| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:22 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Livi ate a whole batch of banana wheat germ muffins in 3 days.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Almond quinoa muffins typo
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:37 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

lspewak wrote:
For the almond-quinoa muffins, one of the steps is to add in the baking powder and baking soda, but there is no baking soda listed in the ingredients. I've made these a couple times adding in baking soda in the same proportions as the applesauce-oat bran muffins (another favorite) but wondered if anyone knew what the recipe is supposed to be? Baking soda or no baking soda?

Just baking powder, no baking soda.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:10 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I went through VCON once and put checks next to each dish in the table of contents I've made. At that time I'd made more than 2/3rds of the recipes and lately I've been making even more new [to me] things: Mac Daddy, the jambalaya and the butternut-chestnut roast have all been made in the past couple weeks. Last night I served that simple seitan-mushroom-spinach dish over some angel hair pasta, and I plan to make the acorn squash/pear/shiitake soup this weekend. I really love this book because not only are there all those recipes which I've used countless times, but every time I have an ingredient/veg I feel like eating or that needs to be used up, I can look in VCON and I swear 95% of the time there's an interesting idea or delicious recipe right there!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

Made the pumpkin ziti this evening for supper after all the talk on this thread about it. Loved it. But be warned it is super filling. I kind of didn't realize at the time but I'm sitting here an hour or so after and am seriously stuffed
Happy tummy :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:16 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I really need to make pumpkin ziti, so much positive talk about it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:56 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Ever since I bought Vcon 2+ years ago I've been on a mission to make all the recipes. I cook a fair amount and I'm still only about 2/3 recipes through, I'm starting to get to the ones that I'm less likely to make, for one reason or another.

About 2 weeks ago I made the Kabocha-Udon Winter stew. Holy hell! So good. Now I keep making it again and again. I'm obsessed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

oh my gosh vcon is one of my all time favorite cookbooks and every time i come back to it i find new recipes i didn't pay attention to that sound scrumptious and have to try, so awesome!
my favorites from this book include:
chickpea cutlets = amazing!,
white bean aioli,
a hummus recipe is my go to hummus recipe,
caesar salad with roasted garlic croutons (with added nooch),
quinoa salad with black beans and mango,
lentil salad,
lemony roasted potatoes,
chickpea quinoa pilaf,
saffron garlic rice,
mediterranean-style lima beans,
chickpeas romesco,
marinated ilalian and asian tofu,
chickpea noodle soup,
french lentil soup with tarragon and thyme,
leek and bean cassoulet with biscuits,
seitan piccata with olives and green beans,
red lentil cauliflower curry,
pumpkin baked ziti with caramelized onions and sage crumb topping,
curried udon noodle stir-fry,
udon with mushrooms and kale stir-fry,
cashew ricotta,
marinara sauce,
backyard bbq sauce,
mushroom gravy,
fresh rosemary focaccia,
choc-choc chip walnut cookies,
wheat free choc chip cookies,
pumpkin crumb cake with pecan streusel,
coconut-lemon bunt cake,
vanilla ice cream

again this is another cookbook that i come back to time and time again and find new gems that i have looked over before. there have been a few recipes that i haven't been fond of but they are clearly in the minority and not worth mentioning. i love this book and always recommend it when people ask for suggestions!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:35 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I had a bunch of candy canes and peppermints, so I made chocolate-mint cookies using the Chocolate-Chocolate Chip-Walnut Cookie recipe as a template. That recipe is infinitely useful!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Eating the "Roasted Fennel and Hazelnut Salad with Shallot Dressing" p.86. I reduced the oil in the dressing by about half. Delicious! On my second bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:23 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

there are so many i like...

walnut mushroom pate
samosa potatos (but just as mashed potatoes, i dont bother re-stuffing)
lemony roasted potatoes
chickpea romanesco
mushroom gravy
tofu ricotta
CASHEW RICOTTA! - worth the price of the whole forking book
Mexican Millet (make it like once a week - every time i make tacos!)
Saffron garlic rice
curried tofu
Moussaka - the pine nut cream sauce is GREAT
roasted chickpea veggie stew

dude, i know i am forgetting some...those are my staples though. i keep going back to them. each time i get a feeling like i wanna buy a new cookbook i should just go back to this thread

oops...just bought AFR. bah.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:56 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

i just had the bok choy with crispy shallots for the second time. i love that recipe!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:58 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I haven't made enough. I'll get on that!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:40 pm 

I just finished making baked potato and greens soup with potato wedge croutons, it smells divine!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:24 am 
Saggy Butt

I've just made the lost coconut custard pie which we're having for xmas eve (tonight!) dessert. I guess it's not really seasonal but it sounds yummy. Slightly worried it's not going to set though...it's been cooling for a couple of hours now and i've just moved it to the fridge. Does anyone know what the texture should be like?! Firm/wobbly?! It's got about 5/6 hours 'til we eat it..........

