| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

V'con is mentioned in today's Washington Post Sunday style section, on a page featuring 17 great wedding gift ideas!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

zinnia wrote:
V'con is mentioned in today's Washington Post Sunday style section, on a page featuring 17 great wedding gift ideas!

Right on! I agree - what a great, solid library of recipes. Almost thinking of getting for my bro and his fiancée (both of whom are omnis, but both of whom need to learn to do some cooking - and why not vegan?!).

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

An extremely wonderful angel brought me agar powder. I hope to make delicious lemon bars. But a couple questions:

Lemon bars call for 3tbs flakes, so how much powder should I use? I know I need less.

What can I use to sub arrowroot? Is cornstarch an acceptable sub for this recipe? If so, that means delicious lemon bars soon! If not, they must wait for a couple more days.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Cornstarch is usually interchangeable with arrowroot, but don't they specifically say not to substitute powder for flakes? Or vice versa?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:53 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

you should use 3 teaspoons of powder. it's usually a 1:3 ratio of powder to flakes. cornstarch will work, but the bars may not be a little less clear since cornstarch is more cloudy.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
Cornstarch is usually interchangeable with arrowroot, but don't they specifically say not to substitute powder for flakes? Or vice versa?

I just double checked and didn't see anyone's of that nature?

Thanks ijdi! Lemon bars cometh :)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the smlove pie for my wedding anniversary and it is incredibly delicious and decadent. I did make a few minor alterations: an oreo crust; amaretto in the filling; cornstarch instead of arrowroot. Everything came out perfectly and it looked awesome.

Although it does take time to make, bake, chill etc., each of the parts is actually really easy so I didn't feel like it took that much work. I'm thinking that the filling would be awesome with kirsch and topped with cream and cherries. Actually the possible variations of that recipe are basically endless :) Can't believe it took me so long to finally make it!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
I made the smlove pie for my wedding anniversary and it is incredibly delicious and decadent. I did make a few minor alterations: an oreo crust; amaretto in the filling; cornstarch instead of arrowroot. Everything came out perfectly and it looked awesome.

Although it does take time to make, bake, chill etc., each of the parts is actually really easy so I didn't feel like it took that much work. I'm thinking that the filling would be awesome with kirsch and topped with cream and cherries. Actually the possible variations of that recipe are basically endless :) Can't believe it took me so long to finally make it!

This is one I have been wanting to make forever, but the recipe scares me, because I am lazy and it looks like a HELL of a lot of work.

Oreo crust...hmm that sounds really good. I see those all the time at the store, and they are vegan. Good time saver.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:48 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oh, I wish we could buy stuff like that here but I had to make mine. Super easy though; I did it in the food processor :)
I've had that recipe on my list for years too so I'm glad I finally did it! It's totally worth the effort to make all the parts at least once, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:16 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

A while ago I tried Lemon Coconut Bundt Cake and Lower-Fat Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake. Both came out really nice!

The Lemon Coconut Bundt {pic below} was awesome! Just mind blowing!

Lemon Coconut Bundt Cake by Sonia U, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

What a cool pic!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:34 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Wow! That picture looks like it belongs in a magazine. Stunning!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My husband decided he wants the coconut lemon bundt cake for his birthday, but we're moving in a week and I've already packed my bundt pan. Do you guys think it's enough batter to make in a 9x13 dish instead?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

creep wrote:
My husband decided he wants the coconut lemon bundt cake for his birthday, but we're moving in a week and I've already packed my bundt pan. Do you guys think it's enough batter to make in a 9x13 dish instead?

I am no expert, but I have made this cake several times. My guess would be that it would work in a 9x13 pan. It always seems like a lot of batter when I pour it into the bundt pan.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'll do it either way, just wasn't sure if I should double it. I've made it a couple times in a bundt pan, but it's hard to guess by looking at it.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:

If anyone else ever needs to know, the recipe as-is was plenty to fill a 9x13 dish. Baked for 30 minutes and it looks perfect.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:25 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I luckily have all the ingredients for the lemon bars (a miracle, since I'm moving in two weeks, so I'm out of everything!), and I'm making them as a thank you for the office staff at the school where I teach.

Just one question, If I make and cut the lemon bars the night before, will I be all right to bring them in the next day? Or should I leave the lemon bars uncut until the morning?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:32 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I think it would be fine to cut the lemon bars beforehand. That's such a great recipe!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:32 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Personally, I would leave them uncut and undusted with powdered sugar until the last possible moment. Dust then slice right before serving if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I finally made the moussaka with pine nut cream. I had it with tomato & cucumber salad & the lemon dressing that Isa recommends to have it with. OMG. Amazing. How have I managed to wait this long to make this? My BF was well impressed. Hurrah for left overs. I can't wait until tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

And the moussaka is even better the next day, as I recall. I wish I had that in my fridge right now - I'm jealous!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:04 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

emmalv wrote:
And the moussaka is even better the next day, as I recall. I wish I had that in my fridge right now - I'm jealous!

How exciting. I'll have to keep out of the fridge until tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:15 am 
Nailed to the V

my grocery store had apricots for 1.67 a lb, so i kind of went crazy overboard and bought 13lbs LOL! I made apricot bbq sauce (with hickory), I think next time might make a batch with mesquite liquid smoke and see which one i like better. i am def. going to can some, while apricots are still so disgustingly cheap so in the winter time i can have delicious baked tofu/tempeh with apricot sauce.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:23 am 
Ninja Master

I made the edamame / corn salad a couple of weeks ago for a barbecue and my parents are now obsessed with it. They've asked me to make it 2 more times when we've had barbecues. I made a massive batch (doubled it) yesterday so today I have leftovers for lunch. yum.

Also I messed with the chickpea cutlet recipe. I used black beans instead of chickpeas and I swapped out the spices for a tsp each (ish) of cumin, coriander, oregano and a bit of chili powder. They were GOOD. My dad binned the leftovers by mistake and I'm so gutted, they would have gone perfectly with the avocado sitting in my kitchen right now.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:42 am 
Nailed to the V

baps wrote:
I made the edamame / corn salad a couple of weeks ago for a barbecue and my parents are now obsessed with it. They've asked me to make it 2 more times when we've had barbecues. I made a massive batch (doubled it) yesterday so today I have leftovers for lunch. yum.

Also I messed with the chickpea cutlet recipe. I used black beans instead of chickpeas and I swapped out the spices for a tsp each (ish) of cumin, coriander, oregano and a bit of chili powder. They were GOOD. My dad binned the leftovers by mistake and I'm so gutted, they would have gone perfectly with the avocado sitting in my kitchen right now.

but everything else is the same?
that sounds GOOD. with some avo-lemon pesto i think i might make this!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 32  Next