| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moosewood and Mollie Katzen Nostalgia Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:06 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I was looking through my cookbooks when we had the swap thread a few weeks ago, and I realized that I still have almost all of the Moosewood and Mollie Katzen books. I haven't cooked or veganized anything out of them in ages, but I'm not sure if that's because I wouldn't like the recipes as much any more (they always seemed pretty mildly spiced and/or not easily veganizable) or because I've just forgotten about them. Does anyone use these cookbooks and have recipes they like or recommend?

Mollie Katzen's first Moosewood cookbook was the first vegetarian cookbook I owned, and I have fond memories of making my first ever batches of hummus and falafel (where the recipe inexplicably included an egg). I was never so crazy about all the cottage cheese in everything, even back in pregan days. Oh! and the samosas were good, too. Enchanted Broccoli Forest taught me how to make bread from scratch and had decent bread recipes. Although the title recipe is just broccoli stalks in a pan of rice, which i never understood why anyone would want to eat.

edited for grammar

Post subject: Re: Moosewood and Mollie Katzen Nostalgia Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:43 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I really love the stovetop cassoulet from Vegetable Heaven, and it's already vegan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

Oh geez! I worked at a little veggie cafe and we had a ton of recipes based off (aka ripped off) of Moosewood ones. My absolute favorite is the Spiced Mexican Squash Stew from Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special because it's so simple and tasty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:24 pm 

nicolicious wrote:
Oh geez! I worked at a little veggie cafe and we had a ton of recipes based off (aka ripped off) of Moosewood ones. My absolute favorite is the Spiced Mexican Squash Stew from Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special because it's so simple and tasty

Is Daily Special the book that's all soup and salads? That's one of the few I don't own.. but spicy squash stew sounds pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:25 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The spicy carrot peanut soup from Moosewood Daily Special tastes amazing cold, just as the book suggests. Probably my favorite cold soup (with a little extra sriracha on top).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:37 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I grew up in Ithaca, but I didn't love Moosewood. Mollie Katzen:Madonna::Julie Jordan:Cyndi Lauper.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:47 pm 

just mumbles wrote:
I grew up in Ithaca, but I didn't love Moosewood. Mollie Katzen:Madonna::Julie Jordan:Cyndi Lauper.

Holy shiitake, I didn't think anyone else had ever heard of Julie Jordan!! She's related to me! I have a 20 year old Cabbagetown cafe shirt that's been hanging by a thread for about twenty years. And all her cookbooks, obvs. I still make a lot of her recipes.. they've held up well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I still use the tabouli salad recipe and the gazpacho is my favorite. Both summertime staples. I can't remember the name, but there is some spinach, tofu, and walnut loaf I like to do for holidays that is easy to veganize or maybe is it vegan? Can't remember. I also love the tutorial on how to stir fry. I was using those books years ago in the pre food blog days, so her step by step stuff like that was great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:19 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

just mumbles wrote:
I grew up in Ithaca, but I didn't love Moosewood.

snork! Even though I was veg when I lived in Ithaca (though Moosewood was not, I remember a kerfuffle about it serving fish or some such) I never went to Moosewood til I came back to Ithaca to visit. And then was sorely disappointed. Of course by then I was omni, so got what I deserved, and should have just stayed in the Chapterhouse where I wanted to be.

I did learn to make a decent tomato curry from the Moosewood cookbook, but eventually got tired of the butter-and-onions taste that every recipe seemed to have.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I still love the peanut sauce from "the new moosewood cookbook" (the one that's the original but updated), and LOVE the marinated mushrooms from the same book. I serve them at most parties I have and have converted many mushroom haters. I don't make much else from them, though I still have moosewood and enchanted broccoli forest. Also maybe the low fat one and still life with menu? Man, I should get rid of those, I never use them. Keepin' the first two for sure though.

I just gave away my Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home, though, after I confirmed that the Lemon Date Bars (http://fatmornings.com/recipes/Lemon+Date+Bars) recipe was posted online. So delicious! Sub in EB and cut the salt (I think the book specifies unsalted butter) and you're all set. But yeah, so that totals like 3 recipes that I consider favorites from all of my Moosewoods. I do like flipping through them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:49 pm 
Dead by dawn

The marinara variation of the Italian tomato sauce in the orginal Moosewood cookbook is still my go-to for from-scratch sauce for lasagna (I've tweaked it to my tastes over the years, most recently subbing Suzanne's Just Like Honey for the actual honey.)

I used to make the stuffed squash recipe a lot, too, but I haven't looked at that for years.