| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:00 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think that recipe doesn't call for any salt? The first time I made them, I tasted the mixture before mixing into patties, then added some salt (1 tsp?) and it got way way better.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:03 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Indeed, there is no salt in the recipe, I also wondered but then figured the veggie broth would be enough. Good to know salt helps, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:18 am 
Saggy Butt

Adding salt and making sure the spices are blended should work like a charm. I find with beany-seitan that it is necessary to blend everything before adding the gluten. Once gluten gets in, it gets difficult to distribute the spices evenly.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:22 am 
Nailed to the V

Has anyone tried freezing the cashew ricotta? I'm thinking of making it but it will make far more than I need

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:15 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Star wrote:
Has anyone tried freezing the cashew ricotta? I'm thinking of making it but it will make far more than I need

It freezes really well, at least for use in lasagna. There might be a slight texture change, but it's not noticeable in the finished product.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:51 am 
Nailed to the V

Thanks will freeze half for the following week

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I want to make the chickpea cutlets but have never seen "vital wheat gluten" for sale where I live (Scotland). Can anyone tell me if there's an easy substitution or a place I could look to find this?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:39 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Moon wrote:
Tonight I made the seitanic jambalaya for the second time. The first time was probably almost a year ago, and despite following the recipe pretty closely, it was kind of terrible. I had spongey seitan, and the whole thing was dry and not pleasing - hubby did not eat seconds.

But having decided that the seitan cutlets are yummy, I decided to try it again tonight, with a couple changes. Only one can of beans instead of two since our cans are bigger here, half the seitan (I had already eaten some cutlets after all) and I used seitan cooking liquid instead of vegetable broth. And man, was it ever good. Saucy and tangy and the beans are moist and soft. Mr Moon had a second bowl and no complaints.

I don't know if the first time it just wasn't enough liquid to go around or if the rice just let me down, but it turned out so well tonight I can totally picture making it again.

I love love love this recipe, but I think that I nearly always have to cook it longer than stated in the recipe for the rice to cook completely. It might just be the rice I tend to use. (Also, I don't have a big enough covered casserole so I end up splitting it between two). At any rate, it's good that you gave it another try and got it to work for you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:05 pm 
Tofu Pup

Imogen wrote:
I want to make the chickpea cutlets but have never seen "vital wheat gluten" for sale where I live (Scotland). Can anyone tell me if there's an easy substitution or a place I could look to find this?

Imogen, I've bought wheat gluten from Real Foods. It's kind of hidden away in with flour. The cutlets are yummy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Alix wrote:
Imogen wrote:

Imogen, I've bought wheat gluten from Real Foods. It's kind of hidden away in with flour. The cutlets are yummy.

Amazing, thanks! I'll check that out :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I want to make the mushroom and cauliflower pot pie again, but am thinking of being lazy and using puff pastry instead of the biscuits. Any thoughts about whether or not the recipe will need to be heavily tweaked? The recipe calls for 35-40 minutes of baking and I feel like the puff pastry will only need 20 or so..... Maybe I should bake for a 20 minutes with no crust and then add the crust and bake for 20? I don't really have that much experience with puff pastry so am just sort of guessing.

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Moon, I've has this bookmarked to veganize. Maybe the directions will give you an idea:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/chickpea-pot-pie/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

First of all, that looks super tasty.

Second, thank you! Looks I can just do the full cooking time in the recipe. Much appreciated. That's dinner planned for tonight!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

^ it was so perfectly good. Wish I had more now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yay! I'm so glad. I really need to try one of these.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mmm... so i put the cashew ricotta on top of pizza, along with pesto and thinly sliced potato, eggplant and mushrooms. it kinda turned a weird beige colour after being baked, but the whole combo was incredibly tasty anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

Moon, I think you are in Canada - where did you get vegan puff pastry? or what brand is it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Arisaig wrote:
Moon, I think you are in Canada - where did you get vegan puff pastry? or what brand is it?

I used the Pepperidge Farm puff pastry, but it has vitamin D3in it which I guess is the bad one? I didn't realize, and just knew it had been listed as vegan on various websites. Bah :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

who the hell puts vitamins in puff pastry??

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made veg broth for the first time ever today and i used the recipe in Vcon.

it has 9 cups of water and i ended up with 4 cups of broth. does that sound about right? seemed like not that much to me but ive never made broth before so i dunno.
i had it just above a simmer. the water was ever so slightly bubbling.
i squeezed the shiitake out of the vegs at the end to get more liquid out.
i dont have a cheese cloth so i strained it in a fine mesh strainer. i wonder if using a cheese cloth would make it easier to squish the liquid out of the vegs?

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Cheese cloth does make it a bit easier, but I no longer have any and just use my mesh strainer. I do feel like making veg broth always seems like you don't get enough out of it.

I make mine in the slow cooker now: a chopped up wilted leek, an onion, a couple carrots and celery stalks and a couple bay leaves with some salt, set at low for 8 hours. Or just a bag of vegetable trimmings from the freezer. I don't use starchy veg, or mushrooms to some the stock super neutral tasting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:47 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the filling for the seitan pot pie yesterday but topped it with mashed potatoes à la sheperd's pie. I liket the idea to use chickpea flour for the roux but I had issues with the amount of oil not being nearly enough for the 1/4 cup of chickpea flour. I had to add some oil to unclump everything. And then it was not enough to bind the liquid so I added some starch slurry to the filling before popping it into the oven. Other than that it was lovely.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made two dishes from good ol' V'con today: Romesco Chickpeas and Chile Cornmeal Crusted Tofu. Soooo good! I double-breaded my tofu, used super-firm, and baked the sticks for about 13 minutes per side. Yum yum yum.

The chickpeas might be one of my favorite new ways to eat chickpeas. The sauce is outstanding. I just want to drink it up with a straw.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:03 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Lily wrote:
I made the filling for the seitan pot pie yesterday but topped it with mashed potatoes à la sheperd's pie. I liket the idea to use chickpea flour for the roux but I had issues with the amount of oil not being nearly enough for the 1/4 cup of chickpea flour. I had to add some oil to unclump everything. And then it was not enough to bind the liquid so I added some starch slurry to the filling before popping it into the oven. Other than that it was lovely.

Yum, this sounds perfect! I think I will steal your idea and use cauliflower in the filling since there will be potatoes on the top!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:26 am 
Nailed to the V

I made the Mole Skillet Pie with Greens for dinner last night and absolutely loved it. The cornbread topping was flaky and tender, and the mole sauce is so flavorful and complex. I added some brown lentils I had lying around and leftover chopped seitan to the filling, and it turned out wonderfully. I love the fact that you can pull out V'con every now and then and discover something new and exciting!

Reply to topic  [ 771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next