| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:12 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Imogen wrote:
I made the pine nut and aubergine moussaka for dinner last night (and lunch today, and probably dinner again tonight!) but without courgette because I didn't have any, and it was delicious! I haven't made moussaka since going vegan, so I was really happy to try this recipe.

I can't believe I haven't made this yet! It sounds fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:40 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Its very good, but I found you really need to double the pine nut cream!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:47 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

otherdimension wrote:
Its very good, but I found you really need to double the pine nut cream!

Good to know!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:53 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'll add in my two cents!

This book is fantastic! So far I have made the focaccia bread, chickpea cutlets (with mustard sauce), and lasagna with cashew ricotta (and optional pine nut cream).

Prepare to be blown away!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:

Lower Fat Chocolate Bundt. OMG so good.

I got the Nordicware bundt pan that Garrick bought a few years ago, because when I saw it, I lusted after it hardcore for about a year before having B get it for me for Christmas.

It was simple enough that Leela is convinced that she made it herself and she is SO proud.

Bundt pan envy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:34 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Jinaiya wrote:
I'll add in my two cents!

This book is fantastic! So far I have made the focaccia bread, chickpea cutlets (with mustard sauce), and lasagna with cashew ricotta (and optional pine nut cream).

Prepare to be blown away!

The cashew ricotta is seriously one of the best things I've ever eaten.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:13 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So yesterday my buddy and i were hanging out, making sushi. I brought out Vconn for the sushi rice instructions. He thought the title was funny- he said it sounded like a magic book that veganizes food. For example, you go to someone's house, and they only have non-veg food to eat. Then you bring out Vegonomicon, say some magic words, and there it is! The food is magically vegan.
Maybe Vconn isn't a magical book that magically turns food vegan, but it's about the closest thing i have discovered. So far.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Ok, I am about to foray into the world of making seitan, again. The first time I made in for the seitanic jambalaya, and it was definitely squishy/spongey/brainy. But AP convinced me long ago to make the baked cutlets and I've decided tonight is the night.

Since fambly will be eating meats, I'm going to freeze the leftovers. I'm assuming flat freezing and keeping separated with parchment is the route to go here, but I've never dealt with this sort of thing so want to check.

What about reheating? Just thaw and cook however I want?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Hey Moon, your freezing strategy for seitan sounds fine. I usually freeze my seitan in two old Earth Balance tubs (so each frozen portion will have enough seitan to serve anywhere between four to six persons--and I can just remove the tub with the frozen seitan in it to thaw in the fridge overnight before I use it.) To thaw, you can just thaw in the fridge or on the countertop and cook however you like.

If you keep having problems with brainy seitan, the baked cutlets might be the way to go--baking will control the heat and minimize braininess and steaming might be another option. Good luck! Seitan making gets easier once you get the hang!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have become a big fan of steaming seitan. The other way I haven't tried yet, but seems intriguing, is to braise, so you get the slow heat of the oven with the moistness of cooking in liquid.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Those Bundt pans are worth the extra cost. I've never had a less than perfect cake. My old pan was a pita and caused many tears.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:54 am 

I made a double batch of the chickpea cutlets on the weekend to freeze. I used to make these ALL of the time but I haven't made them in YEARS. Glad to have them back in my life.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

lobsteriffic wrote:
I made a double batch of the chickpea cutlets on the weekend to freeze. I used to make these ALL of the time but I haven't made them in YEARS. Glad to have them back in my life.

I did this yesterday too. I love having them in the freezer and pop into the toaster oven when I don't feel like cooking or need a quick lunch. I feel that having them in my freezer relieves my temptation to buy vegan 'pre-made' burgers or Gardein. Don't get me wrong, I love them, and Gardein is good. But I really want to limit my processed food intake. And these chickpea cutlets are so easy to make and so darn tasty - I'd rather eat them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:33 am 

PorshaJo wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

I did this yesterday too. I love having them in the freezer and pop into the toaster oven when I don't feel like cooking or need a quick lunch. I feel that having them in my freezer relieves my temptation to buy vegan 'pre-made' burgers or Gardein. Don't get me wrong, I love them, and Gardein is good. But I really want to limit my processed food intake. And these chickpea cutlets are so easy to make and so darn tasty - I'd rather eat them.

