| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: American Vegan Kitchen...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i got a gift card to BN and used a coupon code too :) can't wait for this book to arrive! this might tide me over until 'grills gone vegan' comes out in a few weeks ;)

any *must make* recipe suggestions?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:
i got a gift card to BN and used a coupon code too :) can't wait for this book to arrive! this might tide me over until 'grills gone vegan' comes out in a few weeks ;)

any *must make* recipe suggestions?

We have a ton of favorites, but we make the scrambles the most... particularly the Chinatown and Southwestern ones.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

and the tacos!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:27 am 
Nailed to the V

Vanilla Raisin Bread! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

Cinnacrunch muffins! Love those.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

has anyone made the ribz recipe from page 150? hubby literally petted the color photo of this recipe and i really want to make it for him.

i've only made seitan once before, and it was baked not steamed, so any tips and/or advice would be appreciated!

my countertop electric steamer is too small to handle this recipe so i'm going to try to find one of those cheap metal petal-like fold-out colander steamer type things that sit in the bottom of the pot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mine were really tough, but I think we grilled them too long. We were using a charcoal grill, and I found it difficult to time and know for sure when they were done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
Mine were really tough, but I think we grilled them too long. We were using a charcoal grill, and I found it difficult to time and know for sure when they were done.

hhmmmmm....... we have a gas grill, maybe my hubby will be able to figure that part out......

before your grilled the ribz, was the consistency/texture okay??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It just felt like seitan. I didn't taste them before grilling though.

It was at least a year and a half ago, maybe longer. I have much more seitan experience now. I should try again!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes, i still definitely plan to try them out. i saw a too small cheap metal petal collander steamer at the grocery store earlier. need to check out our asian market or head back out to bed bath and beyond, i saw a cheapo one there last time, i just can't remember what size it was

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

I finally had all the ingredients for cinnacrunch mufffins. holy. moses. these just ballooned up, and taste AMAZING (Not the best thing to eat when you have the stomach flu) but oh well :)

i really have to go through this book and mark stuff down.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

made the TVP sloppy joes (page 106 I think?) and hubby & I both enjoyed them. Since going vegan, I've actually made a few different vegan sloppy joe recipes and hubby said this one is the best. He really liked the pickles. The tomato sauce really fancifies the dish rather than just using ketchup. However, both of us missed that punchy tomato taste so next time I will add in some all natural ketchup to sub for some of the tomato sauce. Definitely a recipe keeper. The recipe says it serves 4. We had it for dinner twice in a row and still have enough for another night, but I'm freezing our leftovers and cooking something fresh tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:19 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Beer-simmered seitan stroganoff with cracked pepper pg. 156 American Vegan KItchen

-yum! I liked the tamarind in the tomato sauce. :)
-used the seitan from Vegan Diner
-more of a goulash than a stroganoff but mighty tasty.
-did not taste the beer (youpee!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

made the pineapple upside down cake on page 189, it may not be healthy due to all the sugar, but it is mighty tasty! hubby really liked it too and commented on how nice the crumb was, this is definitely not a dense cake.

i was surprised the recipe did not call for any pineapple juice so i subbed 1/4 cup pineapple juice (what was in the can) for part of the soy milk.

after 20 minutes, i inverted the cake onto a platter but some of the sticky caramel stayed behind in the pan which is why you aren't seeing a photo of the entire cake ;) no worries, i carefully scraped and put the sticky caramel stuff back on top.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:19 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the alfredo again today, haven't had it it 2 years or something. It was as good as I remembered! You think it's gonna be really tangy and strong with the vinegar and mustard and garlic and chills, but it's not. It's so flavorful and creamy with just enough tang. Love it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:53 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Did you do the marsala version? Because I like it far better.

I got the gyros at the Chicago Diner last week and the idea is the same but I didn't like it nearly as much as the AVK version I make at home. Well, maybe they throw more seitan on it there than I do,but the taste isn't as good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Love Child wrote:
I made the alfredo again today, haven't had it it 2 years or something. It was as good as I remembered! You think it's gonna be really tangy and strong with the vinegar and mustard and garlic and chills, but it's not. It's so flavorful and creamy with just enough tang. Love it.

one of the things I love so much about this book (actually Tami's recipes in general I guess) is her sauces - sometimes it seems like they have random ingredients but it's like some kind of alchemy, they end up tasting so right! the tuna-free casserole is another example of this; when I first made it I was all "water chestnuts? artichokes? huh?" but it's one of my favorites!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:31 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Efcliz wrote:
Did you do the marsala version? Because I like it far better.

