enjoying one this morning (EB'd and nooch'd) with a side of coffee.

Definitely inspired to try more of the breads - I feel like a seasoned pro because of the perfection of this recipe (and the Costco bulk-size yeast I bought last week definitely changes the previous mindset of "I only have two little wimpy envelopes of yeast I must protect/keep on hand, just in case, so better not venture out"). Incroyable!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:34 am 
Saggy Butt

Keep meaning to make that creamy chickpea soup!
And I haven't made those potato rolls but I love how pro baking bread makes me feel!

P.S made the hot sauce tempeh the other night as planned, thanks for all the responses and ended up using some tabasco (but not in nearly the same quantities as listed) It was delish and not too spicy for me at all ( I erred on the side of caution..), the skillet cornbread was great too (love the crust it gets from the cast iron) as was the cilantro sour cream :) Another winner meal from vcon!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I accidentally ordered this today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

daisychain wrote:
I accidentally ordered this today.

Ugh. HATE accidents like that!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Got this book from the library and the first thing I have made was Snobby Joes. I served them to omni's and everyone loved them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:49 am 
WELFARIST!

I made the jelly donut cupcakes the other day and they were a complete failure. The jelly didn't sink and it kind of just exploded all over the place and the cupcakes were hard and dense. What happened???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:24 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made hot sauce-glazed tofu today! Just pressed, marinated and then baked. Really good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I made the jelly donut cupcakes the other day and they were a complete failure. The jelly didn't sink and it kind of just exploded all over the place and the cupcakes were hard and dense. What happened???

That's a shame. Those always turn out perfect for me even though the jelly doesn't sink when I make them either. Could your oven have been too hot?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next