The Homemade Vegan Pantry 34%  34%  [ 13 ]
Street Vegan 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen 42%  42%  [ 16 ]
Plant-Powered Families 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Vegan Without Borders 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Afro Vegan 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Pick Your Own (comment below) 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 38
 Post subject: Help Me Pick My Next Cookbook (or two)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I own a million cookbooks (actually 100+), but I need more. more! We're on a tight budget this year, but I've set aside enough cash this month to buy 1 or 2 new books. It's been 6 whole months since I bought a new one, so clearly I am due a reward for my good behavior. Please help me rank these books so I can decide which one to buy:

The Homemade Vegan Pantry
Street Vegan
Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
Plant-Powered Families (I own all of Dreena's other books, so not sure if I need this one too)
Vegan Without Borders (I own Vegan Eats World, World Vegan Feast and World Vegetarian)
Afro Vegan (I have Bryant Terry's other two books)

(I can't recall if people usually post this type of thread here or in food and cooking in general. Hopefully I'm not out of place here).

Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My Next Cookbook (or two)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The only one of these that I have is Street Vegan. Its a lovely cookbook with gorgeous photos. But all the recipes are so involved. Each has multiple components with lots of ingredients. You need some time to make these recipes. So far I only made one recipe which I liked. I'm reserving the others for the fall/winter time weekends when I have more time to spend cooking. Not sure if this would be something that would sway you. I know many people like quick recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:05 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I chose Vegan Without Borders and The Homemade Vegan Pantry. I agree with MissMandy re. Street Vegan. I've only made one or two recipes from it so far. As for Vegan Without Borders, it's my favourite of the "world" cookbooks (I have VEW and WVF too). It's just a little more practical than VEW if you tend to cook with a budget in mind, but the recipes are still diverse and interesting, and the format is more user-friendly than WVF, which somehow always seems to put me off when I browse it. You can't go wrong with The Homemade Vegan Pantry, it truly is one of those books that you can see yourself referring to for years to come. Although a lot of the recipes might be things you've already made, they either have slightly different ingredients or methods, and not just for the sake of being different.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:56 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

1. Afro Vegan
2. Vegan Pantry

If I picked another it would be Street Vegan, though it's not the most practical book in the world as in I probably wouldn't use it much.

All of Bryant Terry's books are more than worth it and Vegan Pantry is blowing my mind (check out the cookbook thread for it...a lot of us are having fun with it!). I never thought I'd buy or use it but ameyfm's review convinced me and I've made way more from it than from any other cookbook in a long, long time. http://veganeatsandtreats.blogspot.ca/2 ... vegan.html

And if you don't have Teff Love yet you should consider that!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:21 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh no! I still want all the books. Practically speaking, being able to find ingredients is a bigger factor for me than amount of time a recipe will take. I do have a few fancy spice shops near me and tons of Middle Eastern markets, but I don't have the budget for stocking tons of ingredients that I only use in one recipe. I'm really intrigued by Richa's book because I've never had luck with cooking Indian food at home -- but the possible need for fancy spices is a concern. I think I'm leaning towards Vegan Pantry since everyone here and in the thread for that book seems to be loving it so much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:17 am 
Tofu Pup

I have about 20 or so vegan cookbooks, but out of your list the one that I would recommend without hesitation is the Vegan Pantry. I've made about a dozen recipes from it so far and I can honestly say that if I could keep only one cookbook, this would be it.

It doesn't have a lot of recipes for meals, it assumes you have other books for that, but if you like having your own homemade staples, dairy and meat replacements for those recipes... this is the book.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:38 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I picked Plant-Powered Families, and would suggest that you also pick up Let Them Eat Vegan by the same author. You won't go wrong!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:30 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I own none of them but I am seriously lusting after richa's, vegan pantry, ppf AND vegan without borders.

That said if I had the money for only two and was planning on purchasing tonight I would pick borders and richa's. I've wanted borders for some time and richa's fills a niche I don't currently have occupied (plus sounds amazing and I love her!!!)

I wish I could afford more books right now.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:47 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I voted before I saw the comments but with such a huge library, figure out what you have and what you would like more of. I wasn't as impressed with Vegan Without Borders when I first got it but as I cook through it, I am loving its simplicity more than ever. I love Vegan Richa's cookbook but if you don't have access to Indian spices, this would not work well. I actually have all the books but haven't cooked out of Street Vegan. In fact, I have probably reviewed all the others on my blog already. You can find all my reviews here: https://tastespace.wordpress.com/category/book-review/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:53 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Homemade vegan pantry is just really great. So many things I want to try from it.

Street vegan is visually amazing, and I have no doubt that the recipes are delicious, I'm just way to busy right now at work get my head around how involved they are. I'm going to make some stuff from it when things calm down.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm enjoying everyone's advice and blog reviews. I've decided to definitely get Vegan Pantry -- just waiting for Barnes and Noble to send me a 20% off coupon like they do pretty much every Thursday. For book 2, I'm torn between Vegan Without Borders, Afro Vegan and Vegan Richa still. I had the brilliant idea of trying to borrow them from the library, but there is not one copy of any of them in the entire library network (so pretty much the whole state). It's almost like the universe is telling me to just buy them all.