| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Tzippy wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:
What's a good vegan cookie to use for the "Graham cracker" crust? Quite frankly, I'm a little annoyed with the multitude of vegan crust recipes that call for an ingredient that almost always has honey. I have never seen a graham cracker in person that was vegan.

If it helps, this will be for the peanut butter and jelly cheesecake! I'd appreciate the help!

I haven't tried it yet, but I bought Cascadian Farm Graham Crunch to use for making a graham cracker crust.

I used cereal once too! I don't remember what kind it was but I definitely should have added more sugar. I hope yours is good!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:26 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Sooooo trying to make the pecan pie... my caramel turned to sugar... too much heat, right? will try it again if it does not work, it will be pumpkin pie because maple syrup should not be wasted this way....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

TomeOrnottome wrote:
Sooooo trying to make the pecan pie... my caramel turned to sugar... too much heat, right? will try it again if it does not work, it will be pumpkin pie because maple syrup should not be wasted this way....

The same thing happened to me making this pie last night! I didn't have enough brown sugar to try again, so I tried to salvage the caramel (broke up the sugar, added some creamer and a little corn syrup, cooked it again over lower heat, blended with a stick blender). It got caramel-ish again but was still a little gritty. I adjusted the amount of soy milk in the tofu mixture to account for the extra liquid and then blended everything together before adding the pecans. It baked up nicely but I have a feeling it'll be pretty crunchy. Oh well!

I'm definitely writing a note to myself about the temp for the caramel though!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:38 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Pinko wrote:
TomeOrnottome wrote:

The same thing happened to me making this pie last night! I didn't have enough brown sugar to try again, so I tried to salvage the caramel (broke up the sugar, added some creamer and a little corn syrup, cooked it again over lower heat, blended with a stick blender). It got caramel-ish again but was still a little gritty. I adjusted the amount of soy milk in the tofu mixture to account for the extra liquid and then blended everything together before adding the pecans. It baked up nicely but I have a feeling it'll be pretty crunchy. Oh well!

I'm definitely writing a note to myself about the temp for the caramel though!

I had the same issue making this the other night. We luckily had enough ingredients to remake the caramel and cooked it at much lower temps for about 5 mins instead of 10. I was worried because it seemed really liquidy before I put it in the oven and I thought I had gone to far over to the other side, but I just had a slice and it was amazing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:10 pm 

Yeah Thankfully I had enough (just enough!) to try one more time. I ended up cooking it on the 1 marker on the stove (so much for medium heat!!) I stopped at 8 min because it was starting to be gritty. The pie cooked well though. I think some time in the fridge will do it some good. Omnis liked it, even though I admitted there was tofu hahaha.

But yeah, caramel... I was really sad though to waste that much maple syrup.... Sigh. I made a note in the cookbook! Hope it was good Pinko!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Today I made the Volup. Pumpkin Pie for dinner. I've made it before and my family loves it. For some reason today I could not find my agar so I had to skip it. I was so worried about how it would turn out. It was perfect. It was a just bit tad soft in the center but it was more creamy. I really liked it that way and think in the future I will skip the agar again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:15 am 
Baking In The Flavor

MissMandy wrote:
Today I made the Volup. Pumpkin Pie for dinner. I've made it before and my family loves it. For some reason today I could not find my agar so I had to skip it. I was so worried about how it would turn out. It was perfect. It was a just bit tad soft in the center but it was more creamy. I really liked it that way and think in the future I will skip the agar again.

Good to know!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

PBJ cheesecake was too PBJ, not enough cheesecake. A decent pie, but not what I was hoping for.

I LOVE the texture of the pumpkin pie! But it was a bit undersweetened for my tastes. Definitely worth making again, with adjustments to the sugar! It had the most authentic texture I've ever had in a vegan pumpkin pie.

For the cheesecake crust, I went with crushed chocolate chip bunnies. It was quite effective!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My pecan pie turned out perfect despite my jacked up caramel. It's so good! We have a bunch of other desserts leftover and I'm subtly encouraging everyone to eat those so this one can be mine, all mine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:30 pm 

Pinko wrote:
My pecan pie turned out perfect despite my jacked up caramel. It's so good! We have a bunch of other desserts leftover and I'm subtly encouraging everyone to eat those so this one can be mine, all mine.

yay! I haven't tried the pie today (I went home with three whole slices...) so I don't know how it tastes (don't worry it will be breakfast tomorrow. Today was leftover cinnamon rolls...!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:25 am 
Huffs Nooch

I have had my first dud from this book. I have made *many* recipes from this book and loved them all. Then, I take a crack at what appears to be the easiest recipe in the book and we ended up throwing it out. I made the chocolate raspberry ganache tart. I really do not know what happened here. First, the shortbread crust just wasn't coming together. So I still froze it and baked it. It seemed to brown very fast. I searched around to see if there was a mistake in the recipe but found nothing. Then the ganache part. The coconut oil just dominated. I couldn't taste chocolate or raspberry and then the crust tasted burnt. Perhaps it wasn't for me.

I'll switch back over to my all time favorite the Cosmo Apple Pie. I have some apples in the house and feel I need to pick myself up 'baking wise' after that tart. BTW - the Cosmo Apple Pie is amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:01 am 
Tofu Pup

I just made the Appleberry Pie with blackberries. So simple but delicous...the combination of fruit made the filling taste like mulled wine!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33