Nah, I just used white cooking wine. I'll have to ask my dad if he has some marsala, can't imagine how it could get any better though!

Audrey wrote:
one of the things I love so much about this book (actually Tami's recipes in general I guess) is her sauces - sometimes it seems like they have random ingredients but it's like some kind of alchemy, they end up tasting so right! the tuna-free casserole is another example of this; when I first made it I was all "water chestnuts? artichokes? huh?" but it's one of my favorites!

Oh, that casserole was the first recipe I made from this book, so good! I have to revisit that one too.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:33 pm 
WELFARIST!

The cinnacrunch muffins are off the hook. Thanks to pandacookie who mentioned them enough here and there to make me want to make them some time, some time being this weekend and they are divine!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the ribz in my oven steamer, and they worked out great. (I just boiled water, wrapped in foil, and them steamed in oven).

what didn't taste so good was the tuna melt. i had to throw it away.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm about to dive into the Tex Mex Taco salad. I have everything for the salad itself (veg, seitan component, dressing) but I didn't notice the suggesting serving of corn and avocado salsa, so I don't have that and I forgot to buy tortilla chips! Oh, well, all the components separately seem mighty tasty. I'm just going into the kitchen to throw it together. I think it should be fine without the extra fixins'.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Yum, you guys. This salad is super good. It's really great without the serving suggestions, even! But I can just imagine if I had tortilla chips and the roasted corn salsa, more ZOMGZ than it already is! I'll be making this regularly, methinks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have a BBQ next month (I know it's a ways off, but I'm big on planning ahead) and was thinking of bringing the incrediburgers for the grill. The VWAV burgers are my all-time fave veg burgers to this point and I'm always happy to bring those, but I've brought them before and was thinking I'd try the incrediburgers as the patties sound flavorful when I read the recipe and just for a change. There's some feedback in this thread (most seem to really like them) but anyone else tried them and have comparisons of them to other burgers they've tried? My friends might want to try them because they're cool like that so I really want to bring the BEST VEGGIE BURGERS EVAR to knock their socks off at the BBQ.

Also, I agree the cheesy burger condiment is the best and I'll be bringing that to the BBQ too. And Julie Hasson's horseradish potato salad which is my personal fave tater salad!

Last night, I made the creamy tomato sauce spaghetti with tempeh cutlets. I've made the recipe before and really like it. It hits the hearty spaghetti spot, for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
I have a BBQ next month (I know it's a ways off, but I'm big on planning ahead) and was thinking of bringing the incrediburgers for the grill. The VWAV burgers are my all-time fave veg burgers to this point and I'm always happy to bring those, but I've brought them before and was thinking I'd try the incrediburgers as the patties sound flavorful when I read the recipe and just for a change. There's some feedback in this thread (most seem to really like them) but anyone else tried them and have comparisons of them to other burgers they've tried? My friends might want to try them because they're cool like that so I really want to bring the BEST VEGGIE BURGERS EVAR to knock their socks off at the BBQ.

Also, I agree the cheesy burger condiment is the best and I'll be bringing that to the BBQ too. And Julie Hasson's horseradish potato salad which is my personal fave tater salad!

Last night, I made the creamy tomato sauce spaghetti with tempeh cutlets. I've made the recipe before and really like it. It hits the hearty spaghetti spot, for sure.

I was a little new to seitan when I made those burgers, but mine were kind of tough and not as good as other burgers that don't take quite as long... more like a big block of seitan than chewy burger stuff. I think you have to steam them for a while before you can grill them?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks! Yeah, that's the other thing, I don't like seitan much. There's a taste to VWG that I just don't like but because they seem heavily seasoned, I thought that maybe I'd be okay with them. I will definitely steam before grilling. In fact, I'll probably grill ahead too and just throw them on the BBQ at the party just to warm and refresh them, sort of thing, because the grill will otherwise be covered with meat at the party and, you know, I don't want to full on cook them there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next