| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

I saw this recommended to me by Amazon, does anyone have it - is it worth contemplating? [It's not available in my library]

Post subject: Re: Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:41 pm 
WRETCHED

I have it, well there are two, I have the first one. I think it has a lot of decent recipes. I actually left it with my mom so I don't actually have it with me but there were quite a few things I liked from it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:29 am 
Inflexitarian

I've only eaten at the restaurant three or four times despite living within a 15 minute drive of one of their LA locations for at least as many years. With that said, a lot of vegan Angelenos ADORE their food.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:28 am 
WRETCHED

I live in Maryland, and I've been to their restaurant about 10 times or so :) (Ok ok, I do visit my parents in San Diego which is why). My parents, my omni stepdad especially loves Native Foods. They go all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:59 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

in my to buy cart...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:50 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have the original one and like it a lot. I wonder how the new one differs?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

this is the original one i think?
the publication date is Nov 4. 2003 :) i was just wondering if it was worth buying or not. a lot of resturant cookbooks fell flat to me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:37 pm 

I had heard there was a new one coming out, but maybe this is just a re-release? It has a new cover, but is still the 2003 edition inside. Many restaurant cookbooks seem much too complicated for everyday, or often even weekend, cooking. Native Foods is a lot more comfortable to use and has great ideas for simple prep for seitan, tofu, and tempeh recipes, and salads/dressings too. Anyone who likes the food at their restaurants will love the book too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:41 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah the one on Amazon is the original or a re-release of the original. I saw the new one at Native foods a couple months ago and I thought it was called Native foods celebrations or something similar. Anyway, the one on Amazon is the one I have and I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Even though I love the restaurant, I've never made anything out of the original cookbook, which I own. The recipes may have been great, but the design itself wasn't very inspiring. However, maybe the new book will have more color pictures to entice me. Here's an article about the new book: http://www.qsrmagazine.com/exclusives/s ... ur-secrets

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:32 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

cadryskitchen wrote:
Even though I love the restaurant, I've never made anything out of the original cookbook, which I own.

Same here. I'd love to get some recipe recommendations from this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:05 pm 

The Tempeh Basic Prep on p. 65 is my go-to recipe for prepping tempeh, except I use about 4x more ginger and 2x more garlic than called for. I adore the Thai Slaw on p. 188 and Tata's Tapendade on p. 140. I have used a lot of the dressings and sauces, but w/ less oil and sweeteners (my taste): Sassy Sweet and Sour Sauce, Green Tea Sesame Sauce, Mango Lime Vinaigrette.

Cons: Their recipe for making seitan from scratch is way too complicated. If you already have a ton of vegan cookbooks, you can probably find similar recipes in many of them too. And if you need pictures, this isn't a good choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:54 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Just got this and am totally underwhelmed by the recipes. I was hoping there would be recipes for some of the dishes they serve, but nope. Quite lame.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:45 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I love the restaurant. Have had the cookbook for like YEARS and never used it.

Every time i go to use it, i just go "Meh i'll just go to Native Foods"

So if you want the book, do you have other vegan cookbooks? Ill make a swap!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:07 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Adam Crisis wrote:
Just got this and am totally underwhelmed by the recipes. I was hoping there would be recipes for some of the dishes they serve, but nope. Quite lame.

Are you talking about the new Celebrations cookbook or the old version? I have the old version, but I haven't made anything from it. I've been curious about the new Celebrations one, but they're only selling it in their Native Foods restaurants so I haven't seen it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:39 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The only thing I ever made from this cookbook was the Tempeh Pate'. It's pretty amazing. I made it for many a family a function and they (all omni's) all raved and begged I bring it for every function thereafter. You can find the recipe online though. Nothing else seemed very exciting though, and I never did get around to trying anything else.

This thread makes me realize I have a lot of vegan books I should crack open and actually use. All too often the restaurant or author gets rave reviews and then the cookbooks collect dust in on the shelf in favor of Pinned or blogged recipes. That pate' is pretty great tho. It can be a bit saltier than I prefer, so if you find the recipe and make it, I would add salt sparingly and then adjust to your taste.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

mamachandra wrote:
The only thing I ever made from this cookbook was the Tempeh Pate'. It's pretty amazing. I made it for many a family a function and they (all omni's) all raved and begged I bring it for every function thereafter. You can find the recipe online though. Nothing else seemed very exciting though, and I never did get around to trying anything else.

This thread makes me realize I have a lot of vegan books I should crack open and actually use. All too often the restaurant or author gets rave reviews and then the cookbooks collect dust in on the shelf in favor of Pinned or blogged recipes. That pate' is pretty great tho. It can be a bit saltier than I prefer, so if you find the recipe and make it, I would add salt sparingly and then adjust to your taste.

lol this is what's happening to me
(or. i looooooooooove the recipies i've made already and just do that and don't explore)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

yep, same!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:19 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Just noticed this thread. It's not one of my most used books (there's a lot of recipes I haven't tried) but I have a few regular favourites. Anything with the tempeh pate (I love the tempeh salad), the Chinese salad, the soy amigo and the black bean salad I think are all tasty and easy week night meals. I'd be interested in any recommendations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:48 am 
Naked Under Apron

I haven't used this book too much (in the last few years it's been buried by so many new ones), but have loved what I've made.

The mecca azteca salad is great (the mango lime dressing is delicious!), and I liked the mad cowboy and gandhi bowls (I think those are the names). The cheesecake was also the best-tasting one I've made, using soy cream cheese and sour cream, but it definitely needs to bake for way longer than the recipe says. They also have a recipe for flamed banana salsa that I started adding to burritos. Sounds weird, but it's so good! If you like a little sweet in there. Oh and the caldo verde was really good too. I pureed most of it. Oh! And the salad with baked tofu, veggies, and balsamic- the Iron Yam. Loved that too.

I ignore when they call for "soy brests" (wth?) and just use whatever I feel like for protein.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:32 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I wasn't excited about the recipes in this book and just gave my copy away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:44 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I bought the "Celebrations" book on a whim when eating there the other day. I made the Ghoulish Gourds Parfait (pumpkin pie-like pudding and ginger cookies) to have for dessert tonight. Both the cookies and the pumpkin pie pudding tasted great on their own.
There's a Swedish meatball recipe I want to try soon too.