Yes to all of this!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:07 pm 
Ninja Master

annabazoo wrote:
So yesterday my buddy and i were hanging out, making sushi. I brought out Vconn for the sushi rice instructions. He thought the title was funny- he said it sounded like a magic book that veganizes food. For example, you go to someone's house, and they only have non-veg food to eat. Then you bring out Vegonomicon, say some magic words, and there it is! The food is magically vegan.
Maybe Vconn isn't a magical book that magically turns food vegan, but it's about the closest thing i have discovered. So far.

I wish such a thing existed! Because that would be awesome.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

lobsteriffic wrote:
PorshaJo wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Yes to all of this!

I'm jealous of the self control I'm seeing from you two! I always double and freeze, but I throw so many in the microwave so quickly. . . . that it still only lasts a couple days. Sigh. :[
(I am blasphemous and often just eat them plain with a lot of Frank's Red Hot. Kind of like vegan boneless wings. . . )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:57 am 

I've totally been known to chow down on a plain chickpea cutlet, they are just so tasty!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm always amazed that I still find new recipes in this book, 4 years (for me) later.

I made the curried udon stir-fry last night. Really tasty and easy. I used faux chicken instead of seitan though, and I used a whole bag, which was way too much. But still good!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I am making the cashew ricotta regularly these days to use as a spread for breakfast. It's so tasty (although I skip the garlic, because mornings)! I love it with some fresh chopped tomatoes on top as well, and keeps me stoked with the proteins the whole morning.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:52 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Anek wrote:
I am making the cashew ricotta regularly these days to use as a spread for breakfast. It's so tasty (although I skip the garlic, because mornings)! I love it with some fresh chopped tomatoes on top as well, and keeps me stoked with the proteins the whole morning.

That sounds really good! It just might give me an excuse to keep bagels on hand.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:44 pm 
Ninja Master

lobsteriffic wrote:
I've totally been known to chow down on a plain chickpea cutlet, they are just so tasty!

A batch doesnt last a day in my house! If I have one* for dinner, my dad and I will scarf the rest of them, bit by bit, before the end of the day.

*ok 2, who am I kidding?

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The tofu florentine is such a weird combination for us, but it's really comfort foody and satisfying. I used the IDI basic tofu, the VCON cheesy sauce, and kind of winged the rest. Very nommy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:21 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

creep wrote:
I'm always amazed that I still find new recipes in this book, 4 years (for me) later.

I made the curried udon stir-fry last night. Really tasty and easy. I used faux chicken instead of seitan though, and I used a whole bag, which was way too much. But still good!

I love that stir fry! Whenever we go to an asian grocery I buy fresh udon noodles to stick in the freezer to have on hand for this. I almost always make it with a package of trader joe's beefless strips instead of seitan and they work amazingly well in it!

Veganomicon is still my #1 favorite and most used cookbook & I'm also always surprised by the new things I find in it! It's the book that keeps on giving for ever & ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:46 pm 

Tonight I made the seitanic jambalaya for the second time. The first time was probably almost a year ago, and despite following the recipe pretty closely, it was kind of terrible. I had spongey seitan, and the whole thing was dry and not pleasing - hubby did not eat seconds.

But having decided that the seitan cutlets are yummy, I decided to try it again tonight, with a couple changes. Only one can of beans instead of two since our cans are bigger here, half the seitan (I had already eaten some cutlets after all) and I used seitan cooking liquid instead of vegetable broth. And man, was it ever good. Saucy and tangy and the beans are moist and soft. Mr Moon had a second bowl and no complaints.

I don't know if the first time it just wasn't enough liquid to go around or if the rice just let me down, but it turned out so well tonight I can totally picture making it again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:25 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Last night I made the black beans burgers for the first time, and I must say I was a bit meh. They didn't really have any taste, and I followed the recipe exactly. Maybe though the spices didn't get well mixed because my bf took the first bite and said "woah, that's a lot of spices", and then he agreed that there wasn't much taste in the rest of the burger, so he might have gotten the one spot where the spices concentrated.
I will try again with different spices, maybe curry like in the black beans burgers in IDI.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next