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:02 am 

I made chickpea cutlets for the first time yesterday, they were great! I had the pan up a bit too high and burnt them a little bit before the insides completely cooked, but they were delicious! I have two wrapped in the fridge to cook for lunch or dinner today so hopefully I can avoid that this time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just received this as a gift yesterday! So excited to get home and start cooking!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:50 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

So I finally tried the pumpkin pasta over the weekend. So good. I do think it makes too much of the breadcrumb topping, but that just gives me an excuse to make it again, so I can use up the rest of the breadcrumbs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:34 pm 
Semen Strong

The mole skillet is absolutely my favorite V'con dish. I made it for Xmas, and the left-overs have just gotten yummier and yummier. I had the last leftovers with steamed greenbeans and miso-tahini sauce. NOM!h

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:23 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I know I wrote here earlier that I loved the Mac Daddy, but I had to report back on the frozen Mac Daddy. I never really enjoyed any frozen pasta dish before but the Mac Daddy was perfect more than a month after I froze it - somehow the pasta was not mushy. Unfortunately I couldn't lick the dish since I was at work.

Post subject: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:48 pm 
Tofu Pup

Made the chick pea patties tonite......oh my....what a treat and a total new favorite!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:50 pm 
Huffs Nooch

They are delish!
My favorite is the Corn and Edammame salad. So simple, yet so delicious. I make it frequently.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ok, so I was a bit too efficient/enthusiastic today and made the vcon eggplant potato moussaka despite already having made another dinner for this evening. I figured I could make the moussaka and keep it in the fridge until tomorrow night.
BUT, for some reason I actually cooked the moussaka too...

How can I reheat it?! Do you think just stick it back in the oven, perhaps with some foil over it? For how long approx??

Also, it's just me and my Mum eating at home and I halved the recipe but it's still huge. Do you suppose I could freeze some of it?
It looks so beautiful I know it's going to be good and the idea of having a couple of pieces in the freezer to pull out on a rainy day is very appealing.

Sorry for all the questions.
Hope someone can help. Thank you :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

Arisaig wrote:
I know I wrote here earlier that I loved the Mac Daddy, but I had to report back on the frozen Mac Daddy. I never really enjoyed any frozen pasta dish before but the Mac Daddy was perfect more than a month after I froze it - somehow the pasta was not mushy. Unfortunately I couldn't lick the dish since I was at work.

Good to know. I've got some of the pumpkin ziti in my freezer right now and I'm guessing as it's sort of similar it should defrost just as well!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

greenknittinggal wrote:
Ok, so I was a bit too efficient/enthusiastic today and made the vcon eggplant potato moussaka despite already having made another dinner for this evening. I figured I could make the moussaka and keep it in the fridge until tomorrow night.

How can I reheat it?! Do you think just stick it back in the oven, perhaps with some foil over it? For how long approx??

Also, it's just me and my Mum eating at home and I halved the recipe but it's still huge. Do you suppose I could freeze some of it?
It looks so beautiful I know it's going to be good and the idea of having a couple of pieces in the freezer to pull out on a rainy day is very appealing.

I'm afraid I have no help but find you adorable for accidentally cooking something =P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

greenknittinggal wrote:

It's been a long time since I made this, I did make the moussaka back in testing days, but I believe I froze some portions and it was fine.

I usually reheat cassaroles at 350 degrees for say around 15 to 20 minutes (will take longer to heat more servings, sort of thing). I like stuff dried out, so I'd leave the foil off, but you might want to leave the foil off and only take it off for the last five minutes or so to preserve some of the moisture and then take it off near the end of your cooking time for a bit of a crisp finish. Hope it turns out okay.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next