| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

The mole pie is one dish I've often been meaning to make from this book but just never have. Soon, I'll do it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had a stomach virus or something the only time I ever made the mole skillet pie, and now I feel sick when I think about it. THANKS, BODY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:18 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Elephant rolls. Oddly life changing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:07 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Made the Chickpea Romesco for the first time on the weekend, it was pretty good, but I am used to the AFR Moroccan Chickpeas and Zucchini and they seemed pretty similar overall. Good but probably won't repeat and will continue with the AFR recipe that has the veggies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:17 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Why have I never made the crepes before now? Lovely, silky rounds of crepe-y goodness and so, so easy. Impressed the hell out of my husband.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:36 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Made the potato and kale enchiladas tonight. Oh my, they are so yummy! Me and my husband both loved them. We love enchiladas but I usually just do a corn and black bean one which is also really good but this version was a welcome change. I will definitely make them again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:25 pm 
Semen Strong

I doubled the filling for the leek and bean cassoulet. I froze half, so next time I want cassoulet, I can have it in under 30 mins! Woooo!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:37 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

The vanilla yogurt pound cake (with lots of chocolate chips and minus the orange/lemon zest) was so delicious that it was gone the day after I made it. Also making chickpea cutlets and lemony potatoes this week.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
I doubled the filling for the leek and bean cassoulet. I froze half, so next time I want cassoulet, I can have it in under 30 mins! Woooo!

This is such a go to meal for me, why haven't I thought about doing this?!? You, madam, are a genius.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:05 am 

Despite having had this cookbook since it came out & it being my number one favorite cookbook, I had never made the fudgy wudgy blueberry brownies until this week. OH MAN. They're so good, and they were so easy! I think partially I hadn't tried them because I've made one too many vegan brownie recipes that were disappointing or just bad, and despite the fact that I always loved brownies in my pre-vegan days, it put me off of them. The chocolate/blueberries/blueberry jam combo with these makes some kind of magic happen! Has anyone tried them with other kinds of jam? I'm a big canner and I make lots of jam to give away as gifts, but my husband and I don't actually eat a lot of it ourselves and I've got a bunch I'd love to use up. I have a blackberry jam I'm going to try that I imagine won't be that different, but I'm wondering what strawberry rhubarb would be like in these (still with the cup of blueberries added).

I'm trying to do a millionth pass on this cookbook with fresh eyes (it's amazing how many time you can do that with this cookbook) and make some of the recipes that I've always just looked past. We had the po boy sandwiches this week - we keep getting cabbage in our winter csa and this was a good way to use some up in the coleslaw on them. They were so good! Next time I will probably try to make some of the components in advance, because then these would be so fast to throw together. The only bummer was that we used par baked baguettes that came frozen and had to be put in the oven before use & I left them in for about 5 minutes too long so they were VERY crunchy. On perfectly lightly toasted bread/baguettes these would have been perfect!

Next I'm going to try the pineapple/cashew/quinoa stir fry - I hadn't even noticed this recipe before until I saw it mentioned here. I think maybe because the way it appears in the book, with the title and first section on the bottom of one page with the remaining on the next. It has so many things I love in it, I'm excited to try it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:17 am 

seitanicverses wrote:
The mole pie is one dish I've often been meaning to make from this book but just never have. Soon, I'll do it!

I menat to add something about this - I've only made the mole pie twice, but it was really good! The mole sauce was a little bit of a pain to make, and I remember when I tasted it for the first time on it's own, I kind of hated it and was bummed about how much time I'd just spent on something I wasn't going to like. But one the sauce was in with the greens and beans and with the cornbread on top - it was so good! It just all worked really well together. The sauce recipe made enough for using with the skillet pie twice, so I froze half and used it a few months later to have again, but that was a few years ago now & I haven't made it again. Thinking about it is making me want to!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:23 am 

That pineapple/cashew/quinoa stir fry is magic. I don't know how I managed to have this cookbook for so many years and never make it. I don't love mint in things, but I wanted to make it the first time as written. Don't leave it out! the basil and mint combined to make some kind of new taste that I don't think I'd ever had before. So good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the Samosa-Stuffed Potatoes for lunch, since I had all the ingredients. Threw in some small-dice fresh green/string beans with the onions and carrots.

They were good and yummy - reminiscent of the pregan cheesy/bacon-y potato skins of my yesteryear, but without the grease factor (easy to pick up, rather than being forced to use a fork to machete thru the cheesy goo). Pretty yellow, too, and altogether colorful with the veggies. Sprinkled on some nooch, because I can't resist.

Will make again! Impressive twist to a simple baked potato.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:05 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

heatherkelly wrote:
Despite having had this cookbook since it came out & it being my number one favorite cookbook, I had never made the fudgy wudgy blueberry brownies until this week. OH MAN. They're so good, and they were so easy! I think partially I hadn't tried them because I've made one too many vegan brownie recipes that were disappointing or just bad, and despite the fact that I always loved brownies in my pre-vegan days, it put me off of them. The chocolate/blueberries/blueberry jam combo with these makes some kind of magic happen!

Agreed, this one is a winner. I've made it multiple times for non-vegan groups of people.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:03 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Made the Baked Pumpkin Ziti tonight for dinner. Despite the amount of bowls I used in prep, it came together pretty quickly. Here are my thoughts:
1. Cashew ricotta could save the world. Seriously.
2. I thought it was amazing. The contrast between the breadcrumbs and the pasta was spot on.
3. It makes a ton when you're cooking for two.
4. My better half didn't like it. He likes his pasta "with tomato sauce and garlic". Any suggestions for a version he might like better? Maybe I could substitute marinara for the pumpkin? I feel like I should add something in addition if I did this? Maybe just use the cashew ricotta for manicotti and top with marinara?
5. I will be eating this for lunch all week since he didn't like it. Better for me I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Cashew ricotta and marinara make an excellent traditional baked ziti for those who don't like pumpkin. I like there to be some clumps of ricotta left rather than have it mixed totally smooth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:07 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yes, exactly - the recipe is also excellent with marinara subbed for the pumpkin.

One of the HFS's in town sells a version of PBZ made with sweet potato and kale. But so much of the prepared food there is Veganomicon derived, it's pretty easy to tell where it came from.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:07 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

quietkaos wrote:
Made the Baked Pumpkin Ziti tonight for dinner. Despite the amount of bowls I used in prep, it came together pretty quickly. Here are my thoughts:
1. Cashew ricotta could save the world. Seriously.
2. I thought it was amazing. The contrast between the breadcrumbs and the pasta was spot on.
3. It makes a ton when you're cooking for two.
4. My better half didn't like it. He likes his pasta "with tomato sauce and garlic". Any suggestions for a version he might like better? Maybe I could substitute marinara for the pumpkin? I feel like I should add something in addition if I did this? Maybe just use the cashew ricotta for manicotti and top with marinara?
5. I will be eating this for lunch all week since he didn't like it. Better for me I guess.

Make the v'con lasagna for your guy. He should love that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:40 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made the lemon coconut bundt cake, and it was lovely. I subbed 1/3 cup applesauce for a 1/3 cup of the oil (I still used 1/3 cup oil), so it was lower in fat but it didn't seem to be missing anything. Sooooooooo good!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:53 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

crazynut wrote:
I made the lemon coconut bundt cake, and it was lovely. I subbed 1/3 cup applesauce for a 1/3 cup of the oil (I still used 1/3 cup oil), so it was lower in fat but it didn't seem to be missing anything. Sooooooooo good!
I usually use light coconut milk and not as much shredded coconut to make it lighter. Last time I made it I actually baked them into cupcakes and topped with a lemony glaze. The batter made exactly two dozen cupcakes, baking time 20 minutes. FYI if anyone wants to try it.

Last week I made the lower-fat deep chocolate bundt cake and man it was good! It actually got better and stayed very moist for several days. It was a tad crumbly but not at all dry so it didn't matter. I made the applesauce the recipe called for in the microwave out of one small apple and a tad of stevia. So easy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Made the hot sauce glazed tempeh.It was so easy I'm not sure if it counts for cooking. Served it with steamed veggies and reheated roasted sweet potatoes. It was ideal for lunch.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:30 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Has anyone made the leek and bean cassoulet with chickpeas instead of beans and does it work okay, or does it need a mushier bean? I bought my Veganomicon with me while I'm visiting my parents and have seen this is a very omni-friendly recipe so I'm hoping to wow them but we have already soaked chickpeas to make the chickpea cutlets, then my mum said she had several leeks need cooking so now I can't decide what to make!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've never made it with chickpeas and I'm sure it would taste fine but I do think it'll be better with the white beans.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ah you guys give me so much inspiration to cook something out of the Veganomicon today. It has been a while since I picked it up, I'll do so later today :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:50 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Moon wrote:
I've never made it with chickpeas and I'm sure it would taste fine but I do think it'll be better with the white beans.

Thanks, Moon! We went with the cutlets instead